Thoughts on mature bucks on bait

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Ghost Hunter

Re: Thoughts on mature bucks on bait

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:28 am

My take on this. Older bucks visit bait locations after daylight hours. Trail camera have proven that in past for me.. They will bed in cover leading into bait locations but in security. They bed in area, so they can watch travel in an out to bait areas. I tried hunting sitting on corn feeders many years ago. Found it to be boring.

Although you take peak of rut I'm sure a buck would follow a doe or visit a corn feeder at some point. But it's just not me.

I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
johndeere506
500 Club

Unread postby johndeere506 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:32 am

PK_ wrote:Not sure if anyone has heard of this place called Texas?

Any time the word baiting comes up I always think of 2 states.

Michigan and Texas!

They even sell commercial ROAD FEEDERS! They pop in your 2" truck receiver and off you go dumping 250lbs of corn on your huntin road! Lol. Makes more sense now seeing all the Texas shows or videos hunting long 2 tracks in front of blinds.
mathews418

Unread postby mathews418 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:17 am

magicman54494 wrote:
mathews418 wrote:
magicman54494 wrote:Deadly when done correctly.

could you elaborate on this for everyone Magic?

Every technique works depending on how well you employ the technique. I wont go into detail but i will say that location and timing are the key. I know guys that kill big bucks every year over bait. I see time and again that people just don't take the time to figure things out. Ask yourself a few questions.
Mathews 418, answer these questions for me.
When would food work the best as an attractant?
Where is the best place to put this food in hopes of getting a deer to come during the day time?

It would work the best when all natural food is pretty much non existent and I would imagine that it would be best in thick cover right on the edge of bedding.

I think the major issue isn't that big bucks don't come to bait as I have pics to prove they do well in my area at least. I think the major problem is you can bait all you want but if it's not tucked into cover tight to bedding you will never get any daytime action. They hardly come out out into open fields in daylight so why would they trot through open woods to a corn pile.
moondoondude
500 Club

Unread postby moondoondude » Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:52 pm

Huge difference between baiting and supplemental feeding.

I feed deer at a few places year round. I'm not just throwing out some corn - I'm actually feeding the deer what they should be eating and exactly what I am feeding the deer is seasonally dependent. I spend some mega $ on it, but it if you do it the right way, it is good for deer. It has to be available, and the problem is that they eat so much of it so fast year round so keeping it fully available is quite the task. Places where I supplementally feed are typically right on the edges of bachelor group bedding areas. Some places have established food plots and 1000s of acres of primetime ag available just about year round. They still prefer the supplemental feed, because you should be feeding them exactly what they need (again, seasonally dependent). Daylight pictures are frequent, as a matter of fact some times of the year, I don't get any night pictures, only daylight.

Baiting is a crapshoot, usually if I am moving cameras around a bunch, I will throw a little corn in front of them so the deer stop and I can get some good pics.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:58 pm

PK_ wrote:Not sure if anyone has heard of this place called Texas?

Baiting is big business here in Tx, I'm talking billions! I recently read a article that made sense to me of why this is standard hunting practice in my state. Basically the article stated that with almost non existent public lands, hunters are forced to lease at outrageous prices, (average lease cost $2000, average amount of acerage per hunter 70) Do to the high cost to hunt, these hunters want to see deer and kill something. Feeders and road corn easily provide this to long range gun hunters. If they tried spot & stalk hunting or some various other methods there high priced 70 acres would be stunk up and deer pressured out with in afew hours of hunting.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Northcarolinian

Unread postby Northcarolinian » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:10 pm

I've hunted over bait all my life, still do but im targeting does to fill the freezer, i have shot a few mature bucks though. In years past I've had cameras on the bait all season and all the bucks I've killed where never on camera at the bait in daylight, and it's almost always the same time off year late October. So from what I gather from the trail camera and many sits is atleast where I'm at your hunting all that time just waiting for the one day out of the whole year he screws up. That's not good odds in my opinion and why I started hunting bedding. Just my .02 cents

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”