Lease of farm

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Rich M
500 Club

Re: Lease of farm

Unread postby Rich M » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:10 am

There is a lot of that going on. I was on a lease $1500 for 90 acres in SC.

Lease holder seemed to think that you had to feed the deer, plant food plots, spread minerals, and did I say feed the deer - protein and corn. Those guys throw so much money away it isn't funny.

Then they add all these rules 4 pts one side and 14 inch wide min. They hunt all year and might shoot a buck every 2 or 3 years. They worry about where you shoot the deer and whatever else they can be nit-picky about. Were talking about going archery only :roll: .

I'd probably still have the 90 acres lease if it wasn't 6+ hours drive 1 way. Used to see a lot of deer and it was a good spot to take folks - unlimited does and 2 bucks allowed per year. An no - I would not buy into an archery only lease.

You have to make the call - can you find a better place for the same or less $$$$? Are you happy hunting there and not shooting anything? Do you want hunting to turn into a 12 month/year thing?

The land owner sounds confused - lots of folks do stuff like that and there is no way to talk sense into them.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:20 am

It really don't matter what "I" think, whats important is if you think its worth it to you. Sounds like to much doe killing for my blood if your trying to have bucks around. I also would have a hard time personally with not being able to move my stand or put up a new one once season starts. I would not be interested in hunting there for free... 2 grand could get you a week or 2 in Wisconsin hunting public land and seeing more bucks per sit than your seeing there.
weatherdude

Unread postby weatherdude » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:14 pm

I lease a farm in Osage County, Oklahoma (usually considered one of the better counties for deer hunting) and I believe the property is a little over 1000 acres. I have access to all but the 20 acres the landowner's house sits on and pay $1200 per year. $2000 sounds pretty darn steep for only 100 acres to hunt.
SamPotter
500 Club

Unread postby SamPotter » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:17 am

So, just for clarification, the $2000 is per person for just your 100 acre section? And some of that is probably open ag fields? Sounds crazy. It's Delaware, not Illinois. I can't stomach the idea of paying to hunt. I'd rather knock on a thousand doors and there's enough public land to keep me happy.
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:39 am

As others have mentioned, $2k is a bit steep. PLUS, I am not much of a rule follower when it comes to deer hunting :D Having guys tell me "how" its done and where I need to be and what 100 acre section I can hunt. Yikes. I will also say, MD and DE have LOT of people and much of the place is spoken for.

I am not against paying for ground. OR paying to be part of a hunting club like Mid America that has 200K acres of ground spread out over 3 or 4 states. They have no rules about how you hunt the piece. Just rules on how you secure the piece when you want to hunt it.

Leases are tough. Just like public ground, some leases are not worth anything.

I come from a different perspective because I live in a state where NO ONE pays to hunt and there is unlimited ground to hunt. BUT I travel to states where paying to hunt is big business and leases are EVERYWHERE and public ground is very limited.
Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Unread postby Rob loper » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:54 am

dan wrote:It really don't matter what "I" think, whats important is if you think its worth it to you. Sounds like to much doe killing for my blood if your trying to have bucks around. I also would have a hard time personally with not being able to move my stand or put up a new one once season starts. I would not be interested in hunting there for free... 2 grand could get you a week or 2 in Wisconsin hunting public land and seeing more bucks per sit than your seeing there.

I agree dan. 2k is alot. But i had no where to hunt when i moved here. And was like i said before in one of my posts ive hunted the same way every year ,year after year
Then this summer i bought your videos watched them to death. and you tube stuff too. When i did the light bulb went on i said to myself. You (talking to myself of course lol) your pounding this property 3-4 hunts same spot a week. But now i have been scouting like crazy like you have pushed in your tactics I actually am scratching this year and just scouting for next year. I found a few great spots already and now that rut is over i can really see fresh sign for next year. Im gonna late season hunt but my confidence into late december dwindles. Feel free to educate me on this thought process i always get late season depression or confidence
maybe i missing somthing about late season
Any way. From what you have taught me i dont need the lease. There is tons of public around me i can hunt
Besides. It saves me money to take your workshop lol
Thnks bro. Hunt like a beast!!!!!!!
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:37 am

Once you get more comfortable hunting late season and see some success you will gain more confidence.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”