Some perspective please

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Ragingun

Some perspective please

Unread postby Ragingun » Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:14 pm

Hey guys. Been a tough year. I've had a couple "target" bucks and it's been hard to get out and hunt them. I suppose in a sense it's been good since my aerial scouting skills have successfully put me on buck beds nearly every time. So here's the deal.....

Some of you may have read a story about a bruiser (one of the target bucks) I had an encounter with earlier this year. After aerial scouting the area I knew him to be in I walked a mile back near a place I figured he'd be. As I neared the end of my walk along a 500 yard 5 story high ridge, he came barreling at me head down figuring I was a doe or a young buck to chase out. I had the stand on my back and arrows in the quiver. He popped up over the ridge when I saw him and ended up stopping 10 yards away. I tossed my stand on the ground, fumbled through my jacket for my release (Oh crap! Which pocket was it??? Not that one! The other front pocket!!!) finally found it, nocked the arrow and stood up when of course he finally figured out what I was and took off. Amazing, magnificent mature animal he was in his prime. I figured him to be 5&1/2 years old and in full rut mode, huge and full of muscle. A half hour later, as my friend was positioned 1/2 mile north of me listening to 2 bucks fight he made his way towards him and let a grunt fly to send the two fighting deer running. My friend never saw him but it was him. Hate myself for not having my release ready or taking the shot old school finger style but I thought I did the right thing at the time.

I hunted that area 3 more times and found his rut bed but never saw him again, until tonight. I didn't get back in there since a week before WI gun season. Tonight was the first time. I only cut a few fresh tracks, it seems the deer have moved out of that area to a different preferred food source now that winter has set in. Since this is the first year I'm hunting that area I am learning the local habits as I go. Well I sat and didn't see a thing. I left and on my way out I crossed tracks of a guy that was pulling a sled. I back tracked the tracks to the nearby pond of which I figure he was ice fishing since it went right out to the middle of the pond. As I turned around in the cattails I see something sticking up out of the ice, a deer skull, and as I got closer an antler. It was him, dead and rotting in the marsh. Someone must have shot him during gun season and never got him. I felt so low. Such a magnificent animal brought so low. He deserved to be a shoulder mount or running free yet to live another year, not rotting away in a swamp. I am really kicking myself for not taking a shot without my release when I had the chance. I'm not a pro but I have taken 4th place at the NFAA state shoot and I know I coulda knocked him down at 10 yards without my release. Not an easy pill to swallow.

Here's a pic of what's left. The tines and ends of the main beam are already severely worn away from sitting in the marsh much. A sad representation of he once was. His beams were so big you couldn't get your hand around them, almost can't do it now.

Dogs have many friends because they wag their tails, not their tongues.
Jonny
500 Club

Re: Some perspective please

Unread postby Jonny » Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:46 pm

I had an absolute brute of a buck run by me during gun season. Honestly it would've been in contention to be the biggest buck my family has shot in 50+ hunting seasons in the area. Never stopped for me to shoot, and I wouldn't even click the safety off as he ran by despite the crosshairs being on his vitals for a good 50-60 yards.

Am I kicking myself thinking about it? You bet. It sucks knowing what could have been. But man I would feel so low if I was the guy that shot him and never recovered him. I just never flipped on the kill switch. The other deer I shot this year, I know from the moment I saw them that I would be dragging them out that night with me. Just had that confidence in myself.

It sucks man. But you did the right thing not taking that shot. Really sucks that it had to end that way. You didn't shoot him, but there is also a reason you were the one who found him.
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Unread postby Rob loper » Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:24 pm

Tough one to get over
The good thing is if that habitat held a buck like that for that long. He most likely will have spread his genes in the area and it wont be long my friend you will be chasing another great stud
Keep hour head up keep going.
SidewayZ
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SidewayZ32

Unread postby SidewayZ » Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:43 pm

Tough way to find him, but at least he is coming home!
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
-SidewayZ-

I'm not scared to fail, I just fear regret!
cameron

Unread postby cameron » Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:49 pm

That sucks man but at least you put some info together and have something to go off of in the future. Keep at it, you'll get it done!
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:59 pm

Ragingun wrote:Hey guys. Been a tough year. I've had a couple "target" bucks and it's been hard to get out and hunt them. I suppose in a sense it's been good since my aerial scouting skills have successfully put me on buck beds nearly every time. So here's the deal.....

Some of you may have read a story about a bruiser (one of the target bucks) I had an encounter with earlier this year. After aerial scouting the area I knew him to be in I walked a mile back near a place I figured he'd be. As I neared the end of my walk along a 500 yard 5 story high ridge, he came barreling at me head down figuring I was a doe or a young buck to chase out. I had the stand on my back and arrows in the quiver. He popped up over the ridge when I saw him and ended up stopping 10 yards away. I tossed my stand on the ground, fumbled through my jacket for my release (Oh crap! Which pocket was it??? Not that one! The other front pocket!!!) finally found it, nocked the arrow and stood up when of course he finally figured out what I was and took off. Amazing, magnificent mature animal he was in his prime. I figured him to be 5&1/2 years old and in full rut mode, huge and full of muscle. A half hour later, as my friend was positioned 1/2 mile north of me listening to 2 bucks fight he made his way towards him and let a grunt fly to send the two fighting deer running. My friend never saw him but it was him. Hate myself for not having my release ready or taking the shot old school finger style but I thought I did the right thing at the time.

