Airbow? Where does it stop?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Whitetailaddict
500 Club

Re: Airbow? Where does it stop?

Unread postby Whitetailaddict » Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:56 am

VilasCo wrote:I receive email updates from the office of Senator Tom Tiffany on a weekly basis. A recent email stated assembly bill 649 was to be addressed at the February 14th senate committee meeting. The first paragraph reads:

"Under this bill, a person may hunt an animal with a high-powered air rifle or
an airbow in a season open to hunting that animal with a firearm."

below is the website address:

http://docs.legis.wisconsin.gov/2017/re ... /ab649.pdf

I'm fine with them being used in firearms season and think that is the correct place for them. Heck it may be more fun/challenging to use them over a rifle, shotgun or muzzleloader and may result in less bloodshot meat. I think an airbow has much different capabilities than a crossbow. I'm not against crossbows during archery but something like this that fires an arrow with compressed air is imo best left for a firearm season but everyone has their opinion.

Tim H
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100090396597022

Unread postby Tim H » Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:24 am

VilasCo wrote:I receive email updates from the office of Senator Tom Tiffany on a weekly basis. A recent email stated assembly bill 649 was to be addressed at the February 14th senate committee meeting. The first paragraph reads:

I'd be interested to see where this will go and how Wisconsin would react to it. Probably a similar feel of when crossbows were introduced during archery season.
wolverinebuckman
500 Club

Unread postby wolverinebuckman » Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:58 am

There are hunters who can not posses a firearm for various reasons. If they called this an arrow gun, it would likely exclude some from purchasing it.

I wouldn't mind something a little more stealth and long range for late season when there is less cover and longer shots are needed. Wouldn't pay that kind of money though, just stick to my compound.
Bummer of a birthmark, Hal.
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:10 am

Whitetailaddict wrote:

I'm fine with them being used in firearms season and think that is the correct place for them. Heck it may be more fun/challenging to use them over a rifle, shotgun or muzzleloader and may result in less bloodshot meat. I think an airbow has much different capabilities than a crossbow. I'm not against crossbows during archery but something like this that fires an arrow with compressed air is imo best left for a firearm season but everyone has their opinion.

If I could get one cheap I wouldn’t mind one during gun season. Nobody hears you shoot, nobody knows you got one.

Again, gun season only
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
SidewayZ
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SidewayZ32

Unread postby SidewayZ » Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:00 pm

Whats the difference versus a crossbow, one uses kinetic energy with a string, one uses compressed air. Both are almost like a rifle, just no gun powder. I dont see the concern???
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
-SidewayZ-

I'm not scared to fail, I just fear regret!
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:04 pm

SidewayZ wrote:Whats the difference versus a crossbow, one uses kinetic energy with a string, one uses compressed air. Both are almost like a rifle, just no gun powder. I dont see the concern???

A compound, recurve and long bow are all kinetic energy with a string too? :think:
Bubbles

Unread postby Bubbles » Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:17 am

Next will be "arrow-slugs" for your 20 guage. That's still a bow, right? :D
SidewayZ
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SidewayZ32

Unread postby SidewayZ » Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:51 pm

Jonny wrote:
SidewayZ wrote:Whats the difference versus a crossbow, one uses kinetic energy with a string, one uses compressed air. Both are almost like a rifle, just no gun powder. I dont see the concern???

A compound, recurve and long bow are all kinetic energy with a string too? :think:

Are you against Crossbows?? Because if not, there isnt many differences aside compressed air vs a high poundage string. Both increase range and probably accuracy.

Personally I dont like crossbows, its a personal choice, I am fine with anyone suing it during archery, its just not for me, I am also not against airbows. I just dont see a difference between the other than method of power delivery. If you have some other insight let me know.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
-SidewayZ-

I'm not scared to fail, I just fear regret!
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:35 pm

SidewayZ wrote:
Jonny wrote:

Are you against Crossbows?? Because if not, there isnt many differences aside compressed air vs a high poundage string. Both increase range and probably accuracy.

Personally I dont like crossbows, its a personal choice, I am fine with anyone suing it during archery, its just not for me, I am also not against airbows. I just dont see a difference between the other than method of power delivery. If you have some other insight let me know.

I’m the exact same as you for crossbows. I’m not for air bows just because I think it’s too much too quick and we are still having problems with the crossbows. So right now I wouldn’t want to see airbows be legal for full archery, but down the road I would be open to it.

My biggest problem is that the airbow is really getting away from my view of archery (something that crossbows don’t do). Kinetic energy used as a means to create a weapon is thousands of years old. Compressed air isn’t.

If it’s legal, I don’t care what anybody uses. All up to them, and success is still found by those who are the better hunters, at least for mature deer.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”