Just remember when your scouting in snow

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
Ragingun

Re: Just remember when your scouting in snow

Unread postby Ragingun » Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:38 am

Noreast10pt wrote:This is why I try to do camera pulls or scouting just before a snowstorm.

Yup, even if that means I walk the woods at night right before or during a good amount of snowfall.

Dogs have many friends because they wag their tails, not their tongues.
SmallJawNH

Unread postby SmallJawNH » Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:52 am

ghoasthunter wrote:
SmallJawNH wrote:Does anyone bring climbing sticks to put the camera up a tree out of reach? I thought about doing this to deter theft on public land. Figured they might not see it and if they do they can't reach it without coming back.

I do it with all my cameras put it on tree with no limbs 12 to 15 feet in the air. its saved me hundreds of dollars I'm sure also helps with bears and I don't get big bucks looking at my camera and never coming back. I think they see lights in air all the time with airplanes and never think twice. also make sure its a thick tree or real short one the wind will set the camera off all day otherwise.

That's an excellent point. I've had photos that seemed to be triggered by leaves absorbing the sun and blowing around.
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:02 am

Ragingun wrote:
Noreast10pt wrote:This is why I try to do camera pulls or scouting just before a snowstorm.

Yup, even if that means I walk the woods at night right before or during a good amount of snowfall.

and periods of time before snow or rain has a lot of deer bedded down bonus!
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
Idabow

Unread postby Idabow » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:16 pm

Haven’t checked my cams in two weeks because of snow. Had to start hanging them about 15’ up because of theft. I hunt a small farm. Some local gun hunters had permission for the week. Stole the card out of one cam. They missed the other two. Landowner was mad. Had the cams at eye level. Not anymore. Will check them this weekend after the snow melts.
Idabow

Unread postby Idabow » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:17 pm

Haven’t checked my cams in two weeks because of snow. Had to start hanging them about 15’ up because of theft. I hunt a small farm. Some local gun hunters had permission for the week. Stole the card out of one cam. They missed the other two. Landowner was mad. Had the cams at eye level. Not anymore. Will check them this weekend after the snow melts.
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:43 pm

SmallJawNH wrote:
ghoasthunter wrote:
SmallJawNH wrote:Does anyone bring climbing sticks to put the camera up a tree out of reach? I thought about doing this to deter theft on public land. Figured they might not see it and if they do they can't reach it without coming back.

I do it with all my cameras put it on tree with no limbs 12 to 15 feet in the air. its saved me hundreds of dollars I'm sure also helps with bears and I don't get big bucks looking at my camera and never coming back. I think they see lights in air all the time with airplanes and never think twice. also make sure its a thick tree or real short one the wind will set the camera off all day otherwise.

That's an excellent point. I've had photos that seemed to be triggered by leaves absorbing the sun and blowing around.

Yep. I do as well. 2 screw in steps in my back pack is all I need. I only do this in areas where I have had people take my cards, turn my cams around...steal stuff.
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:48 pm

mainebowhunter wrote:
SmallJawNH wrote:
ghoasthunter wrote:

Yep. I do as well. 2 screw in steps in my back pack is all I need. I only do this in areas where I have had people take my cards, turn my cams around...steal stuff.
I really think it makes a difference with spooky camera shy bucks too.
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:25 am

ghoasthunter wrote:
mainebowhunter wrote:
SmallJawNH wrote:
ghoasthunter wrote:

It does. I don't have a lot of trouble with camera shy deer. I would much rather put on the ground at chest level. 8' does the trick but you do miss deer unless they are directly in front of the cam.
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:59 am

mainebowhunter wrote:
ghoasthunter wrote:
mainebowhunter wrote:
SmallJawNH wrote:
ghoasthunter wrote:

It does. I don't have a lot of trouble with camera shy deer. I would much rather put on the ground at chest level. 8' does the trick but you do miss deer unless they are directly in front of the cam.
yea its a small adjusting period I put cameras on scrapes year round and shot them straight down trails. or this year on primary exit routs for bedding areas to see how bucks are using beds I only check them when I go in to hunt. I think to many people burn a spot with a camera. I find bullet proof approaches to my cameras as much as possible. probably why I hang a lot on brooks and stream crossings. you can hide your scent walking the water.
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:22 am

ghoasthunter wrote:
mainebowhunter wrote:
ghoasthunter wrote:
mainebowhunter wrote:
SmallJawNH wrote:
ghoasthunter wrote:

yea its a small adjusting period I put cameras on scrapes year round and shot them straight down trails. or this year on primary exit routs for bedding areas to see how bucks are using beds I only check them when I go in to hunt. I think to many people burn a spot with a camera. I find bullet proof approaches to my cameras as much as possible. probably why I hang a lot on brooks and stream crossings. you can hide your scent walking the water.

