What is the best ground blind setup?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

What is the best ground blind setup?

Unread postby mheichelbech » Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:20 am

What would be the best ground blind setup or ideas for a ground blind that is quick and easy to set up....I am familiar with pop up blinds, with using native vegetation or with some type of camo screening. This time of year vegetation can be sparse of course. This would be for areas that for whatever reason, a treestand just isn’t practical. Need something, quick, quiet and easy.

My first thought is a camo screen...the burlap or “3D” leafy type blinds that could be propped up with sticks and have whatever native vegetation I could find propped up with it...and either sitting on a stool or the ground.

Just looking to hear what has worked the best for others on impromptu setups. Wasn’t sure if there were any pop up blinds that were practical for this situation.

Thanks.

"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
backstraps

Re: What is the best ground blind setup?

Unread postby backstraps » Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:47 pm

For this time of the year when the woods are bare and open, I generally opt to sit against a big tree, fallen tree tops, or bushes. I am not sure I have seen anything that would conceal easily for this time of year. However, if it was a setup you planned on leaving in the woods, you could setup a typical ground blind early in the year and by this time of year comes around deer would be used to it and cover wouldnt be needed??
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:06 pm

I would go with a natural set. Ground blinds of any kind are hard enough to hide even when everything is green. Its a little different if you have time to set them and leave them so the deer have a few weeks (or preferably longer) to get used to them. Its do-able though. The outline is more of a worry than anything. Brush it in REAL good if you do try a pop up.

My way of thinking is if you can successfully hide a ground blind adequately enough to not spook deer in bow range, you can hide yourself too.

Hide behind a tree, blowdowns are awesome, cattails, thickets... use your imagination and make something work ;) Just make sure you can move your feet quietly. I've thought about bringing a chunk of carpet or something similar to stand on to prevent snow crunch.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:24 pm

Only thing I have ever seen that u can sit out and hunt immediately without drawing attention is in farm country a hay bale blind where there is already bales. In those conditions they are absolutely deadly. Otherwise I agree with what others have said in hiding in something that’s already there
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:42 pm

Blowdowns are deadly as well and are one of my favorite setups.

In general it takes less cover than you might think. They key is to break up your outline and keep you movement to a minimum. I use a crossbow propped on a monopod and it helps with the movement.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
wolverinebuckman
500 Club

Unread postby wolverinebuckman » Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:03 pm

I took about 5 to 10 minutes to quickly brush in a tree with some leaning sticks and fallen branches that would break up my legs on the ground and body. Just make sure to leave shooting lanes and draw room.
Sitting on cushion or milk crate.
Bummer of a birthmark, Hal.
checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:03 pm

Horizontal Hunter wrote:Blowdowns are deadly as well and are one of my favorite setups.

In general it takes less cover than you might think. They key is to break up your outline and keep you movement to a minimum. I use a crossbow propped on a monopod and it helps with the movement.

Bob

Yup exactly what I do too. Except I use a bipod if I use a prop
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:27 pm

Au Naturel.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Ladykiller

Unread postby Ladykiller » Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:34 pm

I've actually done some slick ground setups recently.

1) used an old barn last Saturday. Had 8 does parade by me at 3 yards. Shot 1.

2) used a very thick hedgerow. Its so thick you can't see through it. Food is on one side, bedding on the other. I sat on the food side of the hedgerow, carving out a spot to sit and made 2 shooting lanes (one left, one right). I want to just barely see the deer coming to the left or right of me through the brush AFTER they make it through the hedgerow. They are not expecting anything from behind them. Once they hit my shooting lanes, let an arrow fly.

3) I've never used one yet, but those Ghost Blinds are pretty slick...
Wetfoot
500 Club

Unread postby Wetfoot » Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:10 am

My favorite is a blow-down or horizontal branch, it needn't be large, good cover behind you has the most significant effect. Anything to break up your outline. Use the deers movement behind cover to hide your movement. Of course, hiding from their nose is paramount. ;)

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”