What type of hunting buddies do you have?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
headgear
500 Club

Re: What type of hunting buddies do you have?

Unread postby headgear » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:22 am

Most of the guys I grew up hunting with aren't into it any longer, got a few other friends I hunt with on occasion. Big reason I am on the beast is because it's hard to find people as crazy as me but some of them are getting more into it and coming along into the jungle with me. I have a brother in law who will probably follow me anywhere after I put him on a big one this year. My cousin is seeing the light as well after we did some muzzy hunting this year and jumped a couple of big ones way back in a swamp, never got a shot off but always fun.

Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:52 am

I have a lot of friends and family that hunt, but no beasts. My dad is the only person I hunt with regularly, and even that is usually being at the cabin together and him going to presets and me branching out, but nice to reconvene for a cocktail and stories afterwards.

I have one friend I've been trying to help become a beast, but not sure it's in him. Usually get a text around 20 minutes to dark that he got down to look around and check things out and stuff like that. I'm pretty open with him about things, but if he gets there, its years away.

My father and brother in-law and some mutual friends in that group hunt, but not nearly as serious as I am. More fisherman than hunters. Love chatting hunting with them, and they're always game to help drag or lend a hand. Been trying to get my bil to hunt public with me, but again, just not in him. I try to gingerly mentor and make some suggestions where I can, but also don't want to presume they're looking for my help if they don't ask.

I hope at least one of my two daughters will be there someday, but not going to force that. Otherwise, I'm just fine being solo most of the time.
Octoberjohn

Unread postby Octoberjohn » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:12 am

Here locally I pretty much hunt by myself. I try and help get my Dad and brother on deer as well. Nobody that I know close to home takes things as seriously as I do.

I do have a lot of friends that I text very frequently about all aspects of hunting(scouting, shed hunting, etc.). A few of my best texting buddies I have never even met in person. A couple of them I met right here on this forum. It's always nice to be able to bounce ideas off of like minded individuals to make sure your thoughts about a spot might be correct. Hopefully some day I will get to get to do a little rutcation with a few of these guys as I am sure it would be a great time!
llcooljames

Unread postby llcooljames » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:37 am

I have 2 friends I hunt a lot with. I have many more fishing buddies however.
Abishai

Unread postby Abishai » Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:01 am

You know, when it comes to bowhunting I'm becoming more and more of a loner. I did have a good buddy at my last duty station, that I hunted with often. He was the type of bowhunter I was--navigating terrain, almost exclusively bow only and scent conscious.

There's a guy here with me in Germany, that if we were anywhere else in the world, we would probably hunt together, but since bowhunting is illegal here, and gun hunting is so freaking expensive and involved (Germany doesn't have a 2nd Amendment) we don't have the opportunity to hunt together here. We do talk about it quite a bit though.

When I'm back home, during the Orange Army, a good friend of mine from college invites all of us college buddies to his deer camp. We usually act a fool and have a dang good time. It's the one time a year all of us can break away and see each other. I actually really enjoy it, but due to Army haven't been able to make it for about 4 years. But each year I'm hoping and trying to make it.

But most of my socializing when hunting comes through duck hunting. I don't like to do it alone, so I'm always in a hunting party. Whether good friends or not, it's generally a fun time of socializing and freezing my cods off, chest deep in freezing cold water, to shoot a few ducks. Another good friend has a hunt club/cabin and I try to make it down to hunt with him a few times a year. I also hunt quite a bit with my brother-in-law on his farm. I actually prefer hunting with smaller groups---1 to 2 guys almost all the time unless I'm bowhunting.
“If you consider an unsuccessful hunt to be a waste of time, then the true meaning of the chase eludes you all together.”– Fred Bear
WV Bowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby WV Bowhunter » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:01 am

sbeasley wrote:Fascinating that this post is by you WV. I live in Athens, OH and was thinking about pm'ing you. Not sure what part of wv you are from but I told my wife a few days ago that I was going to reach out to a nearby beast. With work and kids, I don't have any beast style hunting buddies, I go alone. Our 10 year old son just shot his first deer last Saturday. I have been cautious about getting him started. I'm more proud of him for helping me butcher the whole deer. He didn't wander away to play video games the entire 3 evenings it took to finish the job. I think I have him hooked on deer " niblets" straight out of the skillet(all those yummy micro scraps from along the backbone- inside and out).

Corn piles are common here- not my game. I shot my first deer 30 years ago but have still only shot 1 mature. I've shot 3.5 year olds the previous 2 years with my bow. One opportunity this rutcation in 13 days- hit him in the shoulder blade - game over. Have hunted probably 130 hours this fall, still have my buck tag. I need to hang out around guys like you to get to the next level.

December is hectic for obvious reasons- I'll be in touch.

I hunt public fairly close to you. I’ve got a sometimes hectic job and a wife and 3 kids but maybe we can get together sometime late winter and do a scouting trip to some public in the area.
Luck is when preparation meets opportunity!!
hambone
500 Club

Unread postby hambone » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:57 am

My Son, is the only hunting buddy I have, or need. He hunts with me when he can, but most the time, I hunt alone.
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:40 pm

I definitely spend more time hunting and scouting than most of my hunting friends. Except for the two guys i went out west with though. They are into it just as much or more. They dont visit the beast forum but they are beasts without even knowing it. Great guys to hunt with, its cool to talk with them and hear how they get er done.