I hunted that area 3 more times and found his rut bed but never saw him again, until tonight. I didn't get back in there since a week before WI gun season. Tonight was the first time. I only cut a few fresh tracks, it seems the deer have moved out of that area to a different preferred food source now that winter has set in. Since this is the first year I'm hunting that area I am learning the local habits as I go. Well I sat and didn't see a thing. I left and on my way out I crossed tracks of a guy that was pulling a sled. I back tracked the tracks to the nearby pond of which I figure he was ice fishing since it went right out to the middle of the pond. As I turned around in the cattails I see something sticking up out of the ice, a deer skull, and as I got closer an antler. It was him, dead and rotting in the marsh. Someone must have shot him during gun season and never got him. I felt so low. Such a magnificent animal brought so low. He deserved to be a shoulder mount or running free yet to live another year, not rotting away in a swamp. I am really kicking myself for not taking a shot without my release when I had the chance. I'm not a pro but I have taken 4th place at the NFAA state shoot and I know I coulda knocked him down at 10 yards without my release. Not an easy pill to swallow.

Here's a pic of what's left. The tines and ends of the main beam are already severely worn away from sitting in the marsh much. A sad representation of he once was. His beams were so big you couldn't get your hand around them, almost can't do it now.

Are you sure that's the same buck you saw. It looks too clean to be from as resent as the Wi. gun season. I've found deadheads in January that had way more hair and hide on them. Than that does. More color in the rack too. If it is him it had to be before November to look like that already. JMHO

On a side note. My tab or release always goes in place before I leave the vehicle or camp. It's never worked out for me. But if your not ready you for sure can't get a shot off.
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
Bedbug

Unread postby Bedbug » Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:21 pm

I'd like to think I would have took that shot without a release.
That's just what would LIKE to think.. I know exactly what it's like when you're in a moment like that. You don't have time to evaluate full circumstance. No need to kick yourself about anything.

I have to agree with Jonny. May sounds a little Genesis but you didn't just stumble across him at random.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:43 pm

Stash could be right, that is a pretty clean skull for rifle season kill, might want to throw some cams out just to see if he still made it.

Also of note, I always have my release on when walking to stand, I've bumped too many deer at close range and could have shot many of them. As you know, lightning could strike and that buck of your dreams could show up anywhere.
Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:53 pm

Every time I walk to my tree, bow/quiver and release are in my hands. Range finder around my neck ready to go. Had several hunts end without having to set up a stand ;)
Trust the Process~~ Lost Boys Outdoors ~~

YoutTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UC7TXknGut5WfZQ6CbddgqYg
ThePreBanMan
500 Club

Unread postby ThePreBanMan » Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:05 pm

I think you made the right call on not taking the fingers shot.
SamPotter
500 Club

Unread postby SamPotter » Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:47 am

That deer head isn't from this year. You wouldn't have it in the cab of your truck if it was- it would smell too bad. The good news is that the buck you had the encounter with may still be alive.
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:04 am

Yeah, no way that is a skull from this year I don't think. Was the rest of the carcass and bones with it? Looks like it's been chewed on by squirrels/mice also in years past.

You made the right decision not to shoot at 10 yards. I have encounters like that every year. Just have to try to learn from it and move on. It's just a deer, there are plenty more out there.
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
Ragingun

Unread postby Ragingun » Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:08 am

brancher147 wrote:Yeah, no way that is a skull from this year I don't think. Was the rest of the carcass and bones with it? Looks like it's been chewed on by squirrels/mice also in years past.

You made the right decision not to shoot at 10 yards. I have encounters like that every year. Just have to try to learn from it and move on. It's just a deer, there are plenty more out there.

Looking at the calendar I saw him on Nov. 4th. I took it to the taxidermy last night and got his opinion on this. He had said that it's very possible it's this year due to the fact that it was in acidic water as well as it wasn't frozen until at most 2 weeks ago. The ribs were sticking through the ice as well. There is still hair on the skull around the base of the antlers, quite a bit on on the back of one side as well as flesh on the underside of the skull. He said that most guys that find skulls throughout the winter find them in fairly good condition since below freezing temps keep the mites and critters away. There are no chew marks anywhere on the rack and where it was located a squirrel would have to swim. One of the G2's is black from being physically stuck in the muck.

From the few times I saw him I'm 99% sure it's him or it's his twin which is possible I suppose.
Last edited by Ragingun on Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:11 am

Sounds like it is this year then...I am not familiar with skulls in swamps/very acidic water. And if the carcass/bones were there, then that would confirm it for me.
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
Ragingun

Unread postby Ragingun » Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:16 am

SamPotter wrote:That deer head isn't from this year. You wouldn't have it in the cab of your truck if it was- it would smell too bad. The good news is that the buck you had the encounter with may still be alive.

Yes, after leaving it in the garage and it thawing out it has stunk up my entire 3 car garage overnight. I'll be soaking it in water and peroxide tonight to get the flesh and algae taken care of then put it up in my garage as a skull mount.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”