Motivation. Push

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

RidgeGhost
500 Club

Re: Motivation. Push

Unread postby RidgeGhost » Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:03 pm

Lopedog you're in Delaware right? I have been up there for work a few weeks the last month and have seen multiple big bucks not too far from a big chunk of public ground(I map scouted the heck out of it while i was there :lol: ). Unless you feel obligated to hunt that lease because of the money involved, I would see what options are around you. Don't get tunnel vision on that place.

Ragingun

Unread postby Ragingun » Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:37 pm

RidgeGhost wrote:Lopedog you're in Delaware right? I have been up there for work a few weeks the last month and have seen multiple big bucks not too far from a big chunk of public ground(I map scouted the heck out of it while i was there :lol: ). Unless you feel obligated to hunt that lease because of the money involved, I would see what options are around you. Don't get tunnel vision on that place.

Man I can’t second that enough. My co-worker just yesterday asked me to aerial scout his farm and swamp land for him. As I was zooming in I noticed a huge chunk of public land right up the road. I pointed out a couple places that he should find buck beds and then went right over to the public land and scouted that for him. He asked me why would I hunt there when I have private? I laughed and said cuz it’s probably better hunting. He was perplexed so I left it at that, he’ll have to work through my advice in his own head.
Dogs have many friends because they wag their tails, not their tongues.
UofLbowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby UofLbowhunter » Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:26 pm

My opinion, its the best time to scout and learn as much as possible! Learning pressure bedding is a great way to stay ahead of next years hunting season. All bedding knowledge is the key to success in beast hunting. But if i only had a short period of time left to hunt id be hunting, or definitely be scouting with stand on my back with a weapon in hand.
Bucks,ducks, turkeys,and bass!
Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Unread postby Rob loper » Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:29 pm

Good idea we have plenty of public and i do feel like i should be hunting my lease but im not getting back in it most likely and im learning there is alot of public around so im gonna just cyber scout next few days then next week just go i have a few marsh spots in mind so thanks again guys.
Rob loper
500 Club

Unread postby Rob loper » Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:31 pm

Ragingun wrote:
RidgeGhost wrote:Lopedog you're in Delaware right? I have been up there for work a few weeks the last month and have seen multiple big bucks not too far from a big chunk of public ground(I map scouted the heck out of it while i was there :lol: ). Unless you feel obligated to hunt that lease because of the money involved, I would see what options are around you. Don't get tunnel vision on that place.

Man I can’t second that enough. My co-worker just yesterday asked me to aerial scout his farm and swamp land for him. As I was zooming in I noticed a huge chunk of public land right up the road. I pointed out a couple places that he should find buck beds and then went right over to the public land and scouted that for him. He asked me why would I hunt there when I have private? I laughed and said cuz it’s probably better hunting. He was perplexed so I left it at that, he’ll have to work through my advice in his own head.

Wheres that piece you were looking at? Hook me up bro? Lmao
creepingdeth
500 Club
Facebook: Huh?

Unread postby creepingdeth » Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:38 pm

Understand the losing hope thoughts. Went out to a public that muzzy ended today, the 3rd gun hunt besides bow. Had the gear on my back, looking for sign to setup on. Walked...and walked some more :lol: Not much for fresh tracks, snowed 4 days ago. 3 hours of lugging stand/sticks and didn't even setup. But, back in the car my mind started clicking...Am I hunting this area at the right time, where are the deer, ...I want to know this and more, I am already planning on how I can do it better next year. Even though today was a bust, it wasn't. I always take something away from the outing.Haven't been able to get out as much as I wanted, I will hunt 'til closing, I'll pick up intel from those outings as well...when the going gets tough, you know the rest. Keep at it
Yesterdays common sense is no longer common
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:58 pm

My opinion is u eithier like hunting or u don't. I love being perched in the timber, I feel a since of peace I can't put into words. Could be wrong but it sounds to me that you are to affraid of failing, that is preventing u from spreading your wings and flying. Reguardless of what some lease members tell you hunting is not a competitive sport, who cares if u don't get a monster, have fun and u can learn something new on every single sit that will help better your odds next year. If you have the privledge to spend a lot of time in the woods and just can't muster up the strength to try, I promise u there are a lot of members here on the Beast who would kill to be in your shoes. Grab your bow and a quiver full of arrows and get your but out there and let the good times roll. Hunt for no other reason than you want to and good things will happen. Go Get Em!
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
treeroot
500 Club

