Interesting observation and question...

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Jdaukontas

Interesting observation and question...

Unread postby Jdaukontas » Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:53 am

Today the wind is blowing quite hard against my house from the west and I noticed the smoke coming off my chimney was instantly dropping off the downwind side of my home and curling back towards my house. I am assum8ng the wind is moving so hard over my house that its making an eddy on the backside of thw house which is pulling the smoke down and in towards the house.

With that, I got thinking about past setups that seemed to fail once I got one tree. Although we had strong directional winds that day, once I got down wind of a thick transition area, my wind went the exact opposite direction, not constantly, but enough to ruin the hunt. I am wondering if I was set up too close to the transition and the wind was actually creating an eddy when it rolled over the thick vegetation into the more open vegetation? Is there such a thing as too close to a hard transition?

SamPotter
500 Club

Re: Interesting observation and question...

Unread postby SamPotter » Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:41 am

I think your assumption is correct. Any time air current flows over an object, there is likely to be an eddy on the downwind side, whether it is a ridge or really thick cover. I can't say I've experienced issues with thick cover, but my two suggestions would be to try to get higher if possible and/or back off that edge a little farther until the air current straightens out. You could also try setting up on a corner of the thick cover where some of the wind current should be less affected.
The whole time I'm typing this I'm thinking about a boulder in a river and how water reacts. Air will do pretty much the same thing in regards to obstacles.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:12 am

I think it depends on how big the difference the transition change is. If you're on the downwind side of an island in a see of cattails, there will be an eddy. But if the foliage transition isn't a big height difference, then the wind should blow right across it. That's why I like to hunt it areas on more of a diagonal or cross wind. Maybe set-up left or right of the trails so you don't get the direct downwind effect.

An example would be like setting up on the corner of your house, instead of right behind it.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:28 am

That is a big yes, every spot is different and you have to see what the wind is doing in that location. Those bucks love those swirling winds because they can often smell what is up ahead of them or sniff out a bigger area by staging in one spot for a little while. Many spots I hunt I have to push past these areas often getting hit in the back of the neck with the wind blowing right toward the deer, however sometimes if you keep pushing forward you get past this swirl and get to a more consistent wind to hunt. Other times terrain or transitions with swamp/larger trees will curl or curve the wind right into the bedding areas, this way the deer can sometimes smell an even larger area, valley or big section of high ground from their beds. Like I mentioned every single place is a little different, even different wind speeds can change the way, shape or size of these wind swirls. There is a whole lot more going on out there than most hunter realize, makes it all the more interesting and challenging. I try and recognize these areas because when you find a good looking bedding areas anyway, then add a wind swirl or thermal mixing zone you will find some primary beds.
Mathewshooter

Unread postby Mathewshooter » Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:37 am

I have fires in my back yard a lot. When the wind blows from the back corner of the woods into my yard it creates a swirling effect that you can see with the smoke. Like others have stated, I think any time theres a change in cover theres a chnce the wind will do something weird there. Maybe thats why they say deer are edge creatures. I'd like to get some smoke bombs and go test out the wind in some of my spots. Milkweed works pretty good but a smoke bomb will probably really stand out.
I take my Bowhunting seriously
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:52 am

I believe the fact that you're thinking about it and questioning is forward progress. In the future answers will come much quicker in the field and success will follow.
Thats why I love spring bc cotton wood seeds are flowing through the air and its great to see different scenarios outside of hunting season.
KLEMZ

Unread postby KLEMZ » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:53 pm

Mathewshooter wrote: Maybe thats why they say deer are edge creatures.

BINGO!! That thought has occurred to me too. They live by there nose so it makes sense that they bed and travel along edges that create swirls and currents and thermals that give them a huge security advantage.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:12 pm

If I am reading your example correctly, I think it's the same as setting up on a tree line on a open field wind hits that first line of obstructions and creates a back wash. Winds a lot more stable a lil farther back in the timber. I believe deer are edge animals cause it's the only scenario for them to use all there senses to there advantage. Since the beginning danger has always come from there downwind side. So they set up on edge to get a good visual of there downwind side. And can smell anything they can't see farther back in the timber.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:13 pm

Jdaukontas wrote:Today the wind is blowing quite hard against my house from the west and I noticed the smoke coming off my chimney was instantly dropping off the downwind side of my home and curling back towards my house. I am assum8ng the wind is moving so hard over my house that its making an eddyon the backside of thw house which is pulling the smoke down and in towards the house.

With that, I got thinking about past setups that seemed to fail once I got one tree. Although we had strong directional winds that day, once I got down wind of a thick transition area, my wind went the exact opposite direction, not constantly, but enough to ruin the hunt. I am wondering if I was set up too close to the transition and the wind was actually creating an eddy when it rolled over the thick vegetation into the more open vegetation? Is there such a thing as too close to a hard transition?

My parents made an Eddy ;)
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:12 pm

Edcyclopedia wrote:
Jdaukontas wrote:Today the wind is blowing quite hard against my house from the west and I noticed the smoke coming off my chimney was instantly dropping off the downwind side of my home and curling back towards my house. I am assum8ng the wind is moving so hard over my house that its making an eddyon the backside of thw house which is pulling the smoke down and in towards the house.

My parents made an Eddy ;)

But it was and still is just a little one!!!!!!! :P ;) :mrgreen:
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:27 pm

Jdaukontas wrote:Today the wind is blowing quite hard against my house from the west and I noticed the smoke coming off my chimney was instantly dropping off the downwind side of my home and curling back towards my house. I am assum8ng the wind is moving so hard over my house that its making an eddy on the backside of thw house which is pulling the smoke down and in towards the house.

you are right on think of wind as water flowing threw a stream hitting rocks and boulders then tumbling and swirling
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:38 pm

ghoasthunter wrote:
Jdaukontas wrote:Today the wind is blowing quite hard against my house from the west and I noticed the smoke coming off my chimney was instantly dropping off the downwind side of my home and curling back towards my house. I am assum8ng the wind is moving so hard over my house that its making an eddy on the backside of thw house which is pulling the smoke down and in towards the house.

you are right on think of wind as water flowing threw a stream hitting rocks and boulders then tumbling and swirling

I had a set up tonight like that I was on a shelf sitting on side or a raven I checked the tree I wanted to use with milkweed and wind would swirl and shoot up hill I moved down twenty yards problem solved good hooking wind with dropping thermals
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:45 pm

SamPotter wrote:I think your assumption is correct. Any time air current flows over an object, there is likely to be an eddy on the downwind side, whether it is a ridge or really thick cover. I can't say I've experienced issues with thick cover, but my two suggestions would be to try to get higher if possible and/or back off that edge a little farther until the air current straightens out. You could also try setting up on a corner of the thick cover where some of the wind current should be less affected.
The whole time I'm typing this I'm thinking about a boulder in a river and how water reacts. Air will do pretty much the same thing in regards to obstacles.
trout sit flat on the bottom tight to a boulder to rest and deer do same to get out of wind I wonder if doing the same would beat that wind I need to go take a walk with milk weed tomorow

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”