Need beast advise...

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Jdaukontas

Need beast advise...

Unread postby Jdaukontas » Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:11 pm

Since I was 11, every fall of my life has revolved around playing or coaching football. I currently play a huge role in our local football program, a role that I obtained shortly after playing for the very school I now coach. More than half of my life has been devoted to football, but the problem I now face, is I am not sure I truly love it anymore. Since starting to hunt, I have become in love with it and have found myself more and more into hunting than football. Honestly at times I feel like football gets in the way of my hunting. I am surely at a crossroad in my life and need advise.

With hunting, it is what I love to do and all I think about. I have never enjoyed a fall with my family because everyday is devoted to football. I don't know what it is like spending the day at an apple orchard, or taking a hike with my kids. I devote very little time to hunting up until Nov. 3rd ish, mainly from lack of time and guilt of being away when I spend so much time coaching, however I get paid zero for hunting.

The coaching aspect of my life brings another $2600 or so into my family's income. On top of that, I feel like a lot of people depend on me and would be devastated if I finish. I do enjoy football but feel I am at a new venture in my life and want to pursue it before I get too old to accomplish my whitetail goals but how do I do it?

So I ask all of you, who also have struggles with time and what you love, hunting/family/hobbies...what should I do?

I want to pursue something in my life but feel very selfish in doing so. Is it worth giving up the income and letting down all who have counted on me to coach, or do I continue to sacrafice for others, but feel somewhat empty...advise desperately needed!?

Matt6506

Re: Need beast advise...

Unread postby Matt6506 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:33 pm

I think you answered your own question in your post. If hunting allows you to spend more time with your family I would choose it over football. It sounds like your already leaning that direction. Coming from someone who played 10 years of football your competitive instinct will make you a better hunter. If your heart isn't truly devoted to football and coaching I don't think you will perform the best you can. It sounds like your ready to begin a new chapter, best of luck.
“Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person.”
- Fred Bear
DaHunter

Unread postby DaHunter » Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:36 pm

I think you know what you should do. Just my opinion, but family comes first. You will regret the missed time with your kids....the apple orchards, corn maze, pumpkin picking, hikes in the woods. Don't let it pass you by! No idea on your financial position but money is just money. It comes and goes. I purposely hold off hunting early season days just because I know during late Oct and Nov, I won't be around my wife/kids much for a few weeks.

It may not be the same but the school will find another coach and people will understand your desire to spend time with your family and some time for yourself (hunting). Especially after you've dedicated so many years to football. Do what makes you and your family happy. Others will do the same, so while it's great that you have given so much time to others, you deserve to be happy, and I'm sure most people will understand that.

Good luck!
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:45 pm

You gotta do what makes you happy. Sounds like hunting is in your heart right now so you have to follow that feeling.

Sometimes we spend too much of our lives doing things for other people and in the process never take the time to enjoy our own lives. Life goes by way too fast so we have to enjoy the ride while we still can. Everybody always says they are going to do certain things when they retire and then that day comes and their health is bad or they just physically cannot do the things they want to anymore. Sadly some never even make it that far. Don’t be one of those people. Enjoy life now on your own terms.
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:57 pm

Try cutting down your workload. If you are the head coach, try being a smaller assistant, or a mentor to a replacement coach.

Cold turkey isn’t ever easy. Easing into it might take an extra year or two, but might be a lot easier.
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:11 pm

U gotta do what makes u happy or you are destined to be miserable. Explain to your loved ones how u feel and let them know what your goals/dreams are. Football is tough on hunting due to it falling in the same time slot and eating up all your free time. Consider coaching baseball :lol: My own opinion is u won't ever have enough money, or a big enough house so why even try. Memories and experiences u can't put a price on, being able to have the time to do what makes me happy is what I chose. I took a BS job that has zero stress and allows me time to chase what makes me happy. Not saying that route is for everyone but I sleep well and enjoy life.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:57 pm

What I would do does not matter... Follow your heart. Money and success mean little in life. Happiness is want matters. Football would go on without you, someone would fill you shoes. I could easily be running a machine shop and be a lot more successful than I am... But, you only get 1 chance to live life. Choose wisely.
oneflag

Unread postby oneflag » Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:15 am

I’ve worked available overtime in machine shops and factories for 30 years so my wife could stay home with the kids. I love hunting, fishing, riding motorcycles. I now have two grandchildren. I ask myself lately where the last 20 years have gone. I see folks my age and younger passing away.
I have been thinking lately that I need a change.
To balance my time I personally plan to work less and the motorcycle days are over. Hopefully I can spend time in the future outdoors hunting and fishing with the grand-kids.

Count your blessings, pray about everything.
Net Guy
500 Club

Unread postby Net Guy » Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:45 am

You can't put a price tag on family time, especially if you haven't had the time to fully enjoy it up to this point. As Dan mentioned, someone else will take your spot coaching. Hunting may give you another opportunity to spend time with your family as well. I'm sure it's a very tough decision, but either way, do what you feel will make you and your family the happiest.
hambone
500 Club

Unread postby hambone » Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:10 am

Life is too short to be unhappy. Follow your heart. GODSPEED!
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:21 am

It sounds like you're ready for a new chapter in your life. Spending more time with your family & hunting, sounds like a great way to go. The older I get, the more I focus on the thing I really want to be doing in my life! Each person has to decide what those thing are.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Wlog
500 Club

Unread postby Wlog » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:36 am

Follow your heart. Talk to your family and get their perspective as well. Pray about it. You can never get back the time spent away from your family. Is stepping down to a smaller role but still being involved with the team a viable option? If so that might be a good happy medium to start with.
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
wolverinebuckman
500 Club

Unread postby wolverinebuckman » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:39 am

Ecclesiastes 8:15 NIV

So I commend the enjoyment of life, because there is nothing better for a person under the sun than to eat and drink and be glad. Then joy will accompany them in their toil all the days of the life God has given them under the sun.
------
I would recommend if your not experiencing joy and gladness you take the route that will take you there. I left a high paying job a 45 minute drive away 4 years ago, and started my own handyman business. We have learned to live on less, budget Dave Ramsey style, eliminate all debt outside of the house. I have had various part time jobs. I am enjoying being with my family, working jobs close to home, and hunting virtually whenever I want.
And as others have wisely pointed out pray , pray for wisdom, guidance, and provision. Good luck and God bless!
Bummer of a birthmark, Hal.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:47 am

Life is short.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Redman232

Unread postby Redman232 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:36 pm

I played football for 16 years. Dabbled in coaching after that. I hunted every chance I could in college and fell in love with it and out of love with football. Basically any job will pay better than a high school coaching position once you figure in the hours invested. You want to coach any kids you have or may have in the future. Take some me time while you can.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”