Visual to the new W2H

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

tbunao
500 Club

Visual to the new W2H

Unread postby tbunao » Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:05 am

Here is an article with map and plot points of the buck they talked about in #194

http://ecosystems.psu.edu/research/proj ... or-3-years

tgreeno
500 Club

Re: Visual to the new W2H

Unread postby tgreeno » Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:11 am

Interesting! I'll have to study this after season, when I have more time.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:44 am

8-)
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
pewpewpew

Unread postby pewpewpew » Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:49 am

I’m confused on the scale of the map. Is the entire box one mile, or the length of the line? I believe in the podcast he referenced the home range being roughly one square mile.

For me the age old question is “how steep is too steep?” You can really beat yourself up getting into steep rugged terrain. It can really make you question yourself, especially if you aren’t seeing deer.
tbunao
500 Club

Unread postby tbunao » Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:40 am

pewpewpew wrote:I’m confused on the scale of the map. Is the entire box one mile, or the length of the line? I believe in the podcast he referenced the home range being roughly one square mile.

For me the age old question is “how steep is too steep?” You can really beat yourself up getting into steep rugged terrain. It can really make you question yourself, especially if you aren’t seeing deer.

I’m not sure as to the scale but if you look at the terrain features he doesn’t go far, just a ridge over
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:45 am

Very interesting. I too am confused on the scale. I am guessing the length of the line is the given length stated, meaning he moved a few miles sometimes. 3 miles in a day is pretty normal for a buck during the rut from what I have seen. He didn't make any big moves until Nov.9 and looks like he almost always avoided the big obvious saddles when crossing ridges. The bedding in steep areas does not surprise me as that is what I normally see-they will usually bed on a small flat spot created from a large tree that uprooted long ago and has decayed and left a perfect flat bench just big enough for a deer.
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:50 am

pewpewpew wrote:I’m confused on the scale of the map. Is the entire box one mile, or the length of the line? I believe in the podcast he referenced the home range being roughly one square mile.

It is the length of the line. You can see when he was locked down with a doe. Then when he would go searching again. Two military crests he liked. Nov 4 he moved a lot in daylight. For the most part I’d say he was pretty nocturnal
pewpewpew

Unread postby pewpewpew » Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:21 am

brancher147 wrote:Very interesting. I too am confused on the scale. I am guessing the length of the line is the given length stated, meaning he moved a few miles sometimes. 3 miles in a day is pretty normal for a buck during the rut from what I have seen. He didn't make any big moves until Nov.9 and looks like he almost always avoided the big obvious saddles when crossing ridges. The bedding in steep areas does not surprise me as that is what I normally see-they will usually bed on a small flat spot created from a large tree that uprooted long ago and has decayed and left a perfect flat bench just big enough for a deer.

I know exactly what sort of bed you are talking about. That is really challenging terrain to hunt. Hence why the buck remained there.

45% grades filled with downfalls, rhododendron and boulders, for hundreds of yards in elevation. There are so many hiding spots. Plus being 20 foot in a tree in that steep of terrain really messes with your shot angles and line of sight. Hats off to any man that can get it done with a bow in that environment.
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:29 am

Pretty cool. I always like these studies.
pewpewpew

Unread postby pewpewpew » Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:36 am

I found this map on caltopo. There is definitely some elevation change, but it’s not that steep. According to caltopo, the “steep” bedding areas he was at were about 25-35 degree slope.
Bedbug

Unread postby Bedbug » Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:14 am

Way cool. Would be interesting to compare to historical wind data
tbunao
500 Club

Unread postby tbunao » Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:38 am

Bedbug wrote:Way cool. Would be interesting to compare to historical wind data

I was thinking the same
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:16 pm

tbunao wrote:
Bedbug wrote:Way cool. Would be interesting to compare to historical wind data

I was thinking the same

Yep. I would like to see that too.

I also found the area pretty quickly on my scout look app. Cool to line up the satellite pics. You can get a good look at his bedding habits by watching the time line. It would be cool to line that up with wind. It does look like he locked up with a doe down in the southern area for a bit. Lots of cruising from North to South. That is where having wind data would be cool to. Is he moving to counter wind when looking for does?

Seems to have a core area right on that flat in the middle of his range.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”