Oak ridge with marsh below

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Alexhei

Oak ridge with marsh below

Unread postby Alexhei » Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:15 am

Quick question about these ridges that have marshes on the bottom... I went scouting Sunday morning and found a ton of beds on the points as indicated in hill country DVD. Usually we have a nw wind and ridge rubs east west with marsh to south. The beds have no cover so I was wondering if these are night beds where they are laying down after eating? I scouted the marsh and did bump a nice 8 point off of an island that had dogwood around it and found some other beds.

mathews418

Re: Oak ridge with marsh below

Unread postby mathews418 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:34 am

I have no experience with marshes personally, however I would guess based on the beds on the ridge being open I would say those are inferior or small buck beds possibly even just doe beds and the bigger more mature deer will take over the beds in the marsh. So it shouldn't of been a surprise to bump a good one off of that island if it has the best bedding cover. Especially if it is a pressured area. And yes those on the ridge could have in fact been night beds. Did you measure them to see if it was a large animal to lay there? Where there there several beds in a circle type fashion?
Jeff G
500 Club

Unread postby Jeff G » Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:23 pm

In this situation the big bucks will prefer to be on the hill country points. The points offer more security and gives them the ability to bust any danger before it gets close.

If there is a ton of pressure on the dry hill ground they will move to the marsh bedding. Second option.

Stage hunt the area. Start with points and move in on the marsh as you stage your way thru the property.
Alexhei

Unread postby Alexhei » Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:02 pm

They were pretty small and I didn't see any rubs. Very little to no pressure out there (3 km hike with no motorized vehicles allowed) i did find a group of 6 beds then a bunch of single beds in the hills... thanks for the input. No sense hunting the ridges if that's night action
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:01 pm

If they are open beds with no cover I would walk on past... You need cover in hill bedding. Could be does, could be small bucks, very well might be night beds. Look for thick cover in association to hill bedding, or look down in the marsh if your goal is big bucks.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”