Favorite Specialty Cuts

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Nelson87
500 Club

Re: Favorite Specialty Cuts

Unread postby Nelson87 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:34 am

Emrah wrote:Do all my own processing. I do it all from jerky to summer sausage. Tough to choose favorite from those two. But my favorite food prep by far is braised shoulder roast. Simmered for hours in Dutch oven till it's falling off the bone. Then add potatoes carrots and onions last hour for thick stew. Oh man!

Emrah

I've never made a roast out of a shoulder, but what you're describing here sounds delicous. Excuse my ignorance, but what part of the shoulder are you using? The part with the shoulder blade? Got any more info on how you do this?

comeback_kid

Unread postby comeback_kid » Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:08 am

I like making jerky if I can borrow a dehydrator :) I usually get roasts, steaks, burger etc. This last deer I also got some chipped steak to make Philly cheesesteaks. They were really good.
Emrah

Unread postby Emrah » Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:56 am

Nelson87 wrote:
Emrah wrote:Do all my own processing. I do it all from jerky to summer sausage. Tough to choose favorite from those two. But my favorite food prep by far is braised shoulder roast. Simmered for hours in Dutch oven till it's falling off the bone. Then add potatoes carrots and onions last hour for thick stew. Oh man!

Emrah

I've never made a roast out of a shoulder, but what you're describing here sounds delicous. Excuse my ignorance, but what part of the shoulder are you using? The part with the shoulder blade? Got any more info on how you do this?

Yep. Shoulder blade. Brown it first, then summer in stock for approx 3 hrs. Then add potatoes carrots and onions last hour.

Emrah
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:05 am

Emrah wrote:
Nelson87 wrote:

Emrah

Yep. Shoulder blade. Brown it first, then summer in stock for approx 3 hrs. Then add potatoes carrots and onions last hour.

Emrah

I've done the same but instead of browining, smoke it fairly cool for a couple of hours to build a bark.smoke ring, then braise. I'll freeze portions of the pulled meat in quart ziplocs and pull them out for all kinds of stuff like tacos, sandwiches, nachos, fried rice, soups, oemelttes, really anything you can come up with.
checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:59 am

Kraftd wrote:
Emrah wrote:
Nelson87 wrote:

Emrah

Emrah

I've done the same but instead of browining, smoke it fairly cool for a couple of hours to build a bark.smoke ring, then braise. I'll freeze portions of the pulled meat in quart ziplocs and pull them out for all kinds of stuff like tacos, sandwiches, nachos, fried rice, soups, oemelttes, really anything you can come up with.

So you cold smoke it or just smoke on low heat?
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:13 am

checkerfred wrote:
Kraftd wrote:
Emrah wrote:
Nelson87 wrote:

Emrah

Emrah

So you cold smoke it or just smoke on low heat?

I usually just use lower heat, nit a true cold smoke. Basically, not looking to cook it through, just get some smoke on it. I did it a little too hot one time, and had a harder time getting it to break down in the braise.
checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:27 am

Kraftd wrote:I usually just use lower heat, nit a true cold smoke. Basically, not looking to cook it through, just get some smoke on it. I did it a little too hot one time, and had a harder time getting it to break down in the braise.

Gotcha. I’ve tried smoking deer with normal smoking temps and just comes out too dry. I wonder how a true cold smoke would work? I have an amaze n smoker and can smoke without any heat
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:47 am

checkerfred wrote:
Kraftd wrote:I usually just use lower heat, nit a true cold smoke. Basically, not looking to cook it through, just get some smoke on it. I did it a little too hot one time, and had a harder time getting it to break down in the braise.

Gotcha. I’ve tried smoking deer with normal smoking temps and just comes out too dry. I wonder how a true cold smoke would work? I have an amaze n smoker and can smoke without any heat

I would think you could do something sort of ham-ish and cure it with some pink salt in a brine and then cold smoke and make some darn good meat.

Yeah, just not enough fat for a true smoke like a port but or brisket. The finishing braise is key. It turns out pretty spectacular.
checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:50 am

Kraftd wrote:
checkerfred wrote:

I would think you could do something sort of ham-ish and cure it with some pink salt in a brine and then cold smoke and make some darn good meat.

Yeah, just not enough fat for a true smoke like a port but or brisket. The finishing braise is key. It turns out pretty spectacular.

I’ll have to try the braising method. Oh I have made deer pastrami now that mentioned brining. It was awesome too..I need to make it again sometime!
BradC36

Unread postby BradC36 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:41 am

Do all of my own processing, I do some different sausages every year, sometimes summer sausage, usually italian that I leave loose for patties on the grill. Jerky I'll do by request but never for myself. I love leaving a hind quarter of a small doe whole and brining/smoking it.
Catskills

Unread postby Catskills » Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:06 am

This year I bought my own meat grinder and sausage stuffer. Already make 10lbs of Sweet Italian Sausage and 5lbs of keilbasa. Really good and worth the investment!
briar
500 Club

Unread postby briar » Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:10 am

I used to really enjoy deer meat, then it just stopped. I cant stomach it now. Kinda a bummer.
Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:14 am

Inner loins and heart.
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:48 am

Homemade fresh sausages are also fun. I like to do some mexican chorizo every year. Usually just end up playing around a little bit with recipes too. Did some sage wild mushroom juniper links a few years ago that turned out great.
checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:06 am

Kraftd wrote:Homemade fresh sausages are also fun. I like to do some mexican chorizo every year. Usually just end up playing around a little bit with recipes too. Did some sage wild mushroom juniper links a few years ago that turned out great.

Try some deer pepperoni....I did that one year and it was AWESOME

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”