Swamp Scouting/Hunting

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

WIBowhunter22

Swamp Scouting/Hunting

Unread postby WIBowhunter22 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:27 pm

I hunt public land in Wisconsin and I found a new spot that really interests me. It's a swamp you access by walking across a soybean field, into a thin strip of hardwoods about 15 yards wide, and then it bottoms out into the swamp. On the other side of the swamp is marsh, a cedar cluster, and some good bedding areas. There are tracks everywhere in the soybean field and rubs on almost every tree in the hardwoods strip, and a few throughout the swamp. There are trails all over the hardwoods strip and they all lead to the swamp where they are lost in the water and mud. I hunted there once quick this fall during the rut and saw a doe being chased by an 8 pointer about 60 yards away. The islands in the swamp are very small, only big enough for 1-3 trees, which means I need chest waders to access (which is no problem). Any ideas of how to scout this type of area? I'm thinking about waiting until January when it's frozen and there is snow so I can see the tracks and trails better. Any advice would be helpful.

fishlips
500 Club

Re: Swamp Scouting/Hunting

Unread postby fishlips » Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:33 pm

Hard to say without seeing it but tracks may be tough to come by when there is ice. Most spots around me clear out when the ice forms. Snow can cover the sign. that said there are some places where even with snow on the ground you can start to get a sense of how the deer are using it.

Not saying that will be the case for your situation but it has happened to me. be careful on that ice though. it can get dicey.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”