Does extreme cold effect bow performance?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Josh_S
500 Club

Does extreme cold effect bow performance?

Unread postby Josh_S » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:03 am

Just curious about everyone's thoughts and experiences. I would think compunds, trad bows, and crossbows would all react a little differently.

mikew36

Re: Does extreme cold effect bow performance?

Unread postby mikew36 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:10 am

I shoot compounds and I haven't noticed a difference really, but I practice in cold too since I feel like cold makes shooting tougher for a person given stiffness and such. I think its more the way the person reacts to the elements than the bow itself. I have shot a boatload of different compounds and never thought any one of them seems to shoot different in cold.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:10 am

This is an excellent question and one I have been thinking about myself since missing very badly on a big buck yesterday.

I have obviously always practiced with my cold weather gear on and even went as far as keeping my bow in the freezer for a few days at below zero to see if it affected performance. As far as I could tell it didn’t matter much except my bow seemed a little slower which would affect trajectory on longer shots.

Yesterday I was out of my HBS for about a 1/2 hour before taking the shot at below zero temps with pretty stiff wind. I was getting pretty cold but felt I was still fine to shoot. In reality my form was probably very bad because my hands were really cold and all my muscles in my upper body were very stiff. Normally when I’m anchored for the shot muscle memory comes into play and it just feels right. Yesterday when I was at full draw my muscles were numb and it just didn’t feel natural. I should have immediately let down but I didn’t.

I will likely never know what happened but let my mistake be a lesson to everyone else to get out in the frigid weather with all your clothing on and see how your shooting is affected. I think you will all be very surprised how tough it can be. Hunting/shooting in that stuff is so much different than summertime 3D shooting in shorts and t-shirt. I believe most guys are not even close to being prepared for this.
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:17 am

I know a guy who is convinced that plastic veins perform much differently in very cold weather. He switched to feathers for cold weather hunting. I don't have any personal info but thought id throw it out there. anyone believe this or have info?

I'm sure that all the extra clothes, gloves, and very cold, stiff muscles can drastically effect shooting.
Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:26 am

From what I have read it does. However, the changed is very small, so nothing to worry about.
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:49 am

I'm actually afraid to shoot my bow in double digit below zero weather. I'm scared my bow will be damaged or blow apart. There is a lot of force and that is awful cold.
Arrowbender
500 Club

Unread postby Arrowbender » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:57 am

Several comments here:
I have noticed that my drop away rest gets the slightest bit of slack in the cord at @ 10 degrees. Tightens right back up when warmer. More slack at -10.

My bow is louder when it's 10 degrees or colder than it is in the summer.

The face mask while shooting will move your anchor! Logic says if your sight picture is good the shot should be good, but your anchor will move.

So....yes. Both. Bow performance is affected and form is affected. Only practice will dictate if it's appreciable.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:58 am

Bowhunting Brian wrote:From what I have read it does. However, the changed is very small, so nothing to worry about.

I would never go by what is read. Get out there and experiment it for yourself. So many factors come into play and each person will likely be different.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:45 am

I believe the noise of a bow will change in the cold. Things that might be whisper quiet in warmer weather get amplified. Have also heard what magic mentioned about veins. Think this was b4 drop away rest, the veins would freeze and not shoot off the shelf or through a biscuit the same. I have no experience with those conditions so don’t shoot the messenger. Confidence in your abilities and equipment is huge, suggesting practice in every condition imaginable and u will be able to pick up on little things that later could prove to be the deciding factor.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:52 am

Extreme conditions effect everything, metal, water, muscle, plastic etc. Look at what water does it becomes a solid in extreme cold. It becomes a gas in extreme heat. So yes your bow is effected in cold weather.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Bowonly

Unread postby Bowonly » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:46 am

I can't speak to the extreme cold that guys further north experience but I've shot several deer from 7 to 20 degrees here in Kentucky. I never noticed a difference on them or during any cold practice.

That said, I can't remember shooting a late season deer much past twenty yards. Between multiple layers and them being so jumpy after rifle season, I never wanted to push my luck.

For what it's worth I shoot a compound with feathers and a fall away rest.
Take someone hunting or fishing.
fr0sty

Unread postby fr0sty » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:36 am

I was out in -10 last weekend and when I did a test draw of my bow, the cable slide would stick and then make a noise when it slipped loose. Anything I can put on the cable guard to fix that?
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:42 am

fr0sty wrote:I was out in -10 last weekend and when I did a test draw of my bow, the cable slide would stick and then make a noise when it slipped loose. Anything I can put on the cable guard to fix that?

Light coating of vegetable oil.
fr0sty

Unread postby fr0sty » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:57 am

Awesome, thanks!
Bowonly

Unread postby Bowonly » Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:30 pm

fr0sty wrote:I was out in -10 last weekend and when I did a test draw of my bow, the cable slide would stick and then make a noise when it slipped loose. Anything I can put on the cable guard to fix that?

Excess bow wax can get over on the cable rod and gum things up especially in cold weather. Pull the cable slide if possible; clean it and rod prior to adding any lube.
Take someone hunting or fishing.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”