Hill Country Rut

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

johndeere506
500 Club

Hill Country Rut

Unread postby johndeere506 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:54 am

I have both of Dan's HC dvds. I'm looking forward to the rut dvd. In the meantime, I have some Hill Country Rut questions for those with experience. I've hunted and scouted some in the hills, but not during rut yet, so next year will be the first HC rut hunt for me.

When you say hunt high, especially in the morning, does this always mean high, and close enough to the ridge on the leeward side while still being up in the prevailing winds, and above the leeward side thermals? If this is true then you should always be within 20 to 30 yards of the ridge I'm thinking, depending on how steep the slope is.

I've noticed the military crest fades downward as you go along the ridge in one spot, with a trail above and below. Meaning the military crest gets farther from the ridge as you travel the ridge. This would make the bucks only get the rising thermal, and probably drop down from the thermal tunnel. Would they follow that then, or stay in the tunnel regardless of the military crest?

Lastly, do you see a big difference in cruising bucks on a hillside in open woods vs close to old cleacuts or thick areas? If they travel the entire ridge they would have to pass through it all, so I'm not sure if they do that or not.

pewpewpew

Re: Hill Country Rut

Unread postby pewpewpew » Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:43 am

I’m still learning hill country. My observations have been: The thicker, the better. The steeper the better. I don’t buy into “bucks take the path of least resistance”. They take the path that won’t get them killed. I’d find the military crest and then look downhill another 15 yards for the daylight buck travel.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Re: Hill Country Rut

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:22 am

Hunt high means not in the valley with squirley winds, but higher up on the ridge where air currents are more stable. As far as which side of the thermal tunnel u r on its situational and no one answer for all, sometimes u blow over them, sometimes just be on the downwind side and other times u r blowing straight in there general direction angling away.
Whether a buck will follow a ridge through open woods on a ridge side, is based on really only 2 things in my opinion, has the spot been free of human intrusion, and how bad does he want on the other side.
Things to consider:
Is there any reason a buck should travel this ridge?
Along this ridge where is the best spot to give me high odds of getting the shot.
When is the best time to hunt this ridge.
Exactly what wind do I need and where is my scent actually blowing.

Ridges are fun and a ongoing learning process. Have fun with em!
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”