Treestand platform placement - which direction?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

fulldraw1979

Treestand platform placement - which direction?

Unread postby fulldraw1979 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:29 pm

New hunter here. When hanging your stand, do you set up so that you’re facing in the direction you believe the deer will be coming from, or do you set up on the opposite side to use the tree to break up your outline? I recognize in the latter you may get caught off guard and not be ready for a shot. Just curious on everyone’s opinion. Thanks in advance.

“Nothing in this world is worth having or worth doing unless it means effort, pain, difficulty.”
- Theodore Roosevelt
Jdw
500 Club

Re: Treestand platform placement - which direction?

Unread postby Jdw » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:41 pm

I would rather have the deer in front of the stand than behind it. I am a Right handed shooter so if I can set up for the deer to come around the tree on my left side it is ideal.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:13 pm

In a perfect world I would like to set up with my stand at a 45 facing where I'm expecting the deer to come from and my shot lanes on my left.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Jeff G
500 Club

Unread postby Jeff G » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:38 pm

Face it right at the direction the deer come from. Stand or put back in line with tree trunk and disappear.
HighNtree

Unread postby HighNtree » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:44 pm

As a right handed shooter, I try to point the left front corner of the stand in the direction that I expect the deer to approach from. I never want to be facing 90 degrees from the deer's approach because it makes me much too easy for the deer see.
JAK
500 Club

Unread postby JAK » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:14 pm

Faceing where u think deer will come from and if wind allows it I'm gunna set up to shoot to my left
Bonehead

Unread postby Bonehead » Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:22 am

If tree will allow me, I set so the deer will come by around 10 o’clock position in the most likely avenue of approach.
Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Unread postby Rob loper » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:32 am

I am a new saddle hunter so in a saddle the tree goes between you and where the deer come from but when i use stand which i most likely will. Cause i have like a small cabelas out in back yard i always try if available put the stand just a little to right of where deer come in from. Im a right. A lefty would do the opposite
But cover is key. If no cover just face the deer direction and try to get a tree or something to break your outline up. Im a big boy 250. So i look like a pretty big blob up there lol.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:22 am

IMO...It's best to set-up facing directly towards the direction you expect the deer to come from. The least amount of movement. And when they approach, you can stand-up and the tree as your background masks your movement. If you set-up perpendicular, then you will be silhouetted off the side of the tree. If you set-up facing away from the deer, then you need to constantly move to check for them coming. And also they could quietly slip in behind you and bust you.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:35 am

Anything to avoid getting skylined. A plus is to have the trail to my right since I’m a southpaw with the bow. But if you see them far enough in advance, it’s easy to spin around quick
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:20 am

Like others said, I try to have the majority of my shots off the left side of my stand. Minimizes movement and weird positions etc when it's time to actually draw and shoot.

But, I like to focus on where I expect deer to come from too.

Each setup is different...but definitely something to take into consideration.
Josh_S
500 Club

Unread postby Josh_S » Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:56 am

If you are new to bow hunting I would recommend practicing shots from your stand. You have plenty of time before next fall. Get a cheap block target and move it around to practice your shot from different angles. Assuming you are right handed, you'll probably find the left sided shot feels most natural. Sometimes you can even get a clean shot from this angle WITHOUT standing, which is a huge advantage in terms of not getting busted.
fulldraw1979

Unread postby fulldraw1979 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:03 am

Josh_S wrote:If you are new to bow hunting I would recommend practicing shots from your stand. You have plenty of time before next fall. Get a cheap block target and move it around to practice your shot from different angles. Assuming you are right handed, you'll probably find the left sided shot feels most natural. Sometimes you can even get a clean shot from this angle WITHOUT standing, which is a huge advantage in terms of not getting busted.

This is something I will be doing this spring in addition to scouting. I’ve only shot off the ground these past two years and I need to shoot from an elevated spot. Thanks for the reminder.
“Nothing in this world is worth having or worth doing unless it means effort, pain, difficulty.”
- Theodore Roosevelt

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”