The killing plot...

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

john1984

Re: The killing plot...

Unread postby john1984 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:41 pm

Nice shirt Dan, lol, I gotta get me one of those.,
Your in a skimpy t-shirt with snow in the back ground and your not shivering at all. Lol

I'm in the same boat, shot at 2 bucks this past November and never recovered (harvested) them.

Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:24 pm

john1984 wrote:Nice shirt Dan, lol, I gotta get me one of those.,
Your in a skimpy t-shirt with snow in the back ground and your not shivering at all. Lol

Did I hear a fire crackling in the background? :think:
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:57 pm

Twenty Up wrote:
dan wrote:
Twenty Up wrote:Aha so the Big Buck Serial Killer does miss!

All jokes aside I had the same issue you mentioned in the video. I lost confidence in myself after missing/losing several deer and didn't know what to do. I even sold the bow I lost so much confidence in it. It's such a frustrating feeling I can't begin to describe it..

Glad to see you posted the video with some insight, it's definitely not all sunshine & rainbows in the deer woods. This is one of the big reasons why I opt to follow your hunts more so than the "professionals"... because your hunts are real. The good, the bad and the ugly we see it all & there's always a lesson learned.

Also shame on the land owners to deny permission to search for a mortally wounded deer. In GA we generally call Game Wardens to retrieve deer where permission is denied. Not sure about your state/regs but it's the one time in the wood where I'm happy to see Green Jeans! :lol:

In Wisconsin the game wardens can't retrieve the deer either.

10-4 guess they don't have near the power compare to GA's Wardens. Our wardens do not need probable cause to search a vehicle, house or property. Property lines do not exist for them here, for better or worse.

Our wardens don't need search warrants either. But they can't give you a deer that dies on someone elses property. Dave shot a buck about 25 years ago that died 5 feet onto there property, literally jumped a barbwire border fence and died, and they csame down and threatened him at gun point if he retrieved the deer. Nothing he could do...
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:59 pm

stash59 wrote:Thanx for sharing. Lotta good lessons.

On a side note when did you place the cam? No cam on 1st hunt. But there for 2nd & 3rd.

Hard to remember, but it must of been during the second hunt. I won't go in just to hang or check a cam. Thats as much disturbance as hunting it. I place the came as soon as I get there before climbing the tree. And it wasn't checked till the next hunt.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:01 am

BassBoysLLP wrote:I knew you had a little deer farmer in you!

The older and more wore out I get the more that looks appealing ;)
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:05 am

dan wrote:

I think I saw a preset stand in there too. ;)

Cool video regardless. It isn't all sunshine and rainbows no matter which path you take.
Chuck B
500 Club

Unread postby Chuck B » Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:11 am

This season I also one-lunged what would have been my biggest buck to date as well and I still am sick about it. 2018 can’t come soon enough! It does help to know that it also happened to the bbsk so it can happen to anyone!
If you aren't green and growing, you are ripe and rotting
Bonehead

Unread postby Bonehead » Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:19 am

Great educational video.
Dan, I noticed a lot of the deer that came out of the Bedding area and went by west ( Correct me if I’m wrong) of your stand location probably had to cross your entrance/access trail somewhere. Do you spray your rubber boots down with scent killer, or take any other special precautions when your set up like this?
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:46 am

BassBoysLLP wrote:
dan wrote:

I think I saw a preset stand in there too. ;)

Cool video regardless. It isn't all sunshine and rainbows no matter which path you take.

We use pre-sets a lot on private. The biggest kills still usually come from an aggressive move though. We don't over hunt the pre-sets, with the exceptions of spots designated as observation stands. Those get sat a bit more. That stand actually creaks a little and annoys me, but we had a L/W in that area and it was stolen by the neighbors, so we put cheaper stans out in spots like that. We actually hung 3 pre-sets there, for differing winds. The few times I hunted that corner in the past were always hang and hunt. I think I hunted there about 4 or 5 times in the past 25 years. Dave is really not capeable for health reasons to hang and hunt anymore either. So I have to get a lot of stands out there, or he will over hunt the locations. :lol: Im sure if he is around next year, he has his sights on my little corner. ;)
Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:56 am

Good video Dan. Its weird how your misses and ill shots are left like a open book through years. I learn more from misses an wounds than kills. I'm notorious for close shots with my hunting circle. Close shots like that I shoot for exit and shoot bottom of deer.

Once again good video.
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:09 am

Dewey wrote:
john1984 wrote:Nice shirt Dan, lol, I gotta get me one of those.,

Did I hear a fire crackling in the background? :think:

No fire, but it was windy so I was behind a barn to block the wind, but you can still hear wind noise a bit in the background.
Jer-Bear
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jerry.burke.925

Unread postby Jer-Bear » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:29 am

Thanks for posting Dan. I truly felt for you in the end. I think we all have been down that road at some point in the past and probably in the future. Your analysis of the situation and plan to improve is the lesson we all have to remember and "apply" moving forward.

Thanks Again.
Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Unread postby Rob loper » Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:27 am

Great video.
I love the lesson at the end we have all been there bro your right it does suck keep your head up like you said we all get cocky from time to time it happens to all of us and if one says it doesnt than that person is full of deer poopy. but I really dont think you did anything wrong.
And in my opinion you are the total opposite of cocky and its why we love you and your stuff dan The idiot neighbor who wouldnt give u permission was at fault you said the shot was good and it was a dead deer. We never know how far a wounded deer is going to go. They are all different ive seen deer which im sure you have too go double lung shot up to 3-400 yards. Heart shots go 200 yards. Ive seen it so not your fault at all. Great job and great video. Keep them comin bro aee u in two weeks
d_rek

Unread postby d_rek » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:27 am

Dan,

Do you think a food plot could be as effective on extremely small properties (say less than 10, or if we're getting specific, 4 acres)? I am considering brushhogging a couple 1/8th or 1/10th acre areas down at the back of my property for a couple of small food plots. I also have walking trails I could sow some no-till plots into.

I have been able to keep deer around through baiting but that has it's pitfalls, mostly in that it turns most deer nocturnal. I was thinking a couple of foodplots would be more effective as it would result in less human intrusions, unlike baiting which you have to go in every week or two to replenish your baitpile (no auto feeder for me).

Regards,
d_rek
"I don't know what the f*** this is but it's weird as f*** so i'm leaving."
-The Deep
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:43 am

d_rek wrote:Dan,

Do you think a food plot could be as effective on extremely small properties (say less than 10, or if we're getting specific, 4 acres)? I am considering brushhogging a couple 1/8th or 1/10th acre areas down at the back of my property for a couple of small food plots. I also have walking trails I could sow some no-till plots into.

I have been able to keep deer around through baiting but that has it's pitfalls, mostly in that it turns most deer nocturnal. I was thinking a couple of foodplots would be more effective as it would result in less human intrusions, unlike baiting which you have to go in every week or two to replenish your baitpile (no auto feeder for me).

Regards,
d_rek

I'm not Dan, but have hunted my share of those small lots. Seems the best ones were less focused on drawing in numbers of deer with food and more focused on thick nasty cover that never gets intruded on. Seems if u got unpressured cover they will find it. Safety is rare food is every where.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”