Another Late Season/Morning Question

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Emrah

Another Late Season/Morning Question

Unread postby Emrah » Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:29 am

So I got the ok to hunt this Fri, Sat, and Sun morning. Afternoons are not an option unfortunately. I know afternoons are more productive late season, I'm gonna make the most of it.

Questions:

1. I'm going in blind to new areas. Should I still lug around my stand or try and be mobile on the ground? Treat it like a scouting/bow hiking trip?

2. Temps will be low to mid teens. Think deer are apt to move mid-morning? Should I sit till lunch?

Thanks,

Emrah

P.S. No there is no particular food source that's any better than another relative to bedding .

Hawthorne
500 Club

Re: Another Late Season/Morning Question

Unread postby Hawthorne » Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:12 am

Take the stand. Mornings I would hunt right in the bedding. Scout on your way out for the next day.
checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:19 pm

I’ve hunted ground 90% of the time this year and have seen plenty of deer. I say leave the stand unless there’s reason to need it like hunting a clear cut or something. I shot my buck last week at 15 yards on the ground and seen some other deer that were closer. Seems like when I’m on the ground I actually get busted less with scent. Still gotta be still tho
Emrah

Unread postby Emrah » Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:19 pm

I'm thinking of freewheeling it on the ground tomorrow so I can move and scout. I can always bring a stand later

Emrah
North

Unread postby North » Sat Dec 23, 2017 5:17 am

My strategy at this point is mostly ground hunting. I have a small folding chair strapped to my pack so I can sit in certain areas if I would want to. I've put a lot of miles on in the last few hunts.
Ragingun

Unread postby Ragingun » Sat Dec 23, 2017 5:42 am

IMO taking the stand has no negative benefit. Better to have it with you and not need than visa versa. If you don't need it then set it on the ground next to you. Only downside I can identify is maybe you simply don't wanna carry it on your back?
Dogs have many friends because they wag their tails, not their tongues.
Emrah

Unread postby Emrah » Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:00 am

Exactly. I absolutely hate lugging that thing around. Not to mention all the paraphernalia that comes with it.

Had a great morning. Went in blind and still hunted/scouted about 4 miles. Found a couple spots I want to sit it. Thank god I didn't lug that stand around. Very few places to hang one. Marshy area with very tightly packed scraggly oaks. No shooting lanes whatsoever.

Emrah
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:06 am

Emrah wrote:
P.S. No there is no particular food source that's any better than another relative to bedding .

I would re-think that statement.....
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:37 am

Southern Man wrote:
Emrah wrote:

I would re-think that statement.....

Yup...
Emrah

Unread postby Emrah » Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:02 am

Ok then I need a bit of help. I hunt in terrain pretty much like most here do. Wooded oak strips that blend into cattail marsh that turns into swamp or lake. I see where they go to bed and have even used "advanced beastery" to locate buck beds in lone oak islands and high points. But I've never been able to figure out food.

There is no ag to speak of nearby. I've always thought they have plenty of food nearby. Acorns, grasses, even seen the tips of red brush nibbled and browsed. Seems like they can stand up, walk 10 paces and eat.

My biggest problem late season has been cover. It's -10 this week and tree stands are out of the question for me. Yes I know that severely limits me. Ground blind would be picked out in no time. I'm trying to get close to the oak/marsh interface as best I can in a natural ground blind. I'd just like to better predict their mid or late day movements. Do they stay deep and eat their? How far do they move? Etc. Still trying to complete the picture.

Emrah
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:11 am

Whatever food they are preferring right now they will find and camp out at the nearest good bedding cover. Only good scouting and past reference will answer that for you. In the marshes by me it usually means scout until I find sign and then hunt it... If you know the area well sometimes you can look for tracks coming in and out driving around the property or walking a hiking trail and take an educated guess. If you scout real close to bedding, or where they move in daylight then leave and come back a different day to hunt expect them to get nocturnal or move.
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:28 am

Emrah wrote:There is no ag to speak of nearby. I've always thought they have plenty of food nearby. Acorns, grasses, even seen the tips of red brush nibbled and browsed. Seems like they can stand up, walk 10 paces and eat.

Still trying to complete the picture.

Deer feeding in ag foods is easy to see and figure out. Some think it's pretty obvious, but actually deer eat more than corn or soybeans even when it's readily available. When the ag foods are not around deer still eat. Finding those "not so obvious" foods can be the hard part. I don't know where you are from but I assume up north if you're talking about cattail marshes. But find the local foods deer like in your area and search for them. Learn to identify those plants and look for feeding sign around them. Yea the big picture is important to me.

One of the best things about bed hunting for me was watching what deer do and eat when they rise from their beds. I've never seen deer rise from a bedding area and make a bee line for the corn field. They have always taken their time and nibbled around for a while. That opened my eyes to secondary foods and the things they eat when there is no corn or soybeans.
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”