What's the best excuse for a missed shot u have heard

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

JAK
500 Club

Re: What's the best excuse for a missed shot u have heard

Unread postby JAK » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:02 am

Bedbug wrote:One I hear far to often: I can't believe how much he ducked that shot!

Always followed by: Im perfect at 60 yards all day long...

:idea: yeah that's weird man

I know guys who prefer shooting 40-60 yards hahahaha one even told me he missed cause he's not comfortable shooting under 40 with the bow :lol:

Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:16 am

Cap only while muzzle loading, forgot the charge and bullet :oops:
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
jmaas07
500 Club

Unread postby jmaas07 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:59 am

This was about 10 years ago...I had a buck below my stand, drew back, put the pin on his spine, squeezed the release, heard a snap and I see the arrow buried in the ground about 5 feet to the right of the buck. What happened was my cam was touching my pants when I shot, my pants got sucked up inbetween the string and cam, the string popped off mid shot, snapped the arrow off at the fletching in the wisker biscuit and sent the other part of the arrow way off to the side of the buck. I didn’t know what happened at first but figured it out quickly when I notice my pants are still stuck to my bow somehow, fletching part of the arrow is dangling from the wisker biscuit..it was ridiculous
checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:04 pm

Swampbuck wrote:Lockdown that's the funniest one ever :lol: :lol:

The typical one I always hear is i hit a twig. It is pretty thick here so maybe so... But I know all my misses never hit twigs they are just straight up misses :lol:

Hey now lol. I’ve missed only 3 deer over the years (knock on wood). Each one have been because of a twig or limb. One was a mature 10. I jumped him at 40 yards and he jumped behind a pine, he was bedded down under, kinda between the limb and the back of the pine. With a gun, I shot. It was dead on until it hit a pine limb the size of my arm. No blood and he lived. Bullet mark was on the limb. Not sure how many more years he made it though. I saw him once after that.

Another was an 8. About to climb my stand near the road when he came running by. Gun against a tree and half my climber attached I eased the gun up. Same thing shot was perfect no blood no deer. Went back and saw where I caught a small twig. It threw the bullet off enough to miss. At least I think I missed since I never had blood. Never saw buzzards either. It’s possible he got hit with a fragment but lived too.

Last was with a crossbow in a swamp. That spike was Dead at 30 yards, I let loose. I hear the hit, I see him jump, run to my backside and stand there looking back. Ok he’s gonna drop. Nope he starts feeding. He has a spot of hair ruffled up where the shot placement would be. I reload step out to shoot and he runs off. I’m disgusted for wounding a deer. I look and find no blood or bolt. I’m sick as I don’t wanna wound an animal. Finally I find the bolt and one blade is bent and the back of the aluminum shaft near the fletchings is bent. The only thing I can figure out is I caught a twig or vine which bent the expandable blade and sent the arrow end over end which hit him perfectly bending the shaft. Which is why he jumped

My buddy missed three coyotes. At close range with a rifle. He never made excuses.
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:15 pm

Couldn’t feel kisser button, couldn’t see thru peep, chose the wrong sight pin, string hit arm, deer jumped the string, glasses were fogging up, buck fever, mid judged distance etc... I’ve heard all these
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:18 pm

A few weeks ago I just flat out missed. No excuses needed. :lol:
OH nontypical
500 Club

Unread postby OH nontypical » Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:37 pm

Had a kisser button snag on a head net and almost take my head off. Arrow went high and stuck in the tree above the buck.

Face mask cut my face and ripped the kisser clear off the string. :lol:
Dhurtubise
500 Club
Facebook: dhurtubise

Unread postby Dhurtubise » Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:10 pm

I’ve had quite a few good ones over the years.

My first buck ever saw, I grazed a foot diameter birch stump 5 feet in front of the deer with a 308 and somehow managed to miss him... at 40 yards. He had no idea I was there and I had already waited until he fed passed the stump. I could have waited another 10 seconds and then I wouldn’t have had to thread that shot through such a tight area.

This year I gave a buck i’m Pretty sure would have gone Boone and Crockett but I grazed a twig or simply shot high... at 35 yards with a 303. I found 1/4 inch dark hair where I shot him and no blood for the next mile- just gave him a haircut.

The worst one this year is the one I shot at 7 yards with my safety on. I was tracking him and I just didn’t think I’d be interested in shooting him because he had small feet, in spite of a very healthy stride and gait. To make matters worse I was expecting him to be bedded where I found him and I just lazy and never got prepared.

Last year I shot at a doe with my bow 3 times brtween 13 and 20 yards and missed each time. I don’t think I ever missed a shot on a doe before. It was -20 that morning and I’m blaming it on the cold and how my bow responded to it. But really I don’t think that makes much sense objectively. I still don’t know what happened. I went home and shot three bullseyes at 20 yards, same temperature...

