Knobs/benches between drainages????

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

bwwma

Knobs/benches between drainages????

Unread postby bwwma » Sun Dec 24, 2017 4:20 am

On public land the main points (where the red x's are) get most of the hunting pressure where I'm at, has anyone else seen buck sign on these small knobs or benches that form between two cuts/dainages or draws? Draws/drainage in purple, orange is the knob bench formed between the cuts.

brancher147
500 Club

Re: Knobs/benches between drainages????

Unread postby brancher147 » Sun Dec 24, 2017 5:04 am

Reminds me of a spot I hunted this year. There were scrapes on each main ridge top, and a trail connecting the two ridge tops and scrapes where your orange circle is. It was extremely steep terrain, but there was good sign. I plan to give it a sit in the future, I just passed through quickly. I did not make it up to the summit (long day, too many miles, and it was really steep) where your orange x is but I would expect that to be good also. It sets up well to hunt as a leeward ridge with rising thermals in the morning on top or where your orange circle is. If hunting pressure is down below I would bet the orange circle to be a spot worth trying.
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
bwwma

Unread postby bwwma » Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:38 am

Yes I know what you mean. This is just a random spot on a map I found, but I've noticed on the public land I hunt that if there are a couple cuts near each other on a ridge the area between them often forms a bench. From my experience most of the hunting pressure is on the points or obvious saddles, I think the bench in between two cuts might be productive if it's thick that's a bonus.
RidgeGhost
500 Club

Unread postby RidgeGhost » Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:57 am

I don't have any input really for that type of spot. But the blue and yellow circles is where I'd look, especially the blue :D
bwwma

Unread postby bwwma » Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:01 am

RidgeGhost wrote:Image

I don't have any input really for that type of spot. But the blue and yellow circles is where I'd look, especially the blue :D

This is just a random section of map from an area I don't hunt, but I like to be a sponge and soak up as much knowledge as I can, what would be your reasoning for those spots? And what would make the blue better?
TNstalker

Unread postby TNstalker » Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:14 am

I think it could work there depending on ur wind I like the spot to the right of the circle better. I have found them on knobs in more of a horse shoe style ridge above cuts with a small knob there.
RidgeGhost
500 Club

Unread postby RidgeGhost » Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:18 am

They seem to like the skinnier, steeper points. I think they feel like with a skinnier point they have a better chance at smelling any predator that would come down the point. With a wider point, there are more opportunities for a predator to skirt one edge or the other, on a just off wind.

I like those blue dots because they are harder to get to. And I seem to find beds above or below an isolated bench like that. Should be a major scrape line along those benches.
bwwma

Unread postby bwwma » Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:11 pm

The red x's are just where I figured hunter traffic/ pressure would typically be. I can see how more narrow points would make deer feel more comfortable. Some of the benches or knobs I've found between two cuts in the ridge are so subtle they don't show on a topo.
bwwma

Unread postby bwwma » Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:13 pm

Yes benches are awesome, singing bridge thread "power of a bench" is one of my favorites.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:24 pm

Those are my absolute fav set ups during the rut! I like to set up in the “Y” formed by drainages, enter and exit with a tube through the creek. See a lot of cruisers mostly 2 and 3s but my thought is there are way more 2 and 3s then 4 and 5s so seeing more should be expected. The ease of entrance/exit lets u get in without causing any disturbances and I often hunt them repeatedly waiting one out when conditions are right.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:12 pm

This is a better example of what I hunted with scrapes being the red arrows and trail with rubs in between in blue. In my case there was no actual bench, but a bench would be even better. I am sure up above on the high point or saddle would be another good spot as it is essentially 3 ridges coming together-one main ridge and two finger ridges. I do think this is a terrain feature I will look out for in the future, the trail or bench between drainages or ridges.

I think the key, as with most terrain features is proximity to bedding and wind. And in my case, there was doe bedding just off the west finger ridge, and a couple mature bucks bedding somewhere in the area. Hunt it with the right wind and I think it can be very productive.
bwwma

Unread postby bwwma » Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:40 pm

I'm starting to key in on those spots. Yes 100% not all topo features are created equal! I learned that the hard way. I started off circling every saddle, bench, hub.... now I look for terrain features that also have edge transition.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:34 pm

what you circled in orange I would expect to be rut travel corridor.

The southernmost yellow circle that ridgeghost posted is likely prime bedding along with the knobs around the top of the main drainage just to the North of the ‘R’ in the word “RIDGE”.

But that is just guessing without knowing what the cover, pressure or prevailing winds are...
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:00 pm

bwwma wrote:I'm starting to key in on those spots. Yes 100% not all topo features are created equal! I learned that the hard way. I started off circling every saddle, bench, hub.... now I look for terrain features that also have edge transition.

Good point. In my example there was also edge transition. Above the trail was thick mountain laurel, below the trail was open hardwoods. The trail was on the edge. It definitely takes more than a good topo feature on a map to make a good spot.
bwwma

Unread postby bwwma » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:39 am

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”