Dip/chew in the stand?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

SouthpawSwitchback

Re: Dip/chew in the stand?

Unread postby SouthpawSwitchback » Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:58 pm

magicman54494 wrote:
Boogieman1 wrote:
magicman54494 wrote:I happy to announce that i just made it one month without a dip.

Congrats man! Think afew weeks is the longest I’ve made it. Also think I gained 10 pounds plus during that stretch. Seems I develop a sweet tooth when I try quitting. Did u replace that habit with something else? It was brutally tough for me after a meal

I chew a lot of toothpicks. lol

I do that too... my floor mat looks like a tinder pile :lol:

Wannabelikedan
500 Club

Unread postby Wannabelikedan » Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:45 pm

Boogieman1 wrote:
magicman54494 wrote:I happy to announce that i just made it one month without a dip.

Congrats man! Think afew weeks is the longest I’ve made it. Also think I gained 10 pounds plus during that stretch. Seems I develop a sweet tooth when I try quitting. Did u replace that habit with something else? It was brutally tough for me after a meal

This 100%

I’ve done it since I started dipping. Can’t say that it does or doesn’t bother them. I’ve had deer smell it underneath my stand and never bother. On the other hand if you sit the same area enough they learn how you move and where you sit according to the scent trail you leave with it. No different than if you didn’t dip though IMO
Teaching is only demonstrating that it is possible.... Learning is making it possible for yourself.
wolverinebuckman
500 Club

Unread postby wolverinebuckman » Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:05 pm

That is awesome news! :clap: Anytime we can break free from an addiction is great. I had a long bout with cigarettes myself, 13 years of two packs a day of menthol! I haven't touched a cigarette now since 2007. :dance: The day I quit I gave it over to Jesus. I said if he'd take the withdrawal and craving I would do my part by never putting one to my mouth again. Now even the smell grosses me out!
I know even one hit would have me hooked again. Commit yourself to never again. May God bless your efforts!
Bummer of a birthmark, Hal.
riverrat bbq

Unread postby riverrat bbq » Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:05 pm

Magicman, that's awesome. keep at it and be vigilant, it can sneak up on you if you don't watch out. All the best man.
Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Unread postby Rob loper » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:52 am

So awesome quitting i started smoking when i was 15 and smoked for 25 years.quit in 2015 It was by far the hardest thing i ever tried to quit ever. But you gotta want to quit nobody can get it done but you. Just keep telling yourself its for me im strong and i can do it
If i can quit anybody can. Its been 3 years and i gained 60 lbs so expect a little weight gain Im 43 and it doesnt come off as easy as it once did 10-15 years ago lol
But its coming off slowly. I wanna get to 200 by next new next fall. So hard to do
Good luck bro u can do it keep at it
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:14 am

didnt mean to hijack this thread, sorry. thanks for a thr kind encouraging words everyone.
back to the topic
i never really noticed a negative response to chew but i often had a spare tin to spit in. i know they like tobacco but not sure about chew spit. best advise is to err on the safe side and not leave any unnecessary scent.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:08 pm

I chew in the stand and while scouting. Never had an issue other than yearlings are attracted to the base of the tree.
Chuck B
500 Club

Unread postby Chuck B » Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:28 pm

I quit chewing 3 years ago. What helped me was a product called back off. You can order it online. The best “fake chew” on the market by far. And, I still chew it. This could be a good replacement for you guys while hunting that don’t like to swallow the chew spit. You can swallow this back off stuff and then you don’t have to worry about leaving scent behind.

As for peeing on stand, I have always carried a Gatorade bottle in. Am I the minority here? Most guys just on the ground from stand?
If you aren't green and growing, you are ripe and rotting
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:19 pm

Chuck B wrote:I quit chewing 3 years ago. What helped me was a product called back off. You can order it online. The best “fake chew” on the market by far. And, I still chew it. This could be a good replacement for you guys while hunting that don’t like to swallow the chew spit. You can swallow this back off stuff and then you don’t have to worry about leaving scent behind.

As for peeing on stand, I have always carried a Gatorade bottle in. Am I the minority here? Most guys just on the ground from stand?

Chuck I once stopped about 100 yards from my stand on the way in to take a leak, short time after I watched a young buck walk right to it put his nose in it,paw and pee right on top of it. Since then I have read studies when urine breaks down the species can’t be determined. I often get pics of stray cats and everything else in scrapes. Have heard though if u take a lot of medication it could have a negative effect. Most trees I hunt I don’t really care spit out the stand, pee whatever cause I have no plans of returning and damage is done. If it’s a stand I plan on hunting several times I’m a lot more careful on any unnecessary scent left behind.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:33 am

I'd be far more worried about the health hazards related to chewing then the deer smelling you. It's like anything else, if the smell the dip, smoke, aftershave they are already smelling you along with those other things.
Chuck B
500 Club

Unread postby Chuck B » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:39 am

Boogieman1 wrote:
Chuck B wrote:I quit chewing 3 years ago. What helped me was a product called back off. You can order it online. The best “fake chew” on the market by far. And, I still chew it. This could be a good replacement for you guys while hunting that don’t like to swallow the chew spit. You can swallow this back off stuff and then you don’t have to worry about leaving scent behind.

Chuck I once stopped about 100 yards from my stand on the way in to take a leak, short time after I watched a young buck walk right to it put his nose in it,paw and pee right on top of it. Since then I have read studies when urine breaks down the species can’t be determined. I often get pics of stray cats and everything else in scrapes. Have heard though if u take a lot of medication it could have a negative effect. Most trees I hunt I don’t really care spit out the stand, pee whatever cause I have no plans of returning and damage is done. If it’s a stand I plan on hunting several times I’m a lot more careful on any unnecessary scent left behind.

Yea, that makes sense I guess. One less thing to carry in my pack ( bottle), so that would be good! But yea, maybe not the smartest thing to do on your best tree's that you plan hunting several times.
If you aren't green and growing, you are ripe and rotting
superblackhawk

Unread postby superblackhawk » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:19 am

magicman54494 wrote:
Boogieman1 wrote:

I chew a lot of toothpicks. lol

Chewed alot of toothpicks when i quit smoking....still keep some on my desk at work.

Chew, only chew during hunting season, so allow myself that.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”