Iowa hunter murdered on public ground

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
Dewey

Re: Iowa hunter murdered on public ground

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:40 am

Missionshooter wrote:holy crud. Is it legal to carry in Iowa for all us bowhunters making the journey someday?

I carried every day last season in Iowa and do the same here in WI.

Primetime41

Unread postby Primetime41 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:06 am

oldrank wrote:Horrible... I have always felt the most comfortable in the woods. However since I have been hunting alone the last few years it's become a little more nerve racking coming out alone. I am always watching for an ambush at my truck. There have been bodies dumped and people murdered where I hunt.

I'm never scared in the woods, but for some reason an ambush when I return to my truck is always in the back of my mind. Not sure why. Chances are so slim...almost zero.
treeroot
500 Club

Unread postby treeroot » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:36 am

Drugs the reason on this? I've witnessed an exchange on public before. No clue if it was drugs. But they sure as the world weren't hunting.
I plan on returning to hunting public and this is why I introduced myself to the neighbor to gain parking permission. Cost me $50 bucks for next season and a lot longer walk. But I don't need shot, my truck keyed or spray painted.
tcop7
500 Club

Unread postby tcop7 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:07 pm

oldrank wrote:Horrible... I have always felt the most comfortable in the woods. However since I have been hunting alone the last few years it's become a little more nerve racking coming out alone. I am always watching for an ambush at my truck. There have been bodies dumped and people murdered where I hunt.

I have not been carrying ... I will be from now on. I think it is a good decision to make.

Prayers and thoughts go out to this guys family and friends..

The last 2 years I have carried every bow hunt. I always have my hand ready to draw my gun when I am walking up to my truck in the dark after an evening hunt. You just never know anymore and I would rather be safe than sorry.
[glow=green]Experience Is What You Get When You Didn't Get What You Wanted![/glow]

[glow=blue]McLaughlin Athletic Center[/glow]
[glow=blue]Northwest Ohio's Youth Sports Complex![/glow]
[dropshadow=blue]Visit us at --->[/dropshadow]http://www.macgymohio.com/ [dropshadow=blue]<---[/dropshadow]
checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:33 pm

I have not been carrying ... I will be from now on. I think it is a good decision to make.

Prayers and thoughts go out to this guys family and friends..

Wow that’s scary Oldrank! Not sure I’d be hunting there. I have a feeling most of these have some motive behind them. I usually feel safe coming out in the hills but a few times paddling out of a desolate location to a parking lot has been kinda of eerie. I usually cut my light and paddle in the dark the last little bit and have my pistol ready. I’ve even stopped and just watched the truck some befor approaching
basspro05
500 Club

Unread postby basspro05 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:50 pm

Where are you guys hunting that you have to be so worried coming back to the truck in the dark?

I am a very careful and paranoid person usually, but it’s never crossed my mind that someone would be waiting to ambush me at my truck!

Are you in heavy meth areas? Or just feel you are a sitting duck?

Maybe I need to keep an arrow with a broadhead in my hand until the doors are locked!
checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:01 pm

basspro05 wrote:Where are you guys hunting that you have to be so worried coming back to the truck in the dark?

I am a very careful and paranoid person usually, but it’s never crossed my mind that someone would be waiting to ambush me at my truck!

Maybe I need to keep an arrow with a broadhead in my hand until the doors are locked!

Thing is you just never know these days. It’s not a bad thing always being aware. Look at the mass shootings happening in churches. The swamps where I hunt one is accessed from under a secluded bridge overpass. Not somewhere I like being alone coming out at dark. Another is a secluded boat launch. These are areas I could see potential to get robbed or something. Better safe than sorry
swampyak
500 Club

Unread postby swampyak » Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:16 pm

In some areas I'm definitely nervous when I come back to my vehicle. I'm in some remote and lawless areas at times
JAK
500 Club

Unread postby JAK » Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:36 pm

I've never got into a argument with another hunter but I've sometimes been parinoid about a confrontation. You never know how people will react anymore.
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:40 pm

basspro05 wrote:Where are you guys hunting that you have to be so worried coming back to the truck in the dark?

I am less then an hour from Flint, Detroit and Saginaw.. all are crime breeding havens. The town I live is is pretty safe but getting worse as time goes on. Lots of issues with heroin n other drugs. Being one of the closest public hunting areas to the metro Detroit areas we get a ton of rogue characters coming up to "hunt" or target shoot. I also have found homeless shelters where people live in the woods for a summer. They usually are gone by hunting season. I have found active ones during turkey season. The woods is also a local hangout for teen partiers.

Over the last 10 years I know of 3 murders in the general area. One was a hiker another was a lady they robbed n murdered and dumped her body and other a jealous boyfriend who killed his ex. You never know.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:35 pm

My biggest fear is running into a remote pot grow operation on public land. A few years back there was a huge one in Nicolet National Forest being run by the mexican drug cartel.

https://www.officer.com/home/news/10830 ... -marijuana

Guarantee if you run into these guys your probably going to die. If you have a gun you might at least have a chance of surviving. Not gonna happen with just your bow unless your name is Rambo.
Haus86

Unread postby Haus86 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:30 pm

Dewey wrote:My biggest fear is running into a remote pot grow operation on public land. A few years back there was a huge one in Nicolet National Forest being run by the mexican drug cartel.

Guarantee if you run into these guys your probably going to die. If you have a gun you might at least have a chance of surviving. Not gonna happen with just your bow unless your name is Rambo.

I found one with some buddies while scouting in the Northern Kettle Moraine. Law enforcement found it first, and they had cameras up. For a little while they thought it was ours. Luckily no one was home.
hambone
500 Club

Unread postby hambone » Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:15 am

I'm just naturally one of those people who prefer to sit with their back to a corner in a public place. So it is of no surprise that I have been packing all of my adult life. I ain't skeerd, just better safe than sorry. I would like to know more details about this particular case, since murders like this are seldom random. There is usually some previous connection.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:33 am

Haus86 wrote:
Dewey wrote:My biggest fear is running into a remote pot grow operation on public land. A few years back there was a huge one in Nicolet National Forest being run by the mexican drug cartel.

I found one with some buddies while scouting in the Northern Kettle Moraine. Law enforcement found it first, and they had cameras up. For a little while they thought it was ours. Luckily no one was home.

I found a few plants on Iowa public last summer right on the edge of a cornfield. Likely just someone's own personal stash. I left it alone and it was gone later in October.
RidgeGhost
500 Club

Unread postby RidgeGhost » Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:53 am

After tennhunter's opening day scare, I carried this year. That was nuts.

Last year I ran into an Asian guy holding a butcher knife in the pitch dark as I was walking out. Turned out to be a college kid that was camping trying to cut firewood with it, but for a second I thought it was about to get ugly.

This year I ran into a guy about 3/4 mile back in the middle of nowhere on a hiking trail that doesn't connect to any other trails or roads for about 8 miles. Odd thing was he was wearing business dress clothes and dress shoes and had nothing with him. Once we passed each other, I cut my light off and stood there and watched him for a while. I had a weird feeling he might try something. I watched his headlamp go about another half mile into the darkness. No idea where he was going or what he was doing out there.

It's always the people that worry me, not the critters.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”