Big Buck Track identification

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Tree Jockey
Facebook: Curt Simpkins

Big Buck Track identification

Unread postby Tree Jockey » Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:48 am

Hello, I am new to the Hunting Beast but I have enjoyed reading and listening to all of the good info. Since Winter /spring scouting has started or is about to start ,I would like to see photos of what everyone considers a Big Buck Track. Thought it would be very useful to have a pic
with some kind of reference beside it. ( dollar bill, hand ect..) Hopefully alot of pics are posted . I hunt central Indiana so I'm curious if what I consider a big buck track is consistant with what others consider a big buck track here in the Midwest.

Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Re: Big Buck Track identification

Unread postby Rob loper » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:28 am

I also would like to see if possible comparisons between buck and doe tracks and whats mature and wats not
I think i remember hearing that does back hoofs land outside of the front ones cause of the pelvic area or somthing like that.
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:51 am

Tree Jockey wrote:Hello, I am new to the Hunting Beast but I have enjoyed reading and listening to all of the good info. Since Winter /spring scouting has started or is about to start ,I would like to see photos of what everyone considers a Big Buck Track. Thought it would be very useful to have a pic
with some kind of reference beside it. ( dollar bill, hand ect..) Hopefully alot of pics are posted . I hunt central Indiana so I'm curious if what I consider a big buck track is consistant with what others consider a big buck track here in the Midwest.

buck tracks vary from place to place and not all big bucks have big feet. I have shot 3 year olds that weigh 200 pounds and five year olds that wont go 140 pounds. I would focus on finding tall rubs and bullet proof bedding following tracks if a deer side steps around trees for no apparent reason you can get a feel for rack size. if snow is deep and he is feeding you can find impressions from his rack in snow. if he goes under a blowdown tree and brushes his chin in snow you can get an idea or if every deer on a trail passes under and he jumps over. I have even seen clean impressions in a bed where he dosed off and dipped his head in snow. look for sheds and if you find a good one ask yourself why you found it their. after a while you will see patterns develop on how mature bucks travel threw a given peace of woods and a lot of times that will relay over to other areas. when I go out scouting I dissect and pic threw every clue and try to imagine how it went down when it was made. the more you do it the more it will click you should learn something new every trip out.
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:55 am

ghoasthunter wrote:
Tree Jockey wrote:Hello, I am new to the Hunting Beast but I have enjoyed reading and listening to all of the good info. Since Winter /spring scouting has started or is about to start ,I would like to see photos of what everyone considers a Big Buck Track. Thought it would be very useful to have a pic

buck tracks vary from place to place and not all big bucks have big feet. I have shot 3 year olds that weigh 200 pounds and five year olds that wont go 140 pounds. I would focus on finding tall rubs and bullet proof bedding following tracks if a deer side steps around trees for no apparent reason you can get a feel for rack size. if snow is deep and he is feeding you can find impressions from his rack in snow. if he goes under a blowdown tree and brushes his chin in snow you can get an idea or if every deer on a trail passes under and he jumps over. I have even seen clean impressions in a bed where he dosed off and dipped his head in snow. look for sheds and if you find a good one ask yourself why you found it their. after a while you will see patterns develop on how mature bucks travel threw a given peace of woods and a lot of times that will relay over to other areas. when I go out scouting I dissect and pic threw every clue and try to imagine how it went down when it was made. the more you do it the more it will click you should learn something new every trip out.

o and bucks will move threw woods as if they had a rack even if they don't its just burned in on how they move from velvet stages
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:23 am

Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:36 am

if you do want to have an idea on age of deer from a deer track alone think of it this way. as a deer gets older their feet put on a lot of miles so they will tend to get more flat footed their toes will spread and get more duck footed this is for bucks and does. some people say more worn out but its not consistent all the time if a deer lives in a swamp its feet wear slower than if they lived in rocky terrain.
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:41 am

Dan is spot on

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”