best lesson learned from 2017

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

creepingdeth
500 Club
Facebook: Huh?

best lesson learned from 2017

Unread postby creepingdeth » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:18 am

You can surely tell most of us are done w/ our seasons by latest posts. This is one of those... :lol: Just wondering what was your biggest "ahhah" from this past season. Anything to do w/ hunting deer....behavior, equipment, areas, terrain etc...
Mine was not necessarily w/ deer, it was areas. The season started out w/ a bang, numerous smallish bucks under the stand and no busts. Huge for me, I'm a kindergartner at Beast tactics :lol: . Then the season got real tough. By the time the season was winding up for me, I was not even seeing much for even does or youngsters. I kept getting out, but figured a few things out while twiddling my frozen thumbs.
#1. The areas I hunt are public, mostly smaller(3-400 acres), and see bow, A, B, and muzzy. Fairly pounded. Deer numbers are nice w/ a few mature bucks around, very blessed. Those deer are still around, its my job to find them.
#2. I need to find those out of the way places and holes nobody in their right mind would try to enter. I have some water nearby I know hold big bucks. Wasn't ready this year, I will be for next.
#3. All areas are within 30 mins. of me...need to travel to some bigger ones.
#4. Have only scouted these areas 1 yr. It will take maybe 2-4 to really understand them. Daunting, but a piece of the puzzle.
I could go on and on... :lol: , but really, I learned more about the when, where, and whys of some of the places I hunt. What was your biggest or most important find from last year?? :think:

Yesterdays common sense is no longer common
Edcyclopedia

Re: best lesson learned from 2017

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:21 am

I suck @ hunting mature bucks...
But look good doing it!
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:55 am

1. Be more comfortable with my gear and confident in my ability
2. Failure is okay. Wasting time second guessing isn't. Make a decision, go with it and learn from it.
3. Don't let stupid stuff get to you. Hunting is fun and a way to get my mind off life
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
Jeff G
500 Club

Unread postby Jeff G » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:12 am

I was reminded by a slob buck to always have your weapon in your hands when on stand.
KLEMZ

Unread postby KLEMZ » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:28 am

The most important thing I learned is that when you find an active area....WORK IT! I don't mean keep sitting the same tree three days in a row, but keep bouncing around in the active area based on sightings, sign, and wind directions. This year on my big woods rut bowhunt, I found a doe bedding area that was very active. Day one I saw 6 does/fawns and one young buck chasing. Day two I moved 60 yards in order to cover where all the deer movement was seen and saw a couple does out of range moving towards the bedding area but no bucks seen. Day three I moved in tighter to bedding (about an eighty yard move) and shot one of my biggest north woods bucks to date. In the past I would have moved on to greener pastures after the second hunt, thinking I had burned the bridge, but this year I wanted to try sticking it out in an active area...and I am glad I did! Thanks to magicman for that idea! I don't know if this is a solid strategy in all terrains, but in low population big woods I believe it is.
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:35 am

KLEMZ wrote:The most important thing I learned is that when you find an active area....WORK IT! I don't mean keep sitting the same tree three days in a row, but keep bouncing around in the active area based on sightings, sign, and wind directions. This year on my big woods rut bowhunt, I found a doe bedding area that was very active. Day one I saw 6 does/fawns and one young buck chasing. Day two I moved 60 yards in order to cover where all the deer movement was seen and saw a couple does out of range moving towards the bedding area but no bucks seen. Day three I moved in tighter to bedding (about an eighty yard move) and shot one of my biggest north woods bucks to date. In the past I would have moved on to greener pastures after the second hunt, thinking I had burned the bridge, but this year I wanted to try sticking it out in an active area...and I am glad I did! Thanks to magicman for that idea! I don't know if this is a solid strategy in all terrains, but in low population big woods I believe it is.

Thats the same approach I use. In urban, never saw a deer from stand till I killed a target buck. 2.5 weeks of Sept hunting I saw 1 small buck from stand. Cameras told me bucks were around...just zig zagging.
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:51 am

My lesson? Don't hunt Nebraska with a bow during the firearm season.
Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:53 am

Scout more!

Got hung up on mature buck sign near doe bedding, turns out my buddy got the slob on camera during daylight 1/4 mile away. Found his rut beds but no dice...

Scout more, search for better access and seek permission for some more closer private land
Trust the Process~~ Lost Boys Outdoors ~~

YoutTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UC7TXknGut5WfZQ6CbddgqYg
Bedbug

Unread postby Bedbug » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:05 pm

Strategy wise My number 1 lesson
~entrance and exits~....always been a top priority for me but every year I seem to find more flaws in it. Usually sent impact this year the ahah was the first step, parking.
Mid October I watched THE buck flee from the very area I thought predicted hed be bed that wind. Simply because I slowed down on the gravel road and stopped where I normally park....
A real who's hunting who moment :think: was eye opening.

Coming in very close 2nd
The realization that I need to bring the wife with more and wondering why I hadn't in years past.
She tagged along 4 times total this season. Just to see what it was about. Let me tell you guys it was an absolute blast!!!! Normally a quiet, lone hunter I was personally surprised at how much I actually had to teach someone thats green too it. On top of that the memories. There was moments we were laughing until we were crying!
The 4 times she came with were by far the my most memorable and enjoyable hunts of my 17' season.
Until the kids are old enough I'll be capitalizing on it.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:05 pm

Big lesson learned by me in 2017 was don’t get too overconfident in your shooting abilities. I haven’t wounded a deer in 15 years. During that time if I released an arrow something died quickly. This year I wounded one buck and completely missed another. No matter how long you hunt or how well you shoot a season like mine will eventually happen. All I can do is learn from it and do whatever it takes to prevent it from happening again in the future.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:13 pm

Don't count your chickens before they're hatched.

Because my health had improved to a good enough point I got to hunt quite abit in 2016. I thought I'd continue to improve health wise. Some things did improve but others didn't and new stuff popped up. Leading to a season no better in 2017 than 2016.

So I need to think in my head to plan for the best, but not be surprised by things being the worst.
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:16 pm

mainebowhunter wrote:My lesson? Don't hunt Nebraska with a bow during the firearm season.

:lol: :violin:
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:17 pm

Edcyclopedia wrote:I suck @ hunting mature bucks...
But look good doing it!

There ya go :handgestures-thumbupright:
JAK
500 Club

Unread postby JAK » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:37 pm

Hunt where sign tells u to no matter what. Cyber scout a point night before hunt get in and all the sign tells me I have to sit this tree but since it was small (but big enough) I decided to hunt a bigger tree 30 yards away and had a big 10 walk right past that tree at 10 or so yards and I ended up missing him at 40. Sign never lies. If it means being uncomfertable in a smaller tree but it's where I've got to be you can bet I won't make that mistake again
blackwidow
500 Club

Unread postby blackwidow » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:34 pm

My biggest lesson was to go in and hunt. Stop being too worried about busting something out. It was obvious since I don't have much pressure where I hunt that the deer weren't leaving due to the pressure that I put on them. Mature bucks were daylight active and visible and I didn't move in when I should've to kill the buck I was after. Of course, I still have 2 days to hunt, so maybe I will heed my own advice here and just go for it. Sometimes I try being too careful and I don't hunt like I should. You can't always kill the buck that you're after by playing it safe.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”