Bumping deer on the way to the stand

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Killsmeals

Bumping deer on the way to the stand

Unread postby Killsmeals » Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:22 am

If you bump deer close to where you plan to hunt, knowing the buck is bedded just beyond where they were will you still hunt?. I got in a lil late last night and two does were browsing under my tree it was a long ways from the truck so I went ahead and pushed out the does and setup....... I also did not see any deer. :lol:

mspaci

Re: Bumping deer on the way to the stand

Unread postby mspaci » Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:51 am

I will, if im close. If I have a plan B not too far Ill do that also, just depends. I had a tressspasser come thru 2 hrs before I shot my buck. Thought of getting down but hey I was already there. Mike
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:29 am

When a does starts blowing and carrying on. The buck knows something is not right.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Killsmeals

Unread postby Killsmeals » Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:18 am

Stanley wrote:When a does starts blowing and carrying on. The buck knows something is not right.

This is one of the reasons I thought I might be okay because I had the wind to my face and they just trotted off. Not making a scene at all. But this too place 100 yards from buck bedding.
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:29 pm

It's a part of the game, sounds like you are on the right track in the right area.
Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.
Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Unread postby Rob loper » Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:36 pm

Yup just part of the puzzle we try to put together
Next time hope they arent there and the buck comes out
Also the wind was in your face but what was the thermals doing too? It changes as dark comes as you already know im sure. Milkweed or cattails would tell ya this
Try it next time you hunt it
Killsmeals

Unread postby Killsmeals » Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:28 pm

Lopedog699 wrote:Yup just part of the puzzle we try to put together
Next time hope they arent there and the buck comes out
Also the wind was in your face but what was the thermals doing too? It changes as dark comes as you already know im sure. Milkweed or cattails would tell ya this
Try it next time you hunt it

I was below a leeward ridge/point 100 yards down wind in the evening with falling tempetures. Food was 50 yards behind me.
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:40 pm

This does happen and i'm not sure that's a bad thing.
Observing and being where deer are, is a win in my book. The times when the deer slip away quietly are best to continue the original hunt plan.

I have drawn on 1 mature buck this season and it happened where a doe bumped out earlier that evening. She left and my choices were to set right there. Or travel 30 yards to pre chosen tree. The circumstances had me trying right there as an aggressive move. It was a confidence builder to have the awareness and equipment to grab the closest tree.

With my pre chosen tree 30 yards away I am mentally tracking where he might have ended up. Chances are he would have passed by in range with my wind barely off. Instead I watched him work a scrape then approach to 8 yards before scenting me.
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:58 pm

Depends on how risky I'm feeling and how deep into the season it is. If it's early in the year, I would relocate and live to fight another day. If it's getting close to crunch time I would deploy something more risky and go all or nothing. Had a chance of success a time or 2 when there was enough acerage to work with just making a big loop after getting busted and ending up right back where I started and setting up. Sometimes u push them right back where they started.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:19 pm

If it's a soft bump, then I wouldn't worry about it at all.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
flinginairos
500 Club

Unread postby flinginairos » Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:04 am

If they simply run off without causing too much fuss I don't worry about it at all. The last two bucks Iv'e killed from their beds I ran does out on entry. The bucks came out just before dark without a care in the world.
Killsmeals

Unread postby Killsmeals » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:30 am

Thank you all very much for sharing your experience.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”