Deer smelling ability in the cold

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Double Draw

Deer smelling ability in the cold

Unread postby Double Draw » Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:38 am

Just curious if anyone has any research on deer and whether or not their smelling faculties diminish in colder weather. When we go outside in the cold our noses numb somewhat and smelling ability diminishes. I am not suggesting deer and humans are the same, just wondering if there is a recognizable drop in their noses working top notch somewhat proportional to ours? Anecdotal or research based info would be helpful.

Ragingun

Re: Deer smelling ability on the cold

Unread postby Ragingun » Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:47 am

My first hand experiences with this is that the deer's nose will suffer too, although not nearly as much as a humans. It's not as much the nose getting cold as it is the air cannot hold the same percentage of moisture at colder temps hence not effectively carrying as much scent. I remember still hunting in -6 temps. By the time I was done positioning myself in the middle of the cedars where deer were bedding and browsing I was surrounded by deer on all sides, none of them picked up my scent in any direction. I was less than 5 yards from 4 deer in this time frame and they crossed all directions of my position as they browsed.

This is one example of a couple experiences I've had with frigid temps and scent. The others were the same result although I'm sure there will be times that they will still pick up your scent.
Dogs have many friends because they wag their tails, not their tongues.
Dewey

Re: Deer smelling ability in the cold

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:58 am

Even a with a diminished scenting ability a deer scenting ability is so superior that we cannot even begin to comprehend. We all have times where we cannot explain why deer cannot smell us but that’s most likely rising thermals or other air currents coming into play. I have been winded more times than I can count on dry below zero days so I don’t think it makes any difference.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”