Transitional exits and thermal alignment

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

oldrank

Transitional exits and thermal alignment

Unread postby oldrank » Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:24 am

Is anyone noticing when hunting a trail exiting the bedding and transition that a bucks trail is usually aligned with the dropping thermal stream?

I know we have discussed entering open fields in the lowest areas. I am believing bucks have aligned bedding exits to work for them the same way. Thoughts?

headgear
500 Club

Re: Transitional exits and thermal alignment

Unread postby headgear » Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:45 am

I've been touting this for years, many of my swamp beds are near hills or valleys with dropping thermals, I think in one thread many years ago I mistakenly called it a low land thermal tunnel which it isn't. They like to smell what is in front of them when they get out of bed at night that is for sure. You also have many situations where these topo features create swirling winds that make them even more difficult to hunt. I have a few spots where as I am heading to the bed the wind hit me in the back as it swirls, if you keep pushing you get past this but it is always a little nerve wracking to have your scent head towards bedding even if you know it will swirl in due time. It's to the point now where I seek these places out first because they seem to be a very consistent pattern of bedding, of course it needs to be a solid bedding area anyway but I think those thermals really draw them in.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:51 am

Found one of my old threads, wow way back in 2011.
http://www.thehuntingbeast.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7250
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:12 am

Good read headgear. It sound very similar to what I am seeing. I don't have huge marshes where I hunt but lots of small potholes. If I try and set right on the exit off the trail the thermals will literally pull right down the trail.

The terrain also sounds similar. Lots of rolling his. The exit trails usually come out into a small valley or depression before hitting a ride or vegetation transition. Almost the perfect exit spot every time.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”