Going after does

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

treeroot
500 Club

Going after does

Unread postby treeroot » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:50 am

I'm tagged out buck wise. But I've been asked to go put a doe down to help a family in need of the meat. It's gun season, but I'd like to get it done with bow. I'm fairly certain with the rifle I can go out and snag one if the bow plan falls through.

Anyways I'd like to do this as a Ariel scout run and gun just to shake things up a bit. One time, one shot kind of deal. What would you guys key into? I hunt hilly farm country mostly in western NY. So figure on lots of gun pressure on them. No still hunting, tree only. I'm going to use what you recommend and pretend I have no knowledge of the land going into it. I'm new to the beast and want to see how you key into it.

Kraftd
500 Club

Re: Going after does

Unread postby Kraftd » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:55 am

This time of year, food, then figure out likely bedding and get between. I'd probably drive around huntable land and evening or two and see if I could find a feeding pattern.
treeroot
500 Club

Unread postby treeroot » Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:07 am

What's the angle you look for when aerial scouting?
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:21 am

IF it’s really windy and cold look on the leeward side of hills and valleys. Some place they can get out of the wind and stay warm. If the sun is shining on the leeward side, all the better. Keep the wind tunnel in mind, especially if you’re bow hunting.
treeroot
500 Club

Unread postby treeroot » Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:27 am

Thanks for the responses so far guys. Keep them coming.
treeroot
500 Club

Unread postby treeroot » Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:20 am

First sit was a bust. Property owners and friends did an unannounced deer drive at first light. I was sitting 30 yards into the woods on a slight incline. Doe bedding was another forty yards into the woods in a small swale. I was watching does still feeding at first light. Guys pull into the field edge and the does scattered through the filed edge to the neighboring property. Nothing in range not that it mattered since they were scooting through to fast.

I sat until they fished their drive which included pushing the small bedding area I was by. I didn't see one guy that even noticed the orange guy 20' up a pine tree. One guy did stop and look at my boot tracks but never followed them to my tree.

I'm going to give this another try on another property tomorrow am.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”