Adam Hayes moon guide??

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Adam Hayes moon guide??

Unread postby mheichelbech » Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:21 am

Anybody use this? Wondering about the real world effectiveness.

"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
BA-IV

Re: Adam Hayes moon guide??

Unread postby BA-IV » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:02 am

I really enjoyed his podcast on W2H..."in my opinion" you have to take it in context, and realize he's hunting highly managed places, BUT mature deer still act like mature deer and he's knocking them down on a regular basis. He's got something figured out!
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:34 am

He and a friend of his bought Jeff Murrys moon guide after Jeff died. Its the same moon guide I use to use. However, I don't buy into all the philosophy it claims, I just look at the moon over head and under foot times. It don't work as well with heavy pressure deer as it does with low pressure. I no longer buy the guide cause When Adam bought the company he tripled the price and all the info I need is available free on-line with a google search.
Mathewshooter

Unread postby Mathewshooter » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:57 am

I bought Bill Vales book a few years ago. He has a bunch of info in it about hunting the moon phases and peak movement times. The first time I read it, it boggled my mind. I never paid it any attention until this past season. I made it a point to figure out what he was trying to say in his book. I think I read that section 3 more times just to figure it out and then made my own calendar based off what he was saying. From what I and the guys at my hunting camp observed this fall it was pretty much dead on! We did see deer outside of the peak times obviously, but a whole lot more of our sightings came during it. His premise is based off what Dan talked about....the overhead and underfoot times. It gets way more involved than that though. I keep a detailed account of all my hunts. Maybe some day I'll make a post of how my hunts corresponded with his peak movement times. I know that on 2 separate days I saw a huge 10 point during these peak movement times. One of them was 2:30 in the afternoon when I wouldnt have normally been in my stand yet. The only reason I was there early was because the peak movement time told me to be.
I take my Bowhunting seriously
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:40 am

Big fan of the moon, have killed 3 bucks on moon evenings. Skip the guide and watch those overhead/underfoot times, I have even seen ok movement during the minor periods. Just go to usprimetimes.com to get all the details you need. ;)
mheichelbech
500 Club

Unread postby mheichelbech » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:02 am

dan wrote:He and a friend of his bought Jeff Murrys moon guide after Jeff died. Its the same moon guide I use to use. However, I don't buy into all the philosophy it claims, I just look at the moon over head and under foot times. It don't work as well with heavy pressure deer as it does with low pressure. I no longer buy the guide cause When Adam bought the company he tripled the price and all the info I need is available free on-line with a google search.

So basically it’s what I thought, that he has taken something that is easily available information, has organized that info and packaged it done a big marketing spiel with it and is making money from it....pretty good idea really. Don’t like tripling the price but I’m sure there is some marketing cost buried in that.

What about his concept about the red moon or something like that?
"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
purebowhunting
500 Club

Unread postby purebowhunting » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:21 am

mheichelbech wrote:What about his concept about the red moon or something like that?

I believe the red moon is simply the days the overhead and underfoot times are closest to sun rise and set. By buddy purchased his moon guide, is simple and useful but in a high pressure situation you'd be best always pushing near bedding.
Mathewshooter

Unread postby Mathewshooter » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:05 am

purebowhunting wrote:
mheichelbech wrote:What about his concept about the red moon or something like that?

I believe the red moon is simply the days the overhead and underfoot times are closest to sun rise and set. By buddy purchased his moon guide, is simple and useful but in a high pressure situation you'd be best always pushing near bedding.

This is what Bill Vale says in his book. The best days are when peak times are within 2 hours of sunrise or sunset. If you can get this scenario on perigee days then those are the top days to hunt. He also says you can predict breeding by moon too but I have not paid attention to that long enough to form an opinion. Supposedly breeding takes place around the new moon. I did see a big buck this year on opening day of gun following a doe around. This was November 18th...the day of the new moon.
I take my Bowhunting seriously
Swampbuck

Unread postby Swampbuck » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:38 am

headgear wrote:Big fan of the moon, have killed 3 bucks on moon evenings. Skip the guide and watch those overhead/underfoot times, I have even seen ok movement during the minor periods. Just go to usprimetimes.com to get all the details you need. ;)

Same here on usprimetimes... and I agree i have seen more deer during the minor phases than the major. And it does seem to hold far more consistent for in pressured deer
Make It Happen
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:24 pm

Think the brilliant part of a moonguide is there is always someone gonna see what u r selling. Think there is a lot of things effected by the moon, however I’m going regardless and I feel weather and pressure trumps all.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Weaver.b

Unread postby Weaver.b » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:31 pm

Mathewshooter wrote:I bought Bill Vales book a few years ago. He has a bunch of info in it about hunting the moon phases and peak movement times. The first time I read it, it boggled my mind. I never paid it any attention until this past season. I made it a point to figure out what he was trying to say in his book. I think I read that section 3 more times just to figure it out and then made my own calendar based off what he was saying. From what I and the guys at my hunting camp observed this fall it was pretty much dead on! We did see deer outside of the peak times obviously, but a whole lot more of our sightings came during it. His premise is based off what Dan talked about....the overhead and underfoot times. It gets way more involved than that though. I keep a detailed account of all my hunts. Maybe some day I'll make a post of how my hunts corresponded with his peak movement times. I know that on 2 separate days I saw a huge 10 point during these peak movement times. One of them was 2:30 in the afternoon when I wouldnt have normally been in my stand yet. The only reason I was there early was because the peak movement time told me to be.

I also have his book and agree it is pretty deep. Takes a few times to really grasp it. The dark period is pretty amazing when you pay attention to when the big bucks start falling.
When my time upon this earth the days they are fulfilled let me die at least as clean as those I killed
mheichelbech
500 Club

Unread postby mheichelbech » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:29 pm

Boogieman1 wrote:Think the brilliant part of a moonguide is there is always someone gonna see what u r selling. Think there is a lot of things effected by the moon, however I’m going regardless and I feel weather and pressure trumps all.

This is the part that would feel like it’s a waste of money for me anyways, I hunt 99% of every opportunity I get. I guess it’s possible it could get me to sit longer or get to my afternoon stand earlier or sit at different times...but that’s about the only change.

I wonder if anyone had ever based their hunting times off the major/minor periods and saw a difference in bucks moving?
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:39 pm

It’s one of those deals that’s just tough to get a concrete answer. I used to compare every trai cam pic to all aspects of the moon. One year I thought I had cracked the code, then the next year it was complete opposite. Then things like the red moon is a lot like the rut one guy a 1/2 mile away has the hunt of his life, while u r sitting in a ghost town. Can’t think of a way to prove or disprove, I mean u run the the study in a controlled environment so u can monitor and that removes all the pressure from the equation. For that reason I feel the only real advantage one has is time to be in the woods.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
mheichelbech
500 Club

Unread postby mheichelbech » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:41 am

I saw a study that said the same thing you just said Boogie.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:51 am

Boogieman1 wrote:Think the brilliant part of a moonguide is there is always someone gonna see what u r selling. Think there is a lot of things effected by the moon, however I’m going regardless and I feel weather and pressure trumps all.

The moon isn't some golden ticket to success, its kind of like the weather. If you aren't doing your homework and setup in the right spot its not going to work, its just one of many variables to take into consideration. It is also probably harder to see in high deer density areas because you see too many deer to notice a difference and they are out and about at prime time anyway. It also works great for turkeys too, so many times I will be driving and see turkeys feed along side the roads at peak moon times. Like anything else its doesn't work all the time but is another great tool. It's not just about deer, ask any serious fisherman about moon feeding periods, there is something to it beyond just deer.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”