Doe using scrape

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

AAAK

Doe using scrape

Unread postby AAAK » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:07 am

When a doe urinates in a scrape what does this mean. In estrous? coming into estrous? just leaving scent?

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Doe using scrape

Unread postby dan » Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:58 pm

If its a doe it usually is a calling card for the buck using the scrape.
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:06 am

I have been running multiple cameras on scrapes for 10 years, some all year long. I have had one video of a doe urinating in a scrape (on very low deer density area in Northern Adirondacks), and it was not during the rut. Not sure what it means, she had to urinate...??? Maybe leaving scent, but if they were leaving scent or signaling they are in estrous, I would think more does would do it. I don't think a doe in estrous generally has to go searching too far for a buck, or go peeing in a scrape to find a buck.

I have seen lots of does work a licking branch to leave scent, just don't see them urinate in the scrape. Interested if others have seen it more....
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:35 am

brancher147 wrote:I have been running multiple cameras on scrapes for 10 years, some all year long. I have had one video of a doe urinating in a scrape (on very low deer density area in Northern Adirondacks), and it was not during the rut. Not sure what it means, she had to urinate...??? Maybe leaving scent, but if they were leaving scent or signaling they are in estrous, I would think more does would do it. I don't think a doe in estrous generally has to go searching too far for a buck, or go peeing in a scrape to find a buck.

I have seen lots of does work a licking branch to leave scent, just don't see them urinate in the scrape. Interested if others have seen it more....

I agree with this, does more often sniff a scrape and do nothing more. When a doe is in sweet mode bucks know it. I have seen more does bed in a scrape than urinate in a scrape.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:43 am

My scrapes were so active this year it was crazy. Lots of does working them . I’d have to rewatch all of them to see if any of them urinated in them. They definitely work over the over hanging branch. A lot of the bucks don’t even paw up the dirt they just use the overhanging branch a lot a lot of them chew on it. And a lot urinate in them

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”