Unread postby treeroot » Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:58 pm

Go out to the closest public piece, set up on the best sign and shoot the first deer to walk through. If nothing comes through do it again. When you lose your drive, sometimes you need to throw out your expectations and just have fun.
MikePerry

Unread postby MikePerry » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:19 pm

First thing you need to do is change your mindset. I just don’t believe in thinking negative about hunting, information is gained and lessons are learned every time you step into the timber. if you have a positive attitude maybe you would recognize that you are fortunate to just be able to Pursue Whitetails. I could go on and on about encounters with mature bucks in the late season on the public land I hunt in PA and the pressured farms I hunt in Ohio but I’m not sure what good that will do for you, you have to have that fire to want to make it happen, deer are killed on the first day of the season every year and deer are killed on the last day of the season every year, enjoy the in between.

Mike
Persistence pays!!!
mspaci

Unread postby mspaci » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:37 am

can you use a portable set up on the lease, or sit on the ground just to change it up? Mike
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:55 am

MikePerry wrote:First thing you need to do is change your mindset. I just don’t believe in thinking negative about hunting, information is gained and lessons are learned every time you step into the timber. if you have a positive attitude maybe you would recognize that you are fortunate to just be able to Pursue Whitetails. I could go on and on about encounters with mature bucks in the late season on the public land I hunt in PA and the pressured farms I hunt in Ohio but I’m not sure what good that will do for you, you have to have that fire to want to make it happen, deer are killed on the first day of the season every year and deer are killed on the last day of the season every year, enjoy the in between.

Mike

x2 - Great post Mike

If deer is your passion and not just a hobby then always look toward the future vs the now.

The drive & motivation comes from the addiction. The addiction is chasing whitetails w confidence. Confidence comes from scouting.

I say hit the ground running bc you can learn 100x more and feed the beast within you w that much money going into the gas tank.
Rob loper
500 Club

Unread postby Rob loper » Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:27 am

Boogieman1 wrote:My opinion is u eithier like hunting or u don't. I love being perched in the timber, I feel a since of peace I can't put into words. Could be wrong but it sounds to me that you are to affraid of failing, that is preventing u from spreading your wings and flying. Reguardless of what some lease members tell you hunting is not a competitive sport, who cares if u don't get a monster, have fun and u can learn something new on every single sit that will help better your odds next year. If you have the privledge to spend a lot of time in the woods and just can't muster up the strength to try, I promise u there are a lot of members here on the Beast who would kill to be in your shoes. Grab your bow and a quiver full of arrows and get your but out there and let the good times roll. Hunt for no other reason than you want to and good things will happen. Go Get Em!

I will thanks my brother well said. No better feeling than being in a tree. None at all. Even a bad sit is great. Just really discouraged right now thats all thnks
Rob loper
500 Club

Unread postby Rob loper » Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:29 am

MikePerry wrote:First thing you need to do is change your mindset. I just don’t believe in thinking negative about hunting, information is gained and lessons are learned every time you step into the timber. if you have a positive attitude maybe you would recognize that you are fortunate to just be able to Pursue Whitetails. I could go on and on about encounters with mature bucks in the late season on the public land I hunt in PA and the pressured farms I hunt in Ohio but I’m not sure what good that will do for you, you have to have that fire to want to make it happen, deer are killed on the first day of the season every year and deer are killed on the last day of the season every year, enjoy the in between.

Mike

Well said very well said. Thnks
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:13 pm

1st off sorry for your loss. It's hard for "normal" people to completely understand what it's like to have a mental illness. I suffered from severe bouts of depression for a few years and I have to stop myself and think real hard what it was like. I'm so not that person now. It took lot of therapy to get over it. So keep that up when it's needed.

But as an outdoorsman. Just getting out there will help heal you alot. At a time like this, the loss of your close friend/relative. Time outside will allow you to go through all of the phases of emotions that need to be felt at a time like this. In the big picture of things killing a mature buck or any deer is secondary. But if the chance should arise even that can be therapeutic. Good luck and find the heart to forgive your friend/cousin for what he did. Honor him by telling all the good things about him to his kids as they grow. And take them hunting! :pray:
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”