Whitetail adrenaline decoy/make my own?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Lockdown

Whitetail adrenaline decoy/make my own?

Unread postby Lockdown » Mon Dec 25, 2017 3:12 pm

I know Jared did his own taxidermy on it, but does anyone know the brand of decoy that he used? I thought it was a “heads up” brand but googling produced a different deke.

I’m going to move in on deer or just use it for cover like he does. With all this open country I hunt it’s the only logical option for bowhunting. The thought occurred to me that I could just make a cutout and do my own taxidermy rather than buy a deke just to cover it up, but I’m not sure what material would work best. Obviously it has to be light yet rigid.

Anyone have any ideas or know the brand of the deke from Jared’s videos?

Wannabelikedan
500 Club

Re: Whitetail adrenaline decoy/make my own?

Unread postby Wannabelikedan » Mon Dec 25, 2017 3:37 pm

I’ve searched many times and still never found that exact decoy silhouette. I figure one could pick an actual buck image and have it photo printed lifesize (make a mirror copy also). Adhere them to some sturdy, lightweight backer and do what taxidermy detail you wanted to it. That 3D look and lifelike appearance from the taxidermy is just money on rut crazed bucks. I figure a couple sheets of plastic cardboard put together would keep it light, sturdy and weatherproof. Been wanting to experiment making one but haven’t yet.
Teaching is only demonstrating that it is possible.... Learning is making it possible for yourself.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Mon Dec 25, 2017 4:06 pm

Get ya one of those life size fat heads
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
CJM

Unread postby CJM » Mon Dec 25, 2017 5:44 pm

It's a full custom deal, Shay had an image he found on Google printed onto a cut out of corrugated plastic, kinda like a yard sign material or similar to a goose silhouette material.

They also declined my offer to pay them to make me one.
Bowhuntercoop
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhuntercoop » Mon Dec 25, 2017 10:50 pm

As mentioned before it 100 percent custom. I txted Jared and told him I know of a bunch of a guys that would buy them. He said no thanks haha. I think one could be made relatively easy though.
EdC

Unread postby EdC » Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:33 pm

Quick questions

whitetail adrenaline are they mid west hunts? did they do any north east hunts? and which videos would they be?
as much excitement as the trailers show it appears you need fairly large numbers of deer to pull off their types of hunts
Everyone Gets Close - Few Finish The Job
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:52 am

EdC wrote:Quick questions

whitetail adrenaline are they mid west hunts? did they do any north east hunts? and which videos would they be?
as much excitement as the trailers show it appears you need fairly large numbers of deer to pull off their types of hunts

Midwest for whitetails. They’ll do some elk hunts too
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:00 am

EdC wrote:Quick questions

They drive the wide open spaces of Kansas till they find a mature buck then they move in on him with the the decoy. It’s amazing to watch. They also still hunt and spot and stalk other states. They hunt the same ground everyone else does.

Thanks for the input guys. I’m gonna make one for sure and I’ll have some fun with it next season 8-)
EdC

Unread postby EdC » Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:07 am

thanks I thought so
in the North East I just don't see enough deer to hunt their style

I do stalk once in a while and I am always walking up on deer but just can't seem to make a kill

last season I walked up on a 10 point buck and doe close enough I could of touched both of them
they were both on the other side of a tree I stopped at, once I stepped out from the tree they both ran off rightly so
the buck and I both looked at each other eye to eye at arms length from each other I don't know who was more startled
me or the buck, I had never walked up on a buck this close before, I must be doing something right if I can get up that close
just wish I knew what I did right that time

thanks for the reply
Ed
Everyone Gets Close - Few Finish The Job
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:42 am

I may try some still hunts with the bow this year. It’s crazy the deer they get on from the ground. Even in Wisconsin
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:43 am

EdC I have hunted the way they do all the way in south FL. It works anywhere just may need to tweak it a little for the particular terrain.

The part of KS they normally hunt is low deer density, they put on a Ton of miles to lay eyes on a shooter then they shadow him until they can make a play.

They do hunt some great areas in IA with lots of deer as well tho.

But these guys know how to get on bucks in every kind of terrain. These are not instructional videos but if you read between the lines there is a lot to be gleaned and you can tell that Jared is one of the premier public land whitetail hunters on earth.

As for the decoy just get some currogated plastic cut it in the shape of a silouhette and put a cape over it. It doesn’t need to be petty. I been meaning to make one for the last few years.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:16 am

PK_ wrote:EdC I have hunted the way they do all the way in south FL. It works anywhere just may need to tweak it a little for the particular terrain.

The part of KS they normally hunt is low deer density, they put on a Ton of miles to lay eyes on a shooter then they shadow him until they can make a play.

But these guys know how to get on bucks in every kind of terrain. These are not instructional videos but if you read between the lines there is a lot to be gleaned and you can tell that Jared is one of the premier public land whitetail hunters on earth.

As for the decoy just get some currogated plastic cut it in the shape of a silouhette and put a cape over it. It doesn’t need to be petty. I been meaning to make one for the last few years.

They kick plenty of deer around in KS when they do gun drives. Idk about those areas being low density.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Tue Dec 26, 2017 4:57 am

matt1336 wrote:
PK_ wrote:EdC I have hunted the way they do all the way in south FL. It works anywhere just may need to tweak it a little for the particular terrain.

They kick plenty of deer around in KS when they do gun drives. Idk about those areas being low density.

They hunt different areas during gun/bow.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Bowhuntercoop
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhuntercoop » Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:05 am

Stay tuned! They will be coming to the northeast to hunt pa with me next year. My best friend is their camera man. We scout and hunt together when he’s back in pa and not filming. As long as things go as planned they will be coming to experience the big woods of pa public next fall.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”