Some perspective please

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Bowonly

Re: Some perspective please

Unread postby Bowonly » Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:52 am

ThePreBanMan wrote:I think you made the right call on not taking the fingers shot.

Agreed.

And I'd take the lesson for what it is:
Next time have your release on.

Take someone hunting or fishing.
Ragingun

Unread postby Ragingun » Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:46 am

Agreed with all that stated have the release ready. I have since then every time. Lesson learned.
Dogs have many friends because they wag their tails, not their tongues.
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:17 am

Twenty Up wrote:Every time I walk to my tree, bow/quiver and release are in my hands. Range finder around my neck ready to go. Had several hunts end without having to set up a stand ;)

Same with me. I had it happen one time. Come around a corner and was face to face with a big buck. Ever since then I am ready.
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:04 am

I always walk in (in daylight) with bow/release/gun ready. And am always ready for a shot, and have killed many deer that way that would have gotten away otherwise. But you are still going to encounter situations like you had for one reason or another. I had two times this year when I was walking with gun ready, expecting to see deer, and had big bucks within 50 yards that got away. It will always happen. Just a part of hunting...You can say you learned from it, and you will be ready next time, and it won't happen again. But it will happen again.
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
Octoberjohn

Unread postby Octoberjohn » Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:34 am

The only thing that you can do is just chalk it up to a lesson learned. I honestly try and take something away from each trip out, whether it be scouting or actually hunting, that I learned and can use on future hunts. From just reading this story there is some reason why a buck of that caliber was living in the area you were hunting him. Do some scouting this winter/spring and figure out exactly what it is. I would bet threw is a great chance that another buck will take that one's place!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”