Back pack

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Back pack

Unread postby Rob loper » Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:42 am

Allright im debating on a back pack or not with my sticks and stand
I need to use a linesmans belt cause i have bad shoulder and bad back so i need one
I do wear gloves and hat this time of year and plan to pack my coveralls to tree bt put on at tree so i dont sweat then freeze an hour later.
Just wondering if i need it or not
Ive always used a back pack but only when i hunted a pre hung stand
Well im new to mobile hunting and beast mode. So i think any excessive gear would be a problem for noise or just un needed weight. Ive always been a little worried about getting turned around at night in woods. So i carry a compass a grunt call doe bleat can toilet paper
2 flashlights linesmans belt hat facemask gloves handwarmers and of course a pill bottle of milkweed or cattails but with these phones we have now its almost impossible to get lost (still creepy though)i know im a wuss lol.
Any advice? Or thoughts
How many of you carry a back pack?

Rich M
500 Club

Re: Back pack

Unread postby Rich M » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:10 am

I've fallen into the carry too much stuff trap and often lug a pack:
headlamp
thermacell
water & snack
TP
knife
hat/gloves/facemask
straps for sticks & stand

GPS goes around my neck
compass is a pin on variety and is on the shoulder strap for pack
Stand and sticks go on outside of pack

A decent pack will make your stand carrying easier - I have the horn hunter main beam xl pack (3000 ci) and she is comfy with the approximate 30# of weight between stand/sticks/belts/bracket/pack gear.

When I don't feel like lugging the stand & sticks, I carry a 5# chair from Walmart and sit on the ground.
Emrah

Unread postby Emrah » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:43 am

Lopedog, I'm in the same boat as you. I carry a bunch of stuff (harness, tree belt, lineman belt) and the later the season, the more stuff I need to carry in (gloves, hat, more layers, jacket, bibs, and even sometimes a sleeping bag).

I use the Kuiu Icon Pro 1850. I don't have the carbon frame but I get by fine. It carries a ton of stuff internally, has well laid out pockets and I can lash stuff to the outside, including my stand and sticks. Carries really comfortably with the hip belt.

Only downside is trying to hang and man handle a big pack in the tree.

Emrah
vtbuck
500 Club

Unread postby vtbuck » Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:23 am

Look into fanny packs. That’s what I’m probably going to do. Badlands Monster fanny or something similar. I’m realizing more now days I bring too much crap with me.
Perfection is a dream, practice is hard work, and achieving a goal is making that goal a reality.
WISCOANDY

Unread postby WISCOANDY » Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:17 am

I use a cheap fanny pack, and just bungee my clothes to my stand. I used to carry a huge backpack, but all it did was allowed me to carry more junk I didn't need.
Whitetailaddict
500 Club

Unread postby Whitetailaddict » Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:59 pm

Fanny packs are the way to go if you can get all your gear in which becomes harder later in the season with some of the extra layering you need. If you were debating not using a linemans belt while hanging a stand due to it being extra weight I'd recommend you take it and wear it no matter what. It is a tool that can help keep you safe and possibly save your life. Never skimp on safety equipment.
Rob loper
500 Club

Unread postby Rob loper » Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:29 am

Whitetailaddict wrote:Fanny packs are the way to go if you can get all your gear in which becomes harder later in the season with some of the extra layering you need. If you were debating not using a linemans belt while hanging a stand due to it being extra weight I'd recommend you take it and wear it no matter what. It is a tool that can help keep you safe and possibly save your life. Never skimp on safety equipment.

Oh believe me i would never try not to hang anything without a linesman belt
i can do it, but i have a bad shoulder and herniated discs in lower back from work injuries years ago so it kills me to hang stands or sticks without the belt
Im going to a saddle its supposed to be here on jan 7th so
It is supposed to be great for long sits. I sit 4-5 hrs not a big all day guy. Big boys just dont move like that
Fanny is is think the way im gonna go.
But a badlands pack is out of the question. 200$ for a pack is insane too me
Thnks for the tips guys
Wlog
500 Club

Unread postby Wlog » Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:28 am

I go back and forth on this stuff all the time. I was pretty well settled in to my routine with my hang on stand. I had a harness with pockets attached. Everything was in the same place all the time and I knew as soon as I put on my harness I had everything I needed.
Now with a saddle I'm back to taking along a fanny pack. Seems like there is no perfect solution and sometimes I want to just come up with something of my own design that fits all my needs.
Lope ever consider a turkey vest or bow hunter vest? Again it's not ideal when you have on tons of layers but it may be worth considering.
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
Ragingun

Unread postby Ragingun » Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:50 am

I carry one early season. Late season I stick all my crap into my IWOM, roll it up and strap it to the stand. I only buy very specific packs. They need to meet a list of requirements for each piece of gear and be able to meet all of those requirements for gun/bow/hiking/even duck hunting.

Dogs have many friends because they wag their tails, not their tongues.
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:17 am

Lopedog699 wrote:
Whitetailaddict wrote:Fanny packs are the way to go if you can get all your gear in which becomes harder later in the season with some of the extra layering you need. If you were debating not using a linemans belt while hanging a stand due to it being extra weight I'd recommend you take it and wear it no matter what. It is a tool that can help keep you safe and possibly save your life. Never skimp on safety equipment.

i can do it, but i have a bad shoulder and herniated discs in lower back from work injuries years ago so it kills me to hang stands or sticks without the belt
It is supposed to be great for long sits. I sit 4-5 hrs not a big all day guy. Big boys just dont move like that
Thnks for the tips guys

I got a badlands fanny pack for $50 shipped. Combine that with the quality and warranty, it’s well worth it.
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
ajandrs

Unread postby ajandrs » Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:23 am

I'm guilty of carrying way too much, but I do like knowing I have anything I'd need and up until now at least I've never felt the extra weight has hurt me any ... but I've never had to hike in more than half a mile. I was needing a new pack so my sister-in-law got me the Allen Pagosa daypack for Christmas and it's a great pack with a ton of great features but man is it big. Way more space than I'd need for even an all-day sit. I'll keep it and use it some since it's a nice option to have in my , but I'll look for a smaller pack that would better fit my needs for the majority of my sits. I doubt I'll ever whittle it all down to fit in a waste (fanny) pack unless I have to start hiking much longer distances.
Voz

Unread postby Voz » Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:26 am

I mainly use a backpack but do use a fanny pack in certain situations.
Rob loper
500 Club

Unread postby Rob loper » Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:07 am

Jonny wrote:
Lopedog699 wrote:

Thnks for the tips guys

I got a badlands fanny pack for $50 shipped. Combine that with the quality and warranty, it’s well worth it.

Dam thats a great deal they are expensive
Rob loper
500 Club

Unread postby Rob loper » Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:12 am

Wlog wrote:I go back and forth on this stuff all the time. I was pretty well settled in to my routine with my hang on stand. I had a harness with pockets attached. Everything was in the same place all the time and I knew as soon as I put on my harness I had everything I needed.
Now with a saddle I'm back to taking along a fanny pack. Seems like there is no perfect solution and sometimes I want to just come up with something of my own design that fits all my needs.
Lope ever consider a turkey vest or bow hunter vest? Again it's not ideal when you have on tons of layers but it may be worth considering.

Turkey vest a great idea but does it get in way of saftey vest. ?
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:38 am

Lopedog699 wrote:
Jonny wrote:
Lopedog699 wrote:

Thnks for the tips guys

Dam thats a great deal they are expensive

The backpacks are. Fanny packs are a lot cheaper. Look at the badlands ambush and monster fanny packs. Not the cheapest but they are really nice
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”