How is your state's deer season run?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Buckshot20
500 Club

Re: How is your state's deer season run?

Unread postby Buckshot20 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:46 am

PK_ wrote:
Lopedog699 wrote:
PK_ wrote:Hunting license is good for a calendar year from date purchased. No tags.

2 deer/day Aug-Feb if you are willing to hunt each zone.

It’s the best.

Where you at? (Live). ?

FL :doh:

Now everybody is going to be headed here to shoot our giant deer

Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Unread postby Rob loper » Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:02 am

Buckshot20 wrote:
PK_ wrote:
Lopedog699 wrote:
PK_ wrote:Hunting license is good for a calendar year from date purchased. No tags.

2 deer/day Aug-Feb if you are willing to hunt each zone.

It’s the best.

Where you at? (Live). ?

FL :doh:

Now everybody is going to be headed here to shoot our giant deer

Im on my way. The bucks have scales right? Lmao
gjs4
500 Club

Unread postby gjs4 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:19 am

Poorly!

45-50 wmus that don’t even correspond with county lines. No deer census or herd monitoring everything is based off math of the harvest. They only admit I fly survey 4-6% of the own contrived harvest (vis college interns for the most part) who also determine age and that is then multiplied based on their stat that only 35-40% of the kill is reported. Does permit numbers are based on magic math as well. Some areas you can get 2, then 2 bonus and have up to 4 signed over to you. Some limited areas are a doe a day. Others are none.

The northern (adirondiak park), southern zone (the remainder of upstate NY) and Long Island are the three main zones. A very few areas are archery only, a few more shotgun/ml only, the remainder are rifle of any Center fire caliber (17,204,50bmg).

Southern zone season, which has over 45% of the total take the first weekend of gun has ridiculous hunter density. When you hear NY hunting states know that some areas are desolate or have no deer and or deer hunters, where as others may make Michigan look left alone. Anyway- archery goes ~oct1-nov15. Youth firearm (any gun or deer) is the three day Columbus weekend in there. Crossbow is nov 6?- gun. Regular gun goes nov 15-DEC early teens. Decteens thru early 20s is ml and second archery. One buck for archery and one for gun- but can use buck tags as either sex tags the last season. Shooting hours are actual sunrise to sunset.

Hunting access on state property varies area by area.

Mind you this is for the few that follow laws...we have horrid enforcement and compliance.

It sucks here.
Green and growing... Or red and rotting
mspaci

Unread postby mspaci » Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:35 pm

Ny can be good, used to be better. Its kind of a free for all now. I have been hunting CT & prefer it greatly. Way less pressure. Bigger bucks. Mike
jman22
500 Club

Unread postby jman22 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:58 pm

gjs4 wrote:Poorly!

45-50 wmus that don’t even correspond with county lines. No deer census or herd monitoring everything is based off math of the harvest. They only admit I fly survey 4-6% of the own contrived harvest (vis college interns for the most part) who also determine age and that is then multiplied based on their stat that only 35-40% of the kill is reported. Does permit numbers are based on magic math as well. Some areas you can get 2, then 2 bonus and have up to 4 signed over to you. Some limited areas are a doe a day. Others are none.

The northern (adirondiak park), southern zone (the remainder of upstate NY) and Long Island are the three main zones. A very few areas are archery only, a few more shotgun/ml only, the remainder are rifle of any Center fire caliber (17,204,50bmg).

Southern zone season, which has over 45% of the total take the first weekend of gun has ridiculous hunter density. When you hear NY hunting states know that some areas are desolate or have no deer and or deer hunters, where as others may make Michigan look left alone. Anyway- archery goes ~oct1-nov15. Youth firearm (any gun or deer) is the three day Columbus weekend in there. Crossbow is nov 6?- gun. Regular gun goes nov 15-DEC early teens. Decteens thru early 20s is ml and second archery. One buck for archery and one for gun- but can use buck tags as either sex tags the last season. Shooting hours are actual sunrise to sunset.

Hunting access on state property varies area by area.

Mind you this is for the few that follow laws...we have horrid enforcement and compliance.

It sucks here.

Thank you saving me all the typing! Very poorly managed state in my opinion. Yea it sucks here.
Swampbuck

Unread postby Swampbuck » Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:49 pm

It's poorly managed here in Louisiana.

6 tags - 2 bucks, 3 does and an either sex

Gun season last a few months and can use 4570 and 35 whelens for primitive.

The problem is some parts of the state have alot of deer and some very few so the blanket limits and seasons are not a good form of management. Overall 6 tags is to many. I would like them to lower it like in half
Make It Happen
moondoondude
500 Club

Unread postby moondoondude » Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:28 am

Obviously this is extremely opinionated.

Too many and too long of seasons with too high of bag limits with too many weapons permitted. Crossbows all year, blackpowder guys shooting out to 300 yards, crop damage permits completely unregulated, I could go on and on.
elk yinzer
500 Club

Unread postby elk yinzer » Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:53 am

In PA our one buck tag comes with the license. You apply for doe tags based on WMU. In general the units are a bit too large but ok. It is pretty easy to get two doe tags if you are willing to travel a bit to hunt. Urban areas are basically unlimited doe tags but the public land is horrendous. Rifle season is 2 weeks starting Monday after Thanksgiving. Great time for it because the bucks are laid up recovering from peak rut.

