Game of Odds

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Dewey

Re: Game of Odds

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:01 am

Stanley wrote:
Boogieman1 wrote:Anyone ever sit back and think of Odds involved in hunting! Some states have higher odds of seeing deer, some with seeing bucks others with giant bucks. The way we choose to hunt is odds, a gun hunter increases his odds 1O fold over a bow guy. A hunter who elects to shoot any buck legal once again ups the odds over a guy holding out for something special. Somewhere in those odds is a personal satisfaction factor, what one guy can get away with hunting 2 days a year is a far cry from what others are playing the odds by. I get we all hunt for diff reasons be it challenge, meat or simply cause it’s trendy. Goals are different, I find it best if u r the competitive type to measure your success on a level field against local competition. If I was consistently getting dusted by old men with homemade stickbows I no I have much work to do. Some have to grind it out just to give themselves a chance, but from the state to the buck, to the spot, to the wind it all comes down to odds

I agree with you, it is an odds game for sure. I also agree that a gun increases the odds maybe more than 10 fold. You don't even hunt the same way with a gun. I used to catch myself still in bow mode when hunting with a gun after bow season. You see a buck at 125 yards you just drop down and shoot it with a gun. Totally different approach with a bow. I don't count any of my gun kills as an accomplishment, because quite frankly it is just too easy. That is why I haven't gun hunted for many years. Not being haughty, just the way I see it. Great topic for discussion.

I never killed a big buck with the gun. It’s much easier for me to kill them with a bow. The odds are obviously flipped for me. :lol:

tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:03 am

Dewey wrote:
Stanley wrote:
Boogieman1 wrote:Anyone ever sit back and think of Odds involved in hunting! Some states have higher odds of seeing deer, some with seeing bucks others with giant bucks. The way we choose to hunt is odds, a gun hunter increases his odds 1O fold over a bow guy. A hunter who elects to shoot any buck legal once again ups the odds over a guy holding out for something special. Somewhere in those odds is a personal satisfaction factor, what one guy can get away with hunting 2 days a year is a far cry from what others are playing the odds by. I get we all hunt for diff reasons be it challenge, meat or simply cause it’s trendy. Goals are different, I find it best if u r the competitive type to measure your success on a level field against local competition. If I was consistently getting dusted by old men with homemade stickbows I no I have much work to do. Some have to grind it out just to give themselves a chance, but from the state to the buck, to the spot, to the wind it all comes down to odds

I agree with you, it is an odds game for sure. I also agree that a gun increases the odds maybe more than 10 fold. You don't even hunt the same way with a gun. I used to catch myself still in bow mode when hunting with a gun after bow season. You see a buck at 125 yards you just drop down and shoot it with a gun. Totally different approach with a bow. I don't count any of my gun kills as an accomplishment, because quite frankly it is just too easy. That is why I haven't gun hunted for many years. Not being haughty, just the way I see it. Great topic for discussion.

I never killed a big buck with the gun. It’s much easier for me to kill them with a bow. The odds are obviously flipped for me. :lol:

The way Stan mows down big bucks, he needs to be hunting with a knife! ;)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:10 am

recon everything and attack knowledge is power
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:56 am

There is a formula for success. I wouldn’t know how to put it in numbers. Be cool if a statistician could. Like the advanced stats they have in professional baseball. Some of it is mind boggling

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”