Snow Cover and Late Archery Season

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

The Silence

Snow Cover and Late Archery Season

Unread postby The Silence » Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:02 am

My early archery season here in Iowa has been slower than normal for me as far as normal whitetail activity and sightings. I live quite a ways from where I normally hunt so for the most part I've had to rely on trail cams to monitor normal deer movement instead of glassing in the evenings. During the early season I also set up in stands that worked well as observation stands at times.

I haven't done this much in the past but I'm thinking about waiting for a snow fall of a few inches and then heading down there in hopes of trying to better pinpoint what's going on. I don't want to go deep into any cover but will stay mainly on the edges as they intersect with prime food sources. Like any farmer, the land owner travels around his farm periodically at various times during the day so for the most part deer down there are used to sporadic normal farm activity.

Have you guys ever done this in open farm county, and if so, any specifics that might come in handy? There's also a few places they seem to congregate during bad winter weather as well as a few south facing slopes.

Buckinator

Re: Snow Cover and Late Archery Season

Unread postby Buckinator » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:19 am

I have been wondering and planning the same. Give the wife a week break or two and hit up a few spots close to cover and food. Snow would be nice for fresh sign and tracking but not must. Revert to google eart timeline and find heavy trails from winter use. Usually best cover and bedding. What are good lateseason fields to hunt. Corn soy bean?

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”