My two biggest gripes...archery season is only 6 weeks and goes out right in the middle of the rut for no good reason. And we can't hunt Sundays. Makes it hard to hunt weekends away from home. I anticipate both of those will change soon as more and more rifle only hunters die off each year.
Treasurer, United Bowhunters of PA
https://ubofpa.org/membership-3
Josh_S
500 Club

Unread postby Josh_S » Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:14 am

elk yinzer wrote:In PA our one buck tag comes with the license. You apply for doe tags based on WMU. In general the units are a bit too large but ok. It is pretty easy to get two doe tags if you are willing to travel a bit to hunt. Urban areas are basically unlimited doe tags but the public land is horrendous. Rifle season is 2 weeks starting Monday after Thanksgiving. Great time for it because the bucks are laid up recovering from peak rut.

My two biggest gripes...archery season is only 6 weeks and goes out right in the middle of the rut for no good reason. And we can't hunt Sundays. Makes it hard to hunt weekends away from home. I anticipate both of those will change soon as more and more rifle only hunters die off each year.

Couldn't have said it better myself about the brief 6 week early archery and Sunday hunting...I hope you are right about future changes. Without taking days off to hunt, the average joe in PA who works daylight during the week can only bow hunt 7 Saturdays. For this reason, a lot of PA hunters can't be very selective because of lack of opportunity. I believe PA could sell a lot more licenses by making the changes mentioned, both resident and non-resident. I'll also add we do have a late archery/flintlock season after Christmas lasting until early Feb. And the fact we have a concurrent antlerless muzzleloader/youth rifle/senior rifle in mid October...the pressure obviously picks up and bedding areas we were patiently waiting for that perfect wind to hunt gets trampled by drives. But hey it is what it is, the deer adapt and so do we.
elk yinzer
500 Club

Unread postby elk yinzer » Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:30 am

Right on Josh. Late season is pretty much an afterthought for me. Tough time to get out and hunt with family stuff and I just lose the drive this late. I think if I had areas with agriculture it would be easier.

I have never experienced much pressure at all with the October muzzleloader season but I imagine that would be a pain in some areas. I do think muzzleloader guys are going to eventually get a crack at bucks before rifle. I just really really hope it doesn't inferfere with archery and they keep scoped inlines out.

Also of note, there has been talk just lately about some type of second buck tag. This move is pure garbage in my opinion, but I truly think it is just political posturing because the legislature is holding the game commission hostage not allowing a license increase. There are some systemic issues on the expenditure side that should be fixed, but the fact that our licenses haven't increased in 20 years is sorta ridiculous.
Treasurer, United Bowhunters of PA
https://ubofpa.org/membership-3
Jdw
500 Club

Unread postby Jdw » Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:09 am

The season structure and bags limits here are run pretty well.
I sat in on a talk that Clint McCoy, one of our biologists gave and I would say they have a good handle on things.
jwilkstn
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jason.wilkerson.71

Unread postby jwilkstn » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:08 pm

Tennessee manages for opportunity, and we have lots. This comes at the chagrin of trophy hunters, but that crowd was successful in coercing the wildlife commission to reduce the buck limit from 3 to 2 a few years ago against the recommendation of agency biologists...

We can kill 2 bucks a year total, statewide. Most of the state we can kill 3 does a day every day of the season. This is not as liberal in the mountainous counties of east Tennessee.

Archery opens late September and runs through the Saturday closest to 11/1. That weekend is reserved for juveniles only, then a 2 week muzzleloader/ archery season, then the Saturday before Thanksgiving rifle opens and stays until the second week weekend in January. They long rifle season is great for opportunity, but again, is a primary complaint of the trophy guys.
Not all those who wander are lost...
Crwilson.ar

Unread postby Crwilson.ar » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:45 am

For Arkansas:

Archery: Sept. 23-Feb. 28
Private Land Antlerless Only Modern Gun Deer Hunt: Oct. 14-18
Muzzleloader: Oct. 21-29 and Dec. 9-11
Special Youth Modern Gun Deer Hunt: Nov. 4-5 and Jan. 6-7
Modern Gun: Nov. 11-Dec. 3 and Dec. 26-28

You can take a total of 6 deer but only 4 in each zone. You can only take two bucks, and you can only kill 2 does with gun or muzzeleloader the rest archery. A buck has to have 3 points on one side, and if you hunt in the CWD zone there is no antler restriction When you buy your hunting license it comes with all 6 tags as well as turkey tags. The license is $25. There is a $40 lease fee to hunt some of the WMA's some are free.
RuralTom

Unread postby RuralTom » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:02 am

elk yinzer wrote:Right on Josh. Late season is pretty much an afterthought for me. Tough time to get out and hunt with family stuff and I just lose the drive this late. I think if I had areas with agriculture it would be easier.

I have never experienced much pressure at all with the October muzzleloader season but I imagine that would be a pain in some areas. I do think muzzleloader guys are going to eventually get a crack at bucks before rifle. I just really really hope it doesn't inferfere with archery and they keep scoped inlines out.

Also of note, there has been talk just lately about some type of second buck tag. This move is pure garbage in my opinion, but I truly think it is just political posturing because the legislature is holding the game commission hostage not allowing a license increase. There are some systemic issues on the expenditure side that should be fixed, but the fact that our licenses haven't increased in 20 years is sorta ridiculous.

First season here, started with rifle now hunting with a flintlock. I would very much love to see Sunday opened up for hunting, it's often the only day I have off.

9 total weeks of archery seems pretty good to me!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”