Does anyone hunt public bridge easements?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

grydsrt

Unread postby grydsrt » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:46 am

http://mikehanback.typepad.com/mikehanbackcom/2008/06/one-of-the-best.html

Because it seems a bridge easement gives uniquely public access in otherwise private not to mention creating an unavoidable funnel? See:

“A bridge access or box culvert beneath a busy interstate or a lonely rural road is a great deer funnel. Whitetails are like us; they take the easiest, safest path from A to B whenever they can. Why jump a fence, clatter across 2 or 4 lanes of blacktop and dodge cars when you could stroll casually and hidden in a ditch or creek beneath a highway?”

After my local LEO suggested doing so, I googled “hunting deer under bridge” and found the above article. This tactic had never occurred to me however the longer it goes, the more solid it seems?

Anyone have experience hunting public bridge easements?

Jonny
500 Club

Re: Does anyone hunt public bridge easements?

Unread postby Jonny » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:53 am

I would be very hesitant based on the legal issues. Chances are the banks are private land, so you are stuck either standing in the water or hoping for a tree to be in the river bed. Then you have the issue of what happens if the buck goes up on the bank? I know in wisconsin you have to ask for permission to track on private and you can be denied. Waterways are public but I have had farmers watch me to make sure I don't step foot on their land.
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
grydsrt

Unread postby grydsrt » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:13 am

Jonny wrote:I would be very hesitant based on the legal issues. Chances are the banks are private land, so you are stuck either standing in the water or hoping for a tree to be in the river bed. Then you have the issue of what happens if the buck goes up on the bank? I know in wisconsin you have to ask for permission to track on private and you can be denied. Waterways are public but I have had farmers watch me to make sure I don't step foot on their land.

What about waiting for gun season and shooting them in the scapula under the bridge? That shot if accomplished correctly anchors the deer to the spot.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:36 am

I have hunted them but I also had permission on the private. The law here allows easement of afew feet on the bank along the creek, but hunting regs say u have to be so far from road. Only possible option is shoot from a boat, pray he dies on the easement and doesn't run on private. Not very good odds. But duck hunters make blinds on the easement here every season with no issues. Would deff look into and find out exactly and not just wing it and hope for the best
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:40 am

grydsrt wrote:
Jonny wrote:I would be very hesitant based on the legal issues. Chances are the banks are private land, so you are stuck either standing in the water or hoping for a tree to be in the river bed. Then you have the issue of what happens if the buck goes up on the bank? I know in wisconsin you have to ask for permission to track on private and you can be denied. Waterways are public but I have had farmers watch me to make sure I don't step foot on their land.

What about waiting for gun season and shooting them in the scapula under the bridge? That shot if accomplished correctly anchors the deer to the spot.

I'm pretty sure shooting under the bridge would be illegal due to the proximity to the roadway. And you also have the odd chance of missing by a couple inches and not dropping the deer. Only one deer I have shot with the gun fell on the spot. The rest had blown up shoulders/hearts/lungs and still got out of sight.
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
grydsrt

Unread postby grydsrt » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:45 am

Boogieman1 wrote:I have hunted them but I also had permission on the private. The law here allows easement of afew feet on the bank along the creek, but hunting regs say u have to be so far from road. Only possible option is shoot from a boat, pray he dies on the easement and doesn't run on private. Not very good odds. But duck hunters make blinds on the easement here every season with no issues. Would deff look into and find out exactly and not just wing it and hope for the best

I am not positive the LEO I spoke with said, “to hunt from the county bridge” but I almost think he did?

Hunting from the road seems ridiculous, however the particular bridge he and I discussed has a number of “H” shaped deer-blind-sized cross section supports. I wonder how feasible (or legal) bringing a collapsible ladder and hunting from atop the cross sections would be? Because that would put a stand site every 29 yds across 200 yds of river bottom.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:52 am

I see u r from tx, so I feel your pain on trying to find a spot to hunt. That just seems kinda suspect to me, I would personally find some other options. Golf courses are good and they normally are happy for someone to hunt them to keep em off the fairways and greens. Also call the city parks dept asks about possible hunting, some do some don't but u normally have them suckers to yourself
-John Wayne-
grydsrt

Unread postby grydsrt » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:56 am

Boogieman1 wrote:I see u r from tx, so I feel your pain on trying to find a spot to hunt. That just seems kinda suspect to me, I would personally find some other options. Golf courses are good and they normally are happy for someone to hunt them to keep em off the fairways and greens. Also call the city parks dept asks about possible hunting, some do some don't but u normally have them suckers to yourself

Boogieman1, thank you entirely. I had not thought of either asking the golf course or the city parks dept. If either works i will be eternally grateful.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:23 am

grydsrt wrote:
Boogieman1 wrote:I see u r from tx, so I feel your pain on trying to find a spot to hunt. That just seems kinda suspect to me, I would personally find some other options. Golf courses are good and they normally are happy for someone to hunt them to keep em off the fairways and greens. Also call the city parks dept asks about possible hunting, some do some don't but u normally have them suckers to yourself

Boogieman1, thank you entirely. I had not thought of either asking the golf course or the city parks dept. If either works i will be eternally grateful.

Not a problem! Everyone should have somewhere to go to enjoy there God Given Right to hunt!
-John Wayne-

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”