Management or let grow.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Kane0928
Facebook: Alexander James kane

Management or let grow.

Unread postby Kane0928 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:50 pm

This buck has been around the farm all season and has been very active past few days. With muzzleloader season coming up I'm debating wether to go after him. I believe I have his shed from last year the brows are identical, but he's gained alot of mass, but lost tine length. Im awful at aging deer. What's your all's opinion on it. I'm not against just waiting to look for his sheds I enjoy searching as well as I do hunting.

Kane0928

Re: Management or let grow.

Unread postby Kane0928 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:51 pm

Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:08 pm

My opinion is if you are happy with him and be tickled pink then take him. If not maybe someone else who would find him to be buck of a lifetime will or he be better next year. I don’t get into deer management to much, if it’s something that I’m happy with I take it. With the exception of young ones, think the deer is clearly over 3.5 and will be better in every way next year.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
jman22
500 Club

Unread postby jman22 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:21 pm

Exactly what boogie said. If he's going to put a smile on your face, then go after him. If he doesn't meet your standards then goodluck finding his sheds! Either way that's a nice buck.
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:25 pm

I think another year might get some more growth on him if that’s what you want.

Me? Those look like some tasty backstraps right there :L:
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
thwack16
500 Club

Unread postby thwack16 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:32 pm

Totally depends on your situation; past kills, goals, how safe he’d be if you pass him, chances of him showing up next season, etc.

I certainly don’t think he’s grown his best rack.

Me personally? On my private, he’d get a pass with a gun this late in the season and I’d play the odds of him making it. With a bow, I’m trying to kill him as I feel he nets p&y.
Kane0928

Unread postby Kane0928 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:02 pm

In terms of goal orientation and reason for the hunt I really wanted to go after a older buck to close the season on the last few days. I've never killed one in the 5 year range and wanted to see if he made the cut. Im not after score and this point in the year I'm just as happy hunting as sitting back and taking time to scout and look for horns. Thanks for all the input!
vtbuck
500 Club

Unread postby vtbuck » Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:05 pm

End of the day you’re the one pulling the trigger. Like the others said if he’s what meets your criteria go for it.
Good luck!
Perfection is a dream, practice is hard work, and achieving a goal is making that goal a reality.
bowfreak8
500 Club

Unread postby bowfreak8 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:40 am

If he makes you happy kill em.
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:26 am

Do you have any pics of him earlier in the year (not post rut) and/or from last year?

Late season deer are deceptive looking. Some old bucks look old and haggard, some look sleek and younger.

I would lean toward saying that is a younger deer but not a high confidence level. He seems to have a pretty short face...."most" of the time older deer have longer noses, broader foreheads. But its a pretty wide bell curve.

Mass doesn't mean much when it comes to age. I have seen old bucks with thin racks and young bucks with lots of mass. Sure most 2 year olds have less mass than 5 year olds but there is no way to split apart 3-4-5 year olds by mass.

Regardless its a beautiful deer. I agree with everyone else regardless of age if you are excited to hunt him have at it otherwise don't bother.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:26 pm

I basically agree with JoeRE. What part of the country? Are you seeing larger racked bucks frequently on your property? Or is he one of the better ones. Just a few more thoughts to consider for helping you decide.
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
Kane0928

Unread postby Kane0928 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:38 pm

JoeRE wrote:Do you have any pics of him earlier in the year (not post rut) and/or from last year?

Late season deer are deceptive looking. Some old bucks look old and haggard, some look sleek and younger.

I would lean toward saying that is a younger deer but not a high confidence level. He seems to have a pretty short face...."most" of the time older deer have longer noses, broader foreheads. But its a pretty wide bell curve.

Mass doesn't mean much when it comes to age. I have seen old bucks with thin racks and young bucks with lots of mass. Sure most 2 year olds have less mass than 5 year olds but there is no way to split apart 3-4-5 year olds by mass.

Regardless its a beautiful deer. I agree with everyone else regardless of age if you are excited to hunt him have at it otherwise don't bother.

Here he is from September sometime. I'm about convinced to go after him, he's staying local on the farm for the past two years. I'm in SE Ohio and he's the biggest around currently. With asking opinions ive had enough history with the deer to leave him be and pursue other leads if he's a 3 year old.
mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:51 pm

Next year!
"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
cjw5136

Unread postby cjw5136 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:17 am

That’s a great buck and I would go after him if he’s on your property now and you have developed a bedding and/or feeding pattern. Lots of things can happen by next year. Crop rotations, unforeseen logging in the area, those confusing bright lights on those boxy metal things he sees when trying to cross the road, etc.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”