A Christmas Morning Buck Story

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Hatchetman

A Christmas Morning Buck Story

Unread postby Hatchetman » Tue Dec 26, 2017 4:50 am

This story is from years past but stands out as one of the coolest stories in our hunting family...

It was 5:00 am Christmas morning 2005 and I awoke to such a clatter down in the kitchen. :?
I go down to see what's going on, and to my surprise there is my then 15 yo son, Max, pouring himself a bowl of cereal at the kitchen table.

I'm thinking to myself... a little old to be "That" excited about opening presents?
"Merry Christmas Max" " You're up early" I say.
He turns to me with a look of conviction on his face,
"Dad, I had a dream last night... A dream, I was going to shoot a big buck this morning... A dream, I was going to shoot a big buck up on the ridge in the"high stand"...
"Well, that's a of a good dream " I say!
I hang around with him till he finishes his cereal and gets his gear on and heads out into the darkness.
It was a really nice morning , about 30 deg. with no wind.

So the story, according to Max, goes like this...

It was about 7:30, a half hr. after daylight, when a group of deer appear on neighbor's property up on a high knoll in the hardwoods. It looked to be a mix of 4 does and fawns, a small buck, and a good shooter buck. They milled around up on that knob for quite a while until it appeared they where going to be making their way over the backside of the hill (they were about 125yds away).
Max, realizing he had to do something, decided to give them a can call.
Being dead quiet, all the deer heard the single call. They stood and starred in his direction until eventually the small buck made a couple yard advance towards him. As a couple minutes passed , the small buck started to move parallel to him so he made another call. The small buck jerked his head up and came running down the hill and right on past Max's stand only to stop about 40yds. behind him in some thicker stuff before he started milling around. The big buck looked on intently while it stood with the rest of the does and fawns.
Curiosity killed the beast, cause it just couldn't take it any longer so down the hill on the same path as the small buck, came the big buck. Fortunately, the big buck broke his run to a walk before Max's stand where a quiet mouth grunt stopped him at about 15yds. where Max stuffed him.
I couldn't be more proud of him then, and still am today!

I'm thinking Max is telling his little brother here " Pay attention Alex, this is how you get it done"!

Merry Christmas everyone!

wolverinebuckman
500 Club

Re: A Christmas Morning Buck Story

Unread postby wolverinebuckman » Tue Dec 26, 2017 4:56 am

:dance: awesome Christmas story!
Great deer. I better pay attention next dream!
Bummer of a birthmark, Hal.
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:20 am

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Great Christmas Story, Great buck. Thanks for sharing.
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
SamPotter
500 Club

Unread postby SamPotter » Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:27 am

That's my kind of Christmas story!
JAK
500 Club

Unread postby JAK » Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:43 am

Great buck and awesome way to spend a Christmas morning with family
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:50 am

Wish I had dreams like that. Mine usually end up not getting a shot and waking up a little angry!!!! :lol: 8-) 8-) 8-) :clap: :clap:
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
Hatchetman

Unread postby Hatchetman » Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:24 am

Yea, he definitely is a goofey kid.
This is the only time he's had a real night dream per se like that but he has had multiple premonitions in later years that have ended up with a good buck on the ground that day.
Strange for sure...

I keep wanting him to help me out with some Scott Trade picks but he says "Dad, I got noth'n for ya, Bucks only"
DANG... :think:
JAK
500 Club

Unread postby JAK » Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:00 am

stash59 wrote:Wish I had dreams like that. Mine usually end up not getting a shot and waking up a little angry!!!! :lol: 8-) 8-) 8-) :clap: :clap:

:lol: mine I usually kill them then when I wake up and go check the garage that's when the disappointment sets in
WISCOANDY

Unread postby WISCOANDY » Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:14 am

These kinds of stories are the best. Thank you for sharing. Not sure if he was hunting no matter if he had the dream or not, but kudos for being out there either way. I've never hunted because I always had other commitments, but really look forward to the day when my son is old enough and a Christmas hunt can be our "tradition".
Whitetailaddict
500 Club

Unread postby Whitetailaddict » Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:35 pm

Sounds like a great Christmas gift! Did you put a bow on it for him? I don't think I would even get the option of hunting on Christmas.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:10 pm

Great story. I enjoyed it!
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:01 pm

Great story! I once had a dream I drank the worlds largest margarita, when I woke up there was salt around the rim of the toilet :?
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Hatchetman

Unread postby Hatchetman » Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:39 am

WISCOANDY wrote:These kinds of stories are the best. Thank you for sharing. Not sure if he was hunting no matter if he had the dream or not, but kudos for being out there either way. I've never hunted because I always had other commitments, but really look forward to the day when my son is old enough and a Christmas hunt can be our "tradition".

He never said a thing about hunting on Christmas eve and usually we talk all the time about hunting plans..

He never really ever talked about the details of his dream which leads me to believe it was more of a short intervention from the Man upstairs.
More like a...
"HEY... GET YOUR BUNS OUTTA BED AND GET UP ON THAT RIDGE... YOU ARE GOING TO BE BLESSED THIS MORNING!
I don't know, whatever it was I'm very happy it worked out for him the way it did.

I have hunting dreams all the time.. they usually start out somewhat normal but end up getting dumber and dumber as they go on.
P&YBuck1
500 Club

Unread postby P&YBuck1 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:35 am

Great story, thanks for sharing!!
northeast beast

Unread postby northeast beast » Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:26 am

Great story thanks for sharing...congrats max what a great buck...max reminds me of me when I was 15.. open presents or sit in the stand a few hours...? No brainer for me either lol

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”