Scrapes and Rubs Question

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Jussbowz

Scrapes and Rubs Question

Unread postby Jussbowz » Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:36 am

I am hunting a spot that is fairly overlooked. It is close to the road an crazy thick. I found it by accident cutting through a bottom to get to the road in the rain. When I walked down the slough there were rubs like crazy on this one side coming out of thick cover. So while it was raining I did a little quick scouting. On one side of the slough I found tons of big rubs, and no scraps. On the other side of the slough there are no rubs and all tons of scrapes.

I have never noticed this before where the rubs and scrapes were so separated like that. Which side would try first and why do you think they are so separated? The slough is roughly 90yds across.

Jdw
500 Club

Re: Scrapes and Rubs Question

Unread postby Jdw » Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:09 pm

Imo scrapes are used as a means of communication between multiple deer. Rubbing is something a buck is more inclined to do while doing his day to day activities.
I would think the rubs are placed where the buck spends a good bit of time and the scrapes are where he is more likely to encounter other deer.
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:27 pm

what direction were the rubs going and could the rubs be down wind of the scrapes mature bucks scent check scrapes from down wind and rub trees where the hang up. when they smell doe in scrapes they rub from excitement some times.
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
Jussbowz

Unread postby Jussbowz » Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:40 pm

ghoasthunter wrote:what direction were the rubs going and could the rubs be down wind of the scrapes mature bucks scent check scrapes from down wind and rub trees where the hang up. when they smell doe in scrapes they rub from excitement some times.

The rubs are on both sides of the trees. I can't really say if they are down wind as it is more paralleling the way the wind has been blowing.
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:55 pm

Jussbowz wrote:
ghoasthunter wrote:what direction were the rubs going and could the rubs be down wind of the scrapes mature bucks scent check scrapes from down wind and rub trees where the hang up. when they smell doe in scrapes they rub from excitement some times.

The rubs are on both sides of the trees. I can't really say if they are down wind as it is more paralleling the way the wind has been blowing.

if scrapes are 90 yards off rubs hunt that rub line twenty yards down wind sounds like a travel corridor I have a spot just like that its a super thick cedar swamp that runs along the road bucks travel the rub line and scent check scrapes on other side i get a lot of big bucks using it in daylight during the rut and they bed in it too.
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
Jussbowz

Unread postby Jussbowz » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:32 am

Thanks, I am going to give it a try either this week or next weekend. Will let you know what I see.
Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Unread postby Rob loper » Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:17 pm

See where the rublines go do they lead to food and bedding if i were you id get on the bedding end as close to bedding as you can. Just beyond sight hearing smell distance to beds at least what i was told and watched on dvds and guys on here. Get as close to the beds as you can. Cause 90% of those travel corridor rubs and scrapes especially on the food end of it. Is done at night
Hope it works out bro good luck

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”