How Cold is Too Cold For You?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Dewey

Re: How Cold is Too Cold For You?

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:03 pm

Emrah wrote:I'm gonna have to go back and re-read the iwom vs. hbs thread again. Seems they're both equally warm. Trying to figure out the best one for my needs for next year.

Emrah

I'm currently testing both and will do an honest review after the season.

john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:04 pm

I havnt deer hunted in December in 6 or 7 years.
I don't own any good quality cold weather gear.
So if it's under 20 decrees and it's not early November, I'm at home, but I can tolerate colder temps while scouting cuz I'm always moving
wolverinebuckman
500 Club

Unread postby wolverinebuckman » Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:12 pm

Stanley wrote:If it's not fun, then it's too cold.

^^^^^^
It's getting there. Haven't enjoyed the last two night's sits. :?
3 days left in season and half the last deer cleaned out of the freezer...going to have to bare with the frostbitten boredom, or else give up the jerky dream. :think:
Bummer of a birthmark, Hal.
fulldraw1979

Unread postby fulldraw1979 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:44 pm

I went out Tuesday afternoon and sat for four hours. I was pleased to see that The parking lot was empty when I arrived which confirmed that I might be nuts. :D The temp was 8 degrees with -10 wind chill. I wore three layers on top and bottom with a ski mask and wool hat over that. I wore wool socks with a pair of cotton socks over those.I have thin gloves for bow hunting because I don’t want to be fiddling around if I have a shot.

For my outer wear I have muck boots and cabela’s Wooltimate jacket and pants which I’ve been happy with. I think both the jacket and pants were around $175 combined.

The saving grace for me has been hot hands - one in each pocket and then two for each foot. I put one on top of the toes and one under.
“Nothing in this world is worth having or worth doing unless it means effort, pain, difficulty.”
- Theodore Roosevelt
Wannabelikedan
500 Club

Unread postby Wannabelikedan » Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:29 pm

Unless I hunt out of state during the late season in a more northern state I’ll never know what “too cold” is. Upper teens/lower 20’s is about the lowest highs we ever see here with some single digits in the really early/late hours. These are very rare conditions though. Normally the high averages right around 50 during the winter. Supposed to be mid 20’s for the high Sunday and Monday. There will be very few out trying their luck in it.
Teaching is only demonstrating that it is possible.... Learning is making it possible for yourself.
HighNtree

Unread postby HighNtree » Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:06 pm

In Maryland it is windy, cold, and the air has a lot of moisture in it due to our nearness to the Potomac and Chesapeake watersheds. There are few things that I enjoy less than being out in the woods in Maryland when the temperature drops below freezing. It is like taking a shower in cold water... the deer are safe from me until things warm up :cry:
ThePreBanMan
500 Club

Unread postby ThePreBanMan » Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:04 pm

I was out in the low teens with some wind. That's pretty much my limit. Wasn't fun.
Chuck B
500 Club

Unread postby Chuck B » Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:07 pm

I hunted in zero degree temps this afternoon and was rewarded with being able to warm up my hands with the gut job on a Doe! Love the late season but gotta have the right gear.
If you aren't green and growing, you are ripe and rotting
minnesotahunter
Facebook: No Facebook

Unread postby minnesotahunter » Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:44 pm

Bedbug wrote:In short for me.
-20 degree with zero mph wind I can do
0 degrees with 20 mph wind I can not do

Nailed it.
"If you consider an unsuccessful hunt to be a waste of time, then the true meaning of the chase eludes you all together"
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:18 am

Yesterday was the coldest ive ever been in a tree it was 8 degrees winchill of 2.

Not sure i could hunt below 0

Those of us in Tennessee think 0 degreess is darn cold! Was not a single hunter out yesterday besides crazy me.

I wore 3 thermal tops and 2 jackets.
1 layer of thermal pants with 4 layers of walmart sweatpants 2 pairs of socks a neck warmer and 2 fleece facemask im sure i loooked rediculous.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Unread postby Rob loper » Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:36 am

Ok
Is merino wool worth it base layer long johns hood socks etc
And rubber boots is what i where hunting and no matter if i lit my feet on fire in my stand my feet get cold in rubber boots probably under 25 degrees
Any advice? I do use foot and toe warmers but i think alot of times they deactivate when in rubber boots cause air doent get too them
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:46 am

I try not to think about it! You have to go out with a mind over matter mentality! It is gonna be cold. You'll probably be uncomfortable at some point. I've had times I didn't think I could actually sit the whole night, and I did. A positive mental attitude helps!

I've found that moving around while really cold helps alot. Rolling my shoulders, twisting my back & working my toes multiple times. These movements are small, but they can really help keep you warm and be ready to pull that bow back when the time comes Also, extending you feet out in front of you and just having your heals on the platform. This allows much better circulation and airflow around your foot!

Suck it up and hunt!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Unread postby Rob loper » Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:50 am

tgreeno wrote:I try not to think about it! You have to go out with a mind over matter mentality! It is gonna be cold. You'll probably be uncomfortable at some point. I've had times I didn't think I could actually sit the whole night, and I did. A positive mental attitude helps!

I've found that moving around while really cold helps alot. Rolling my shoulders, twisting my back & working my toes multiple times. These movements are small, but they can really help keep you warm and be ready to pull that bow back when the time comes Also, extending you feet out in front of you and just having your heals on the platform. This allows much better circulation and airflow around your foot!

Suck it up and hunt!

I do all this and still get cold i must be a reptile lol
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:38 am

Lopedog699 wrote:
tgreeno wrote:I try not to think about it! You have to go out with a mind over matter mentality! It is gonna be cold. You'll probably be uncomfortable at some point. I've had times I didn't think I could actually sit the whole night, and I did. A positive mental attitude helps!

Suck it up and hunt!

I do all this and still get cold i must be a reptile lol

You also need to have decent gear. I don't own any sitka or super high end gear, but still manage to keep warm. Everyone has a different tolerance for cold.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Emrah

Unread postby Emrah » Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:57 am

Went out yesterday for a few hours. Got to bow hike and still hunt my way through new areas. It was -5. When I'm even mildly layered and moving, even just a little bit, I'm perfectly comfortable. Couldn't sit too long though.

Either way, it was so pretty outside (light snow falling) that it would have been a shame to be inside. It was my last day to deer hunt. It's been an incredible season. I've learned and seen so much. Plus I have 2 more months of small game season where I pretty much have the woods to myself; especially in the archery-only areas.

Oh, and I'm leaning toward an IWOM for next year!

Emrah

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”