Trash cans in woods spooking bucks.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Tennhunter3
500 Club

Trash cans in woods spooking bucks.

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:44 am

I just got back into one of my areas about 800 yards from car and found large fresh rubs but found beer can on the transition line.

Havent walked this area since April so i have no idea how fresh the cans are. Should i sit the spot or leave and go elsewhere with only a little over a week i want every last sit to count.

How do beer cans and trash messy hunters effect you guys decisions? Personaly trash scares me because i have no idea when it was left behind.

Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
Jonny
500 Club

Re: Trash cans in woods spooking bucks.

Unread postby Jonny » Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:25 am

How fresh is the beer can?
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:26 am

Trash, hunter sign, tell me im likely in the wrong spot... I want to b3e where people rarely go... You can find "deer" in traditional spots that attract people, but the big boys are generally hanging out in areas over looked by beer drinking hillbilly hunters... ;)
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:59 am

I do wonder if it's a pile of cans/bottles. If it's kids partying at night and how that would affect the mature bucks.
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:46 am

Slob hunters have no respect for anything.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:07 am

Stanley wrote:Slob hunters have no respect for anything.

Last year in Iowa early in October I hunted a fairly remote property. Came back the next weekend and the parking area had a HUGE pile of beer cans, bottles and garbage mixed in with ashes from a bonfire. When I mean a huge pile I mean I could have dang near filled up the bed of my pickup with the trash laying around. Somebody had a pretty big party. :o

If you wanna have a party fine I don’t have an issue with that and did it myself all the time in my younger days but PLEASE PICK UP YOUR TRASH.

It makes me sick seeing people treat public land like that. If I come across stuff like that in parking areas or in the woods I move on. Not a very enjoyable experience for me. Sure don’t wanna be around hunters that are drinking in the woods. Sounds like an accident waiting to happen.
Killtree

Unread postby Killtree » Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:17 am

Stanley wrote:Slob hunters have no respect for anything.

I resent that statement, I purposely hunt for slobs.
:violence-bowandarrow:
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:07 am

Been the story of my season even 1200 yards back i find hunter sign. Most hunter sign is near the parking areas.

Hard to find places mostly just up in clearcuts where its hard to see 20 yards.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
Bogle

Unread postby Bogle » Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:15 pm

Yea I would avoid it. With that said; guys down here will often mark where to turn off of a main trail with a piece of random trash.
ThePreBanMan
500 Club

Unread postby ThePreBanMan » Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:38 pm

Bogle wrote:Yea I would avoid it. With that said; guys down here will often mark where to turn off of a main trail with a piece of random trash.

I've seen that too. Much more inconspicuous then a glow tack.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:58 am

A few years back, Dave, Jeff G. Me, and Chris C. were doing gun drives and ran into a drunk guy who when we got to the parking lot ( yes. he drove there ) was just heading out hunting. He had a rifle and a big back pack. During the drive we jumped a couple nice bucks and after some missed shots put Dave on the track while we circled around. Dave tracked the buck right past the drunk guy and shot it in a bed a hundred yards further up. The guy was sitting in a natural blind over looking an open area sitting on a chair. The ground was covered in fresh snow so everything glowed that was not white. Dave walked past the guy on the bucks tracks within 50 yards... When he shot the buck the guy came over and said he hadn't seen anything. His backpack was now open and it was full of beer cans...
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:40 am

stash59 wrote:I do wonder if it's a pile of cans/bottles. If it's kids partying at night and how that would affect the mature bucks.

I was on a lease and the lease holder left a bucket loader there overnight - his brother came in late night with a couple half drunk chicks and was driving them all over - ended up on many trail cams and spent a few hours over by lease holder's favorite stand, left a pile of beer cans.

Never did hurt the hunting.

The beer can the OP references might just be something the person dropped when he/she finished it and was on the way in or out of the woods. Not cause they hunted there.

Good call on the trash being used to mark a turn off a trail, too. Have seen that plenty of times - usually a beer/soda can or water bottle on a branch.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”