Knobs/benches between drainages????

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

SEMObowhunter

Re: Knobs/benches between drainages????

Unread postby SEMObowhunter » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:44 pm

I hunt these a lot during the rut, especially the head of the drainage where a point splits before dropping into the bottom like on the map. If I suspect Bucks bed on the points I will pick a wind that broadcasts me out over the drainage and with the thermals I have good success with not getting busted. This wind could also be an off wind for the two points the drainage is separating.

Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:55 pm

I would look right where the steep drainage connects to the main ridge.

I like the yellow circle of the e of ridge. For a overlooked spot that is where I would look.

The blue circles I would think would attract other hunter pressure. Most people know to look for side hill benches. If pressure is very low I would check them out.

The red x would have hunters also.

Most of my areas the saddles and side hill benches are full of hunters.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
Wolfofmibu

Unread postby Wolfofmibu » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:14 pm

Boogieman1 wrote:Those are my absolute fav set ups during the rut! I like to set up in the “Y” formed by drainages, enter and exit with a tube through the creek. See a lot of cruisers mostly 2 and 3s but my thought is there are way more 2 and 3s then 4 and 5s so seeing more should be expected. The ease of entrance/exit lets u get in without causing any disturbances and I often hunt them repeatedly waiting one out when conditions are right.

So access would be from below through the drainage ?
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:26 am

Wolfofmibu wrote:
Boogieman1 wrote:Those are my absolute fav set ups during the rut! I like to set up in the “Y” formed by drainages, enter and exit with a tube through the creek. See a lot of cruisers mostly 2 and 3s but my thought is there are way more 2 and 3s then 4 and 5s so seeing more should be expected. The ease of entrance/exit lets u get in without causing any disturbances and I often hunt them repeatedly waiting one out when conditions are right.

I have had to do it both ways, due to property lines. But my fav is when there feeding high, you enter from below in the pre dawn hours on a leeward drainage. The deeper the drainage the better as far as I'm concerned. So I would start my entry in the valley bottom creek bed, then go vertical up the side hill drainage. Deer are still up top feeding my scent, both wind and thermal are all going to the same spot as my track. Which is in a restriction where deer don't go. What u have here is the perfect storm!
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
NYBackcountry
500 Club

Unread postby NYBackcountry » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:48 am

Boogieman1 wrote:
Wolfofmibu wrote:

I have had to do it both ways, due to property lines. But my fav is when there feeding high, you enter from below in the pre dawn hours on a leeward drainage. The deeper the drainage the better as far as I'm concerned. So I would start my entry in the valley bottom creek bed, then go vertical up the side hill drainage. Deer are still up top feeding my scent, both wind and thermal are all going to the same spot as my track. Which is in a restriction where deer don't go. What u have here is the perfect storm!

Boogie, where are you setting up? I'm assuming on the bench at the top of the "Y" in the drainage but would you be setting up high or low above the bench? And do you move once thermals change in the evening? I guess it's probably better to ask if this is even a spot you would do an all day sit. If the deer are feeding high, are you concerned about rising thermals once the sun comes up?

Sorry for the barrage!
Primetime41

Unread postby Primetime41 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:36 am

I've found bedding in these small areas between drainages, but I usually find the beds right up against the drainage, with the wind coming over their back at an angle towards the drainage. It's pretty bulletproof for the buck.
RidgeGhost
500 Club

Unread postby RidgeGhost » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:39 am

Tennhunter3 wrote:I would look right where the steep drainage connects to the main ridge.

I like the yellow circle of the e of ridge. For a overlooked spot that is where I would look.

The blue circles I would think would attract other hunter pressure. Most people know to look for side hill benches. If pressure is very low I would check them out.

You're probably right about those blue dots getting pressure. That's something I have a tough time judging because pressure is pretty low where I am. So places that I might be able to get away with hunting here at home, I would run into people in an out of state hunt. Something I'm still working on getting better at.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:04 am

NYBackcountry wrote:
Boogieman1 wrote:
Wolfofmibu wrote:

Boogie, where are you setting up? I'm assuming on the bench at the top of the "Y" in the drainage but would you be setting up high or low above the bench? And do you move once thermals change in the evening? I guess it's probably better to ask if this is even a spot you would do an all day sit. If the deer are feeding high, are you concerned about rising thermals once the sun comes up?

Sorry for the barrage!

I try to set up where I can shoot to each of the drainages that form the "y" not always possible but I can usually reach 2 and I blow down the least likely used drainage in the eve. On private I put up 2 stands directly across from each other and come late eve I switch to the lower one. Not concerned about the deer feeding high I'm on the leeward side and once it starts rising it won't reach them if any still in fields. I hunt above the 1/3 but still like to be low enough on ridge to prevent be skylighted. I only hunt above on sunny days on cloudy or rainy I sit the stand below. And yes these are my all day spots, atleast the very first sit. First time in I normally wait for favorable conditions.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
NYBackcountry
500 Club

Unread postby NYBackcountry » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:08 am

Boogieman1 wrote:
NYBackcountry wrote:
Boogieman1 wrote:
Wolfofmibu wrote:

Sorry for the barrage!

I try to set up where I can shoot to each of the drainages that form the "y" not always possible but I can usually reach 2 and I blow down the least likely used drainage in the eve. On private I put up 2 stands directly across from each other and come late eve I switch to the lower one. Not concerned about the deer feeding high I'm on the leeward side and once it starts rising it won't reach them if any still in fields. I hunt above the 1/3 but still like to be low enough on ridge to prevent be skylighted. I only hunt above on sunny days on cloudy or rainy I sit the stand below. And yes these are my all day spots, atleast the very first sit. First time in I normally wait for favorable conditions.

Good stuff, thanks Boogie.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:43 am

RidgeGhost wrote:
Tennhunter3 wrote:I would look right where the steep drainage connects to the main ridge.

You're probably right about those blue dots getting pressure. That's something I have a tough time judging because pressure is pretty low where I am. So places that I might be able to get away with hunting here at home, I would run into people in an out of state hunt. Something I'm still working on getting better at.

The blue is a good spot to check out no doubt not saying its a bad spot.
One of my spots in chickasaw is almost same setup always has hunter sign all over it is full of rubs and young bucks bedding the bench. The bench is just below the military crest. I'm sure if the pressures low it would have a lot more deer travel and possibly mature buck bedding.

Cleck out the drainage just east of the b in Bradford just to the left of the steepest elevation their might be a tiny hidden shelf.
Last edited by Tennhunter3 on Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:51 am

Boogies got this one down. I agree 100% on entrance. I would enter from bottom and up through the drainage most times if I could. But not all setups or land is created equal. But when given the opportunity I like entering from bottom up.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”