I think guys can burn spots with cameras. But I also think sometimes they are not in the right spots to begin with. I had cams out from August to Dec -- some of the data differed from the year before...but it had more to do with food changes than anything else.

I err on the side of caution and limit most of my checks unless its in a well used area. Some spots never got hunted in 2017.

Like this buck here. I killed him 70yds from this spot. Year previous, as a 3.5 (i believe), not one daylight of him here. 1yr older, he showed up here more than once during daylight at this cam.

I walk past this camera every time I hunt. In fact, I walked past this spot THE SAME night. I check it 3-4days a week. in 2016 I assumed bucks would never show daylight in the open because of the human activity. Except in 2017 he did multiple times.
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:51 am

mainebowhunter wrote:
ghoasthunter wrote:
mainebowhunter wrote:
ghoasthunter wrote:
mainebowhunter wrote:
SmallJawNH wrote:
ghoasthunter wrote:

I think guys can burn spots with cameras. But I also think sometimes they are not in the right spots to begin with. I had cams out from August to Dec -- some of the data differed from the year before...but it had more to do with food changes than anything else.

I err on the side of caution and limit most of my checks unless its in a well used area. Some spots never got hunted in 2017.

Like this buck here. I killed him 70yds from this spot. Year previous, as a 3.5 (i believe), not one daylight of him here. 1yr older, he showed up here more than once during daylight at this cam.

I walk past this camera every time I hunt. In fact, I walked past this spot THE SAME night. I check it 3-4days a week. in 2016 I assumed bucks would never show daylight in the open because of the human activity. Except in 2017 he did multiple times.
the woods are constantly evolving and to be successful you have too evolve with it
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:53 am

ghoasthunter wrote:
mainebowhunter wrote:
ghoasthunter wrote:
mainebowhunter wrote:
ghoasthunter wrote:
mainebowhunter wrote:
SmallJawNH wrote:
ghoasthunter wrote:

the woods are constantly evolving and to be successful you have too evolve with it

buy the way that's a real nice buck
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:01 am

ghoasthunter wrote:
ghoasthunter wrote:
mainebowhunter wrote:
ghoasthunter wrote:
mainebowhunter wrote:
ghoasthunter wrote:
mainebowhunter wrote:
SmallJawNH wrote:
ghoasthunter wrote:

All that being said. there is another 6 or 7yr old buck that only shows daylight in this area NOW. He was around all season but NEVER shows early in season during daylight at this same spot. Night. Yep. Never day.

It is an evolution for sure. Just when you think you have something worked out, it gets switched up.
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:07 am

mainebowhunter wrote:
ghoasthunter wrote:
ghoasthunter wrote:
mainebowhunter wrote:
ghoasthunter wrote:
mainebowhunter wrote:
ghoasthunter wrote:
mainebowhunter wrote:
SmallJawNH wrote:
ghoasthunter wrote:

All that being said. there is another 6 or 7yr old buck that only shows daylight in this area NOW. He was around all season but NEVER shows early in season during daylight at this same spot. Night. Yep. Never day.

It is an evolution for sure. Just when you think you have something worked out, it gets switched up.
not using it yet you never know I have tones of beds that only get active when certain trees produce acorns or beech nuts
SmallJawNH

Unread postby SmallJawNH » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:57 am

ghoasthunter wrote:
mainebowhunter wrote:
ghoasthunter wrote:
ghoasthunter wrote:
mainebowhunter wrote:
ghoasthunter wrote:
mainebowhunter wrote:
ghoasthunter wrote:
mainebowhunter wrote:
SmallJawNH wrote:
ghoasthunter wrote:

not using it yet you never know I have tones of beds that only get active when certain trees produce acorns or beech nuts

Maine, I know you've posted in the past about trial camera placement. Do either of you mind giving a brief refresher on how/where you employ trail cameras?

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”