Milkweed?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

EdC

Milkweed?

Unread postby EdC » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:13 pm

This is a little bit off topic but milkweed is important to hunting the Beast style

I have a milkweed question to those that can't find milkweed in their areas of hunting

Do you have Monarch Butterflies?

This butterfly needs milkweed for their larvae or caterpillar to grow

Where I live in New England we have it all over the place. I've cautioned my 3 boys not to destroy the plants when they go in and out of the woods near the house, since this is food for the Monarch caterpillar.

I've even collected the Chrysalis and had them watch the caterpillar transform into a butterfly to show them how critical this plant is in their life cycle to survive.

Getting back to where milkweed grows, I always thought this plant grew everywhere so out of curiosity I took a look around and found these 2 sites.

http://monarchwatch.org/bring-back-the- ... eed-needs/
http://blog.nwf.org/2015/02/twelve-nati ... -monarchs/

It could be you should be looking for round balls instead of the horn shape we typically see

It's possible the type of milkweed in your area looks a little different where you live, I even found it grows in Arizona so it's possible your not recognizing it because for your area it looks different.

Ed

Everyone Gets Close - Few Finish The Job
<DK>
500 Club

Re: Milkweed?

Unread postby <DK> » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:28 am

I told you all we were killing the butterflies. Burkhart talking to you!!! :mrgreen:

Good post Edc, Whenever I first started out I had to research also bc it seemed little different than other guys were using. Even the CA dept showed different plants.
Noreast10pt
500 Club

Unread postby Noreast10pt » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:46 am

Darkknight54 wrote:I told you all we were killing the butterflies. Burkhart talking to you!!! :mrgreen:

Good post Edc, Whenever I first started out I had to research also bc it seemed little different than other guys were using. Even the CA dept showed different plants.

We're not killing them, they eat the leaves so we're helping by spreading seeds around for plants to grow in more areas.
Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Unread postby Rob loper » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:49 am

Being new to milkweek i used it the other night for first time thanks to a very generous member on the beast
When its used do i drop with the seed or without the seed? Attached?
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:14 am

Noreast10pt wrote:
Darkknight54 wrote:I told you all we were killing the butterflies. Burkhart talking to you!!! :mrgreen:

We're not killing them, they eat the leaves so we're helping by spreading seeds around for plants to grow in more areas.

:lol: Thanks I know, just like giving these guys a hard time. My CA dept asked people to help w preservation by not cutting certain years the winters are hard on them. Weather is just one of the factors why they are declining but they need the plants to survive. Good point on spreading seeds however, I dont find much milkweed in the actual woods. Now when a pod explodes in the car and is pooring out of the windows... that may be considered conservation :D Very interesting subject
Ack

Unread postby Ack » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:37 pm

Lopedog699 wrote:Being new to milkweek i used it the other night for first time thanks to a very generous member on the beast

No seed....floats better that way.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:05 pm

Ack wrote:
Lopedog699 wrote:Being new to milkweek i used it the other night for first time thanks to a very generous member on the beast

No seed....floats better that way.

Yup. Separate the seeds then spread them around so more will grow.
Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Unread postby Rob loper » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:05 am

Ok thnks dewey

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”