Favorite Specialty Cuts

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Dewey

Re: Favorite Specialty Cuts

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:09 am

checkerfred wrote:
Dewey wrote:
checkerfred wrote:
Catskills wrote:
Dewey wrote:I do my own because I like pure venison with nothing extra added. Never could understand adding pork to deer meat I want to eat deer not pigs. I also stay away from all the processed stuff like brats, hot sticks and sausage with all the cancer causing nitrites that are added to that stuff. As long as I have my whole backstraps, tenderloins, steaks, roasts and pure burger I am happy.

Do you make sausages etc? How do they come out without the pork fat added? This is my first year hunting and making my own sausage. So I added pork fat I got from the local butcher because that is what most people recommend. If you make it without I am willing to try it

you have to add fat when making sausage...there's no way around that unless you want bad sausage. if using ground for stuff like chili or spaghetti then no you don't need it...but even for burgers, you have to add something to make it bind together...I don't add more than 20% pork fat....you can probably get beef fat for making burger

I grind all my burger twice and then press my patties with nothing added. Never have problems with the meat not binding together. I make my patties pretty thick so that helps to hold them together and retain the juices with no extra fat needed. I quickly grill it on high heat searing the juices in and making sure it’s still pink in the middle. Perfect pure venison burger every time.

I've never been able to make straight up ground stick together....esp on the grill...even with pork fat added they some times won't stay together. maybe the thickness helps...I do know for sausages there's no way to avoid it

A burger pattie press with adjustable thickness works great. I take a baseball sized burger ball, put between two wax paper squares, press patties then throw them in a Foodsaver bag and vacuum seal. Thaw and ready to throw on the grill.

When I pressed them by hand they weren’t very uniform and fell apart. With a pattie press I get a perfect burger every time. I use the LEM single hand operated press.

Swamp_donkey

Re: Favorite Specialty Cuts

Unread postby Swamp_donkey » Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:13 pm

Dewey wrote:I do my own because I like pure venison with nothing extra added. Never could understand adding pork to deer meat I want to eat deer not pigs. I also stay away from all the processed stuff like brats, hot sticks and sausage with all the cancer causing nitrites that are added to that stuff. As long as I have my whole backstraps, tenderloins, steaks, roasts and pure burger I am happy.

I feel pretty much the same with my venison anyways. I cut my backstraps into steaks, tender loins and I may or may not cut the sirloin into steaks. Everything else I grind. The ground stuff is so versitile and found I always ran out of it first. Make my own sausage on occasion and that would be the only time I would add ground pork fat but have tried avacado instead with interesting results. It's a lot of avacado though. Gives an interesting (smooth) texture and helps with moisture without being greasy.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”