Last one: a few years ago I saw a pine Martin and looked at it through my scope. It was a 3 to 9 scope so I dialed it all the way up and watched him for a bit. The next morning I get onto a doe at 30 yards with nothing between us. I pull up my rifle but in 30 seconds of trying I could never find her through my scope. I never set it back down from the 9x power..
Dan T

Unread postby Dan T » Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:21 pm

In my over 30 years of bow hunting, I’ve had plenty of missed, I can honestly say about 99.9% of them were operator error/poor judgment. One in particular that stands out is a miss on one of the largest bucks I’ve ever sent an arrow at. I didn’t think the buck was headed on a course that would provide me with a shot, when this happens I’m very calm. Well, the buck took a turn and stopped to work a scrape that I had previously ranged at 50yards. A shot I have practiced plenty but am never calm enough to be effective. This time however, I was stone cold calm, knew the exact range and it was not a forced stop or alerted deer. Well, I settled the pin on the bucks vitals ,let it fly apparently a nano second before he decide he was done working that scrape, and as That arrow covered the distance, I swear he just simply and inadvertently stepped clear out of the way and that that arrow stuck in the ground on its proper course just on the other side of the scrape. I decided that day I would never take a bowshit at that distance regardless of the Alertness of the deer of my calmness and ability. Too much distance for something to go wrong even on a good day, and that shot could just have easily been a wound.
Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:21 pm

Best I ever heard?

A gentleman had a big 8pt run a doe up to him while rifle hunting, the buck was within 25 yards give or take.. said he put the crosshairs on the deer and shot but the deer ran off seemingly unscathed. He claimed that his .270 up that close would discintigrate on impact because the bullet is traveling too fast and needs to be at least 50 yards away to "slow down enough"
Trust the Process~~ Lost Boys Outdoors ~~

YoutTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UC7TXknGut5WfZQ6CbddgqYg
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:49 pm

Twenty Up wrote:Best I ever heard?

A gentleman had a big 8pt run a doe up to him while rifle hunting, the buck was within 25 yards give or take.. said he put the crosshairs on the deer and shot but the deer ran off seemingly unscathed. He claimed that his .270 up that close would discintigrate on impact because the bullet is traveling too fast and needs to be at least 50 yards away to "slow down enough"

:lol:

I've had some bone head moments. I missed a shot once and the deer didn't run off so I reached around tree grabbed another arrow and made the most perfect shot with a blunt tip u can imagine. First buck I shot at with a recurve I rattled the arrow through his antlers, guess I was focused on the wrong spot.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:56 pm

Boogieman1 wrote:
Twenty Up wrote:Best I ever heard?

:lol:

I've had some bone head moments. I missed a shot once and the deer didn't run off so I reached around tree grabbed another arrow and made the most perfect shot with a blunt tip u can imagine. First buck I shot at with a recurve I rattled the arrow through his antlers, guess I was focused on the wrong spot.

Oh believe me I've missed my fair share of deer with a bow! Last season it was around 5... all clean misses :doh: clipped limbs, bolt for rest shelf was loose and shooting 8" left at 20 yards. Doe fever you name it it's probably happened as I attempted to shoot a deer.
Trust the Process~~ Lost Boys Outdoors ~~

YoutTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UC7TXknGut5WfZQ6CbddgqYg
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:48 am

over the years my uncle has shot probably 10 deer in the head he always says look right where I was aiming. everybody at camp nods their head and say good shot but we all know he was looking at the horns and screwed up again lol.
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:32 am

A single one doesn't stand out to me but I always chuckle at the ones "had a perfect shot and missed I'm never buying brand XYZ Bow (or arrows, or gun, or shells) again!"

Yep...its always the equipment's fault isn't it.

One ridiculous thing that did actually happen to me once - I shot a big buck in the antlers with my bow. The arrow went between the tines on the near side and stuck in the beam on the far side, he ran off with it in his antlers. I was 17 and maybe had a little buck fever :lol:

I don't blame anyone for not believing, but it did happen..
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:52 am

JoeRE wrote:A single one doesn't stand out to me but I always chuckle at the ones "had a perfect shot and missed I'm never buying brand XYZ Bow (or arrows, or gun, or shells) again!"

Yep...its always the equipment's fault isn't it.

One ridiculous thing that did actually happen to me once - I shot a big buck in the antlers with my bow. The arrow went between the tines on the near side and stuck in the beam on the far side, he ran off with it in his antlers. I was 17 and maybe had a little buck fever :lol:

I don't blame anyone for not believing, but it did happen..

I had that happen with a spike. Saw antlers and just lost control of myself. Missed by a good 2-3'. Fortunately for me, that 2-3' put the arrow right behind the ear. Half inch of penetration, buck died instantly and there wasn't a drop of blood when I went to gut him. Easy tracking job cause I could see the pink fletching from the base of my tree sticking straight up out of the buck.

Right where I was aiming :liar: :lol:
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”