Carry Pistol of Choice while hunting

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

fauxfly

Re: Carry Pistol of Choice while hunting

Unread postby fauxfly » Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:19 am

Sig Sauer P250 - 9mm, little big for CCW but it's kinda nice with the added capacity

Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:44 am

Beretta Nano 9mm w/lazer sight.
jpe40

Unread postby jpe40 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:05 am

Glock 19
ChaseTM
Facebook: Facebook.com/crewsak

Unread postby ChaseTM » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:07 am

I switch it up between the Glock 19 and the M&P Sheild in a 9mm. I prefer the Glock.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:14 am

I have the Glock #22 ( .40 cal ) Magazine holds 15 with the 16th in the tube at all times. I also have a sccy 9mm but that is a small gun to conceal in public. I tested a lot of guns and calibers before taking the Glock in .40. It was the most accurate and with real good power. The reason I carry in the woods is the same reason I carry in public.... People are the most dangerous thing you will ever encounter in the woods... Nothing else in Wisconsins woods scares me.
Cervicidal

Unread postby Cervicidal » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:40 am

Its either a Glock 19 or Shield 9mm for me. Sometimes a Sig 220 if I'm in a place where I might have a chance at a feral hog.
Noreast10pt
500 Club

Unread postby Noreast10pt » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:53 am

Kahr PM45 and if I'm bow hunting during firearms season I'll have my Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 mag.
SouthpawSwitchback

Unread postby SouthpawSwitchback » Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:21 am

I carry an XD-S 9mm... I'm with Dan when I say I'm not carrying for the 4 legged varmints. 9 rounds of federal 150 grain hollow points oughtta be more than enough to discourage anything trying to bring harm my way.
Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:45 am

For the full size carrying guys, where do you holster your pistol?

I'm torn between a thigh and chest holster at this point. With rock climbing harnesses that have leg straps that come up to your groin, it's very difficult to be flexible with itwb holsters.

I personally prefer open carrying in the woods. I found this out first hand when coming back to the truck after scouting some public when a "dubbed" Ford Explorer was parked behind my truck with some characters in it. Walked out of the woods and showed them my right hip and they took off immediately.
Trust the Process~~ Lost Boys Outdoors ~~

YoutTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UC7TXknGut5WfZQ6CbddgqYg
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:52 am

Twenty Up wrote:For the full size carrying guys, where do you holster your pistol?

I'm torn between a thigh and chest holster at this point. With rock climbing harnesses that have leg straps that come up to your groin, it's very difficult to be flexible with itwb holsters.

I personally prefer open carrying in the woods. I found this out first hand when coming back to the truck after scouting some public when a "dubbed" Ford Explorer was parked behind my truck with some characters in it. Walked out of the woods and showed them my right hip and they took off immediately.

I keep mine in my pocket... I never show my gun. If they see it, it will be the last thing they ever see. Showing you have a gun is just asking them to shoot you before you can get to it. My gun only comes out for one reason, its not to warn, its not to scare, its to stop a threat with deadly force. If it comes out, leads gonnas float.
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:54 am

Sig .40
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:55 am

Twenty Up wrote:For the full size carrying guys, where do you holster your pistol?

I wouldn't show it, real quick way to get police to come waste your time.
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:13 am

dan wrote:

I keep mine in my pocket... I never show my gun. If they see it, it will be the last thing they ever see. Showing you have a gun is just asking them to shoot you before you can get to it. My gun only comes out for one reason, its not to warn, its not to scare, its to stop a threat with deadly force. If it comes out, leads gonnas float.

If we were talking about in public open carrying I'd agree with you wholeheartedly. But in the woods I personally feel it's a different animal. You're going to know very quickly if you're going to have a problem or not. I've come across other hunters while OC and they'll either ask about the gun or ask why I carry. Judging character is really important here IMO because they know you have a weapon.

It's a personal choice, but I deer hunt solo 80% of the time. If a possible thief sees a lone unarmed hunter it's a soft target. If he's sees a hunter with a firearm that's a while different ballgame. I've been in bad neighborhoods bordering public and when they rode by on their atvs, saw the guns and tore off. Would they of acted differently had they not seen any guns? Who knows...
Trust the Process~~ Lost Boys Outdoors ~~

YoutTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UC7TXknGut5WfZQ6CbddgqYg
ThePreBanMan
500 Club

Unread postby ThePreBanMan » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:52 am

Edcyclopedia wrote:Ruger Super Red Hawk .44mag 9 1/2" S.S.
Booya!

WTF.... what are you afraid of attacking you - a T-Rex?

I carry - nothing... Despite having an extensive collection of hand guns... It''s illegal in MA to carry while bow hunting. During shotgun I have - well - my shotgun. During muzzle loader when I'm back to using the bow I again - carry nothing aside from the bow.

I would if I could... but the laws here suck. I've come across many a bow hunter who do carry though. They just don't give a f_ck... law be damned. I was with them there for a while but the EPOs here have no tollerance for that and the gun laws here are such that you'll be lucky to stay out of the clink if you get caught.

Pretty much best case scenario here if you get caught - the chief of police refuses to renew your LTC under the "suitability" clause of the law. All of your firearms get confiscated since you're no longer legally able to possess them and they get sent off to a bonded warehouse where you'll never see them again.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:39 am

ThePreBanMan wrote:
Edcyclopedia wrote:Ruger Super Red Hawk .44mag 9 1/2" S.S.
Booya!

WTF.... what are you afraid of attacking you - a T-Rex?

I carry - nothing... Despite having an extensive collection of hand guns... It''s illegal in MA to carry while bow hunting. During shotgun I have - well - my shotgun. During muzzle loader when I'm back to using the bow I again - carry nothing aside from the bow.

I would if I could... but the laws here suck. I've come across many a bow hunter who do carry though. They just don't give a f_ck... law be damned. I was with them there for a while but the EPOs here have no tollerance for that and the gun laws here are such that you'll be lucky to stay out of the clink if you get caught.

Pretty much best case scenario here if you get caught - the chief of police refuses to renew your LTC under the "suitability" clause of the law. All of your firearms get confiscated since you're no longer legally able to possess them and they get sent off to a bonded warehouse where you'll never see them again.

Mass & NY are tight-butts...

I've had a few instances, being 2 miles in, when Coyotes have packed around me on my way out. I've also had a few black bear run from me when my feet hit the ground. I don't want to be between a sow and a cub!

I have a gun for protection and hunting. I don't intend to knick my target, I expect to kill it... I really don't conceal & carry, yet, but have considered it a lot more this past year. NH opened the door not needing a permit & there is talk about reciprocity between state. I'm sure the two I mentioned won't be on the reciprocity list! Poor you ;)

I will purchase a compact .45 when I do. Love Kimber! My taste will set me back well over $1k, so I have to get the warden to sign off :whistle:
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”