You just shot a gross booner now what

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

What would you do if you shot a 170" or bigger whitetail?

Shoulder mount it
85%
Full body mount
4%
Euro mount
9%
Plaque
No votes
Throw it in the barn pile with all the rest
2%

Total votes: 157
Boogieman1
500 Club

Re: You just shot a gross booner now what

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:49 am

Emrah wrote:I voted chuck it, but I'm an oddity in the hunting world. I have less than zero fascination with or desire for antlers. I can't even wrap my head around paying the (to me) obscene amount of money even for an average taxidermy job.

I'm 100% about the meat. That's it. I got into it over on Archery Talk on a thread where someone proposed a theoretical: Shoot a 200" Once In A Lifetime Deer. You Can Only Take The Head or the Meat.

I'm one of the few who voted "no question: meat". I got called crazy. A liar. Grandstander, etc. Some people just don't understand the absolute ZERO desire some of us hunters have for antlers. Oh well.

Emrah

I understand your take on the matter, but let me pose a question to you. You got 2 deer standing out infront of u all broadside equall range, u got 1 fat mature doe and a skinny lil forky. Which do u shoot? I know a lot of guys who say they are meat hunters and don't give a hoot about antlers, yet they drop the fork horn every time. That's the thing I don't get.

Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:27 am

Boogieman1 wrote:I understand your take on the matter, but let me pose a question to you. You got 2 deer standing out infront of u all broadside equall range, u got 1 fat mature doe and a skinny lil forky. Which do u shoot? I know a lot of guys who say they are meat hunters and don't give a hoot about antlers, yet they drop the fork horn every time. That's the thing I don't get.

I'm a meat hunter as well and I will dump the doe every time. I consider antlers a bonus. It's meat on the table that matters to me at the end of the season.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:08 am

Horizontal Hunter wrote:
Boogieman1 wrote:I understand your take on the matter, but let me pose a question to you. You got 2 deer standing out infront of u all broadside equall range, u got 1 fat mature doe and a skinny lil forky. Which do u shoot? I know a lot of guys who say they are meat hunters and don't give a hoot about antlers, yet they drop the fork horn every time. That's the thing I don't get.

I'm a meat hunter as well and I will dump the doe every time. I consider antlers a bonus. It's meat on the table that matters to me at the end of the season.

Bob

Why can’t I just shoot them both? That’s 4 backstraps right there :L:

I shoot the first one I get a clean shot at. I’d hope it’s the doe but I’m not passing up meat to hopefully shoot meat either
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
WV Bowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby WV Bowhunter » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:19 am

I love looking at my mounts and have already prepared my wife, first booner is a full body mount.
Luck is when preparation meets opportunity!!
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:25 am

Who were the yahoos who voted they would throw it in the barn pile??? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll: :roll:
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
Emrah

Unread postby Emrah » Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:02 am

Crazinamatese wrote:Who were the yahoos who voted they would throw it in the barn pile??? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll: :roll:

Me
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:03 am

Jonny wrote:
Horizontal Hunter wrote:

Bob

Why can’t I just shoot them both? That’s 4 backstraps right there :L:

I shoot the first one I get a clean shot at. I’d hope it’s the doe but I’m not passing up meat to hopefully shoot meat either

Get em both Kilroy 8-) I wasn't meaning to imply anyone on here is a hypocrite, but some of the knuckle head locals around here are. Preach they only hunt for the meat screw horns, then have 10 mature doe at the corn pile and shoot the lil dink. That just makes me think they are full of it and them just trying to rationalize what they shoot and there inability to get on a good buck. Again I don't care what anyone shoots as long as there happy with it, myself I like the challenge of filling my tag, I get 2 doe and one buck. If I didn't set goals on antler size it would be relitively easy to tag out opening day if I just shot the first 3 deer I saw.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Emrah

Unread postby Emrah » Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:12 am

Boogieman1 wrote:
Emrah wrote:I voted chuck it, but I'm an oddity in the hunting world. I have less than zero fascination with or desire for antlers. I can't even wrap my head around paying the (to me) obscene amount of money even for an average taxidermy job.

I'm 100% about the meat. That's it. I got into it over on Archery Talk on a thread where someone proposed a theoretical: Shoot a 200" Once In A Lifetime Deer. You Can Only Take The Head or the Meat.

I'm one of the few who voted "no question: meat". I got called crazy. A liar. Grandstander, etc. Some people just don't understand the absolute ZERO desire some of us hunters have for antlers. Oh well.

