Mature buck TOPO replays

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Bonehead

Mature buck TOPO replays

Unread postby Bonehead » Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:00 pm

Been bowhunting pre Beast for a long time. I’ve only found the Beast and started learning from Dan and some of the other great hunters on here for the last 2 months or so. Eye opening pieces to some of the puzzles on buck bedding, thermals ect.
So I’ve been on OnX map app re-living previous encounters I’ve had over the years with mature bucks in several different locations and terrain.
It’s a great learning tool because I can usually easily remember what wind direction would be for certain trees that I’ve hunted from the past. I can’t always remember how hard the wind was blowing, but usually can remember if it was windy, still, or time of day ect. (It’s a guesstimate on some of the conditions).
Any of the you guys ever go back with the maps and and gain insight with some of your previous encounters with mature bucks you have had pre Beast?

Killemquietly

Re: Mature buck TOPO replays

Unread postby Killemquietly » Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:20 pm

Excellent way to do it. Keeping a detail log helps a great deal.
MedicineMan15

Unread postby MedicineMan15 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:15 am

I've done that a lot recently.

This year I was set up on the southeast side of a point of a ridge, the wind went from north to northwest, and shortly after that I had a mature buck come over the top of the ridge from the West side to bed on the east side about 45 yards from me. He ended up getting up and going the opposite direction near dark.

As I looked back, I realised that this was an example of wind shift bedding in hill country. I didn't really set up for the wind shift, but I will capitalize on this type of setup in the future.

It's been really educational for me to look back at deer sightings and check wunderground historical weather to see what was going on for the encounter to happen. So far I can usually find a reason relating to wind.
Bedbug

Unread postby Bedbug » Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:30 am

One of my favorite things to do.

The historical weather data isn't very accurate in my area so last season I started documenting on a daily journal.
I wish I would have started years ago. Starting in Aug I document every days Detailed weather hunting or not. At sunrise and sunset and any wind shift.
Then have a spot under the weather for in field notes.

Learned the hard way not to do it on my phone. :violin:

I trust my memory as I'm sure you do but looking back at a map sometimes a guy tends to remember what he wants rather than the exact. My notes have showed me that a time or 2.
Dave.Bechtel

Unread postby Dave.Bechtel » Sun Dec 24, 2017 4:54 am

I've started recording my encounters after every hunt. I write down the temp, wind direction, everything I can find. Some of it might not be useful but ya never know. I've attempted to study the patterns and wind based off the of the deer movement I have seen. I have a friend who has gotten really into this and who has set up cameras over buck beds. He has a seasons worth of photos of a mature buck coming into the bed. He has been able to determine the bucks movement in and out of the bed based on the wind direction. I know that it is not a perfect science but it might give him a edge for the upcoming season.
Chase Nation | Reality Hunting TV
WV Bowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby WV Bowhunter » Sun Dec 24, 2017 5:34 am

Yep study maps all the time now. After finding the beast I went back and scouted most of the big buck encounter and kill spots to try to figure out why they did what they did and why I killed him or he got away. Almost every big buck encounter had one thing in common, I was close to buck or doe bedding.

I enjoy the scouting and planning as much or more than the killing I think. Never have played chess on a board game but it sure is fun to do it in the woods with smart old bucks.
Luck is when preparation meets opportunity!!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”