2 days on public, which spot?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

JonNc

2 days on public, which spot?

Unread postby JonNc » Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:29 am

I have two days to hunt a public piece next week. This is a drawing hunt so not as much pressure as some public, but its still got some pressure. I scouted this in the summer and narrowed it down to two spots. I have not been able to scout since summer.

The peak rut here is around this time so keep that in mind.

Spot 1
This spot had the best buck bed I've ever seen. Even though it was in summer, it had hair in it and had the previous year's rub line with large rubs going from it. This tells me he has probably been bedding there throughout the year. This buck bed was actually on the bottom third of the hill (human access trail up top) and about 90 yards south from a large overgrown pond and a large creek 100 yards west of the bed. Both of these features would help funnel movement.

Spot 2
This spot there were multiple beds and even more rubs, but more sporadic. This spot looked like more deer used it and is a little further back from parking. It is an acorn flat with thick bedding off to the side. The beds were on points that got thick and then dropped off fairly steep. My wind would be more steady in this spot due to elevation. I would be very close to the bedding in this spot.

My question to you guys is would you spend time hunting a great buck bed you saw in summer that looked like it was used throughout the season, or focus on the other spot which had more beds and still a lot of buck sign from the previous fall? Again, this is around peak rut. My plan is to be aggressive since I have only 2 days and lots of land to move around on.

Thank you.

Brick1083

Re: 2 days on public, which spot?

Unread postby Brick1083 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:38 am

My advice might be a bit contrary to "Beast Hunting". I think it depends on your goals. You only have 2 days. If your only goal is to kill a giant or nothing else, then maybe consider hunting the single bed. However, I like venison even more than the antlers. If I had only 2 days to hunt, I'd go for the spot with more deer activity and hope for a mature doe or even an average buck.
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:10 am

Spot 2 sounds like doe bedding with food (acorns), and if it is up high and you can get a consistent wind that's where I would be. Doe bedding is where I would want to be during the rut. It is likely a buck will come by, and if not, shoot a doe. If there are no acorns then this spot may be a bust though. I would not put much faith in a summer buck bed even with lots of old sign from last year. Things can change considerably from year to year, and bucks are traveling way out of their normal range during the rut. Doe bedding is usually fairly consistent from year to year. Good luck whatever your choice.
Last edited by brancher147 on Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:11 am

Why wouldn't you throw a day at each one. If the wind cooperates. Often times the best primary mature buck bedding isn't a single well worn bed. It's multiple beds for all the different winds.

Also, I'm sure spot #1 being a single bed, is wind specific. So you need to have the right wind to hunt it. Hunting downwind of spot #2 during the rut, for cruising buck should also be productive.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:18 am

tgreeno wrote:Why wouldn't you throw a day at each one. If the wind cooperates. Often times the best primary mature buck bedding isn't a single well worn bed. It's multiple beds for all the different winds.

Also, I'm sure spot #1 being a single bed, is wind specific. So you need to have the right wind to hunt it. Hunting downwind of spot #2 during the rut, for cruising buck should also be productive.

Or since it's rut, hunt the buck bed in the morning, then move to some doe bedding for mid morning. Then you still have an afternoon and whole other day for another spot.
Abishai

Unread postby Abishai » Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:42 am

I'm with Brick.

It sounds like 2 has food and will probably have does. Depending on the rut phase, the buck will be with does, or post-rut he'll be eating food to replenish lost reserves. I'd go with spot 2.
“If you consider an unsuccessful hunt to be a waste of time, then the true meaning of the chase eludes you all together.”– Fred Bear
DaHunter

Unread postby DaHunter » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:13 am

I'd go with #2 assuming the wind works. Or maybe start with #2 and if nothing, switch to #1. Fresh sign (or lack of) will tell you if you should stay or move.
JonNc

Unread postby JonNc » Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:25 pm

Thanks guys for the replies. I may throw one morning hunt at the buck bed, but will probably spend most of my time around spot 2. I agree with the abundance of "deer" sign that I might have better chances catching a cruising buck or a buck already with a doe.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”