Emrah

I understand your take on the matter, but let me pose a question to you. You got 2 deer standing out infront of u all broadside equall range, u got 1 fat mature doe and a skinny lil forky. Which do u shoot? I know a lot of guys who say they are meat hunters and don't give a hoot about antlers, yet they drop the fork horn every time. That's the thing I don't get.

I hear ya on that. I'll one up you on the scenario. If a gnarly OLD rutty ol' buck with giant antlers and a big fat juicy 2 1/2 year old doe are standing side by side, 20 yard chip shot.... I'm shooting the big fat juicy for every single time.

What gets me too are people who say they want to shoot the "oldest, most mature representative of the species", yet pass on that giant buck they've been chasing all year if the horns fall off or broken off late season. Well? There he is... why won't you shoot him now? Or how about that old nanny doe? She's pretty mature, savvy and a worthy opponent right?

Anyway I'm not trying to poo-poo anyone's choices on what they want to shoot. It's just that there are those of us out here who hunt for other reasons. Honestly, I wouldn't know what to do with a huge rack. It would stay in the woods or rot in the corner of my garage until I could give them away to the first person who wanted them.

Emrah
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:31 am

Emrah I feel the same way about turkeys. I get so many videos of turkeys with huge beards...delete delete delete. I could hunt farms with all these nice turkeys on them and have no interest . See em all the time when I’m Deer hunting and they do nothing for me . To each there own
Emrah

Unread postby Emrah » Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:44 am

And sorry if this thread got side tracked. Hope you all know I'm not passing judgement on anyone here. I know some "meat only hunters" come off judgy and holier than thou. And yes, some of them talk the talk but will shoot dinks when a doe is standing next to it. I was just voting in a poll fully knowing I'd be in the minority and the "throw it in the corner" option was probably tongue in cheek anyway!

Emrah
Buckbreath

Unread postby Buckbreath » Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:17 pm

If it was me I would get rid of the wife before the deer head. I'm lucky enough to have a woman that knows how much a deer of that caliber would mean to me.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:36 pm

Emrah you are probably in a place where most of us have a somewhat unhealthy addictions to hunting and antlers, I am ok admitting that. For me personally I hunt for food but I also like to chase big bucks. If it comes down to an empty freezer or passing a young buck I will fill the freezer every time. However when you love to hunt deer there comes a point where shooting any deer become just too easy even with a bow so you want to up the challenge level to more rare and harder animals hunt. This way you get to hunt a whole lot more and for sure it is one heck of a challenge and a lot of fun. Like you said to each there own, everyone has their passions some people knit, some loving racing or sports but for many of us here that passion is deer hunting and there is just something about those big antlered bucks that keeps us coming back for more.
JAK
500 Club

Unread postby JAK » Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:11 am

I would definitely mount it. Hunting means something different to everyone and I'd never knock anyone for shooting something.. But the older I get I don't get excited over smaller deer anymore. I love venison but would take the doe every time but I'm ok with eating a tag as well
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:31 am

Emrah, I appreciate the differing perspective. Seems totally honest in your case. Simple curiosity, but what draws you to the beast message board, given your feelings. Honest question I''m just curious about. Most of the tactics here are focused largely on mature buck hunting, so interested in your thoughts.

As for the question posed, shoulder mount for me. I'd find somewhere for it, and the wife would be ok with it. Sounds like the guy in the story in question didn't particularly care either. Whatever works for you. My biggest is a euro hanging in my living room. Wife doesn't mind a the euros as much as the shoulder mounts so those are tucked away a little more. Big euros look pretty darn cool in my opinion. Didn't wanna spend the money when I shot it and haven't gotten around to a shoulder mount yet, maybe ever. I am going to get the cape tanned this year though, may give it a go myself.
Whitetailaddict
500 Club

Unread postby Whitetailaddict » Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:25 am

Boogieman1 wrote:

Emrah

I agree with you to a point. If deer populations in that area are low then it may be better if meat hunters do shoot the buck over the doe. Every situation is different and I agree most people would lean towards shooting the buck but again depending on the circumstance ot may be the better choice for the deer herd. It doesn't help with the trophy potential many of us including myself desire but it does help with not decreasing the population. This is a little off topic but that's what I love about this site. Many different opinions and many directions for a thread like this. Opens my eyes on others perspective on hunting and what a trophy is to them. Most people would mount it but obviously not everyone. I personally feel an animal of that caliber just deserves to be displayed in its glory rather than tossed in a pile where nobody sees it again but to each their own.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”