My closer friends and my brothers though, fully support my hunting style and although they dont fully participate, they are definitely intrigued in the strange successes i have consistently been having lately and they seem to be hunting smarter these days with some decent success. Its fun to talk tactics with them, i have gotten better at not geeking out about beast style hunting in our discussions and i learned to have more fun listening to their stories and i always just ask questions to try and get them to think logically about their hunt.

I dont really hunt with my hunting buddies but i am having a lot of fun hunting certain areas with a couple people. My brother and i are hunting one swamp in particular and its fun talking about the different spots and the deer we have seen in them. A coworker and i have been picking apart a big chunk of big woodsy land together and we will continue in the yrs to come i think. Its a fun way to "hunt together" but still be a lone wolf
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
rempse2

Unread postby rempse2 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:11 pm

I grew up hunting with my dad, great uncle and cousins. Eventually some lost interest or moved and it ended up being just my dad and I. My dad had a couple of guys from his work join us for some hunts during gun season, but we didn't really like their style if you know what I mean. My dads 76 now and he strained a muscled in his leg in October and had to sit out the entire season. First time in 26 years we didn't deer hunt together, i'm hoping he might have a few more seasons in him, but it seems like he is starting to slow down. My next door neighbor is into the outdoors but never hunted, I've taken him scouting with me a few times and he has expressed an interest so maybe eventually he will get into it.
elk yinzer
500 Club

Unread postby elk yinzer » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:24 pm

I have a few really great friends and a couple guys I've mentored into hunting and we get together once in awhile and I trust them with my spots. My dad and my brother are lifelong hunting partners but we live too far apart.

I pretty much live and breathe hunting and could spend all my time bs-ing about it, thus how I end up on these forums.

If there's anything I feel I am missing out on, it's that old school "crew" mentality where guys used to hunt hard as a team, put on drives, and hammer some small game in groups. My bowhunting is solitary, I think by nature that almost has to be, but other seasons, I think that would be neat to be a part of a big tight knit crew.
Treasurer, United Bowhunters of PA
https://ubofpa.org/membership-3
MNHUNTER23

Unread postby MNHUNTER23 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:35 pm

I hunt alone for the most part now. My dad past away a couple years ago and he only went during the gun season. He gave up bow hunting some years ago. Now my niece has gotten into hunting and she has bagged two deer in three years of gun hunting with me on public. She expressed interest in bow hunting this year so I got her a bow. Maybe next year she will be ready to try for her first deer with a bow. I like doing my own thing for bow hunting but I really miss the group hunting atmosphere out at my grandma's farm during gun season back in my younger days.
Wannabelikedan
500 Club

Unread postby Wannabelikedan » Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:23 pm

I have a friend (more like a brother) that’s been about the only hunting friend I’ve had since I was old enough to drive. However his career and obviously family obligations have all but taken him out of the woods. My father got me into hunting but my evolution as a hunter just put us into completely different dimensions. He’s shown some change over the past few years but I doubt he will ever get to the same level of drive and dedication this late in his life.

Since 2011, I’ve strictly bow hunted and that alone will turn one into a lone wolf. I just feel no one I know around my area has the will or want to gain the knowledge and be on the same level as what’s here on the beast. That’s clearly why I’m so drawn to this forum. Everyone locally is so caught up in the Hollywood hunting and snorting the pixie dust it’s unreal. I would like to have a hunting friend that possesses the same kind of drive i do but I’m not gonna run an ad in the local paper for one.
Teaching is only demonstrating that it is possible.... Learning is making it possible for yourself.
adudeuknow

Unread postby adudeuknow » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:18 pm

i prefer to always be alone. very private with most of my hunting. i know its not for everyone but i hunt for me and me only.
"I knew all the rules but the rules did not know me."
Grasshopper

Unread postby Grasshopper » Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:26 am

I consider myself really fortunate to be a member of a camp consisting of all family members, dad uncles cousins. We have some private ground, and public not terribly far away. It's great to have people to share the experience with. Our camp in the last week of archery is like what most would describe camps for the rifle opener. We all kinda grew as archery hunters together and have comraderee that I consider priceless.

My brother was always my closest hunting partner. He and I could talk strategy and tactics and I never had to worry about secrecy. He moved to Montana and I miss having a close hunting partner. We still talk about hunting all of the time, but we are mostly growing in different directions in our hunting styles.

Then I have friends who I text or call some in hunting season to check in, but generally don't talk much strategy or anything serious, because they are like old dogs and think their one trick is going to pay off eventually.
Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Unread postby Rob loper » Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:12 am

i moved to a new state so ive not met any real hunting buddies yet but back in newe jersey guys would get real jealous if i killed or seen bucks
i really got tired of the egos and jealousness couldnt stand it so i really started going alone i like to meet or get a huunting buddy but just dont wat the competition part of it or jealousy im not that guy i get more excited whenever i saw my buddies kill a nice buck its what its about men forget its not about themselves its about the journey